• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd be really interested to see if he picks Foley at 10.

Cheika fell out of love with Bernard at the back end of last year, if you recall. Kurtley got a run at 10, and To'omua finished the year there.

With Bernard still struggling to find his best form and Lealiifano now looming, I don't think it's a lay-down misere that he will opt for Foley, though we all assume that he will.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Cheika fell out of love with Bernard at the back end of last year, if you recall. Kurtley got a run at 10, and To'omua finished the year there.

With Bernard still struggling to find his best form and Lealiifano now looming, I don't think it's a lay-down misere that he will opt for Foley, though we all assume that he will.

I agree. My gut feeling is that he will, initially, although as I stated earlier, I wouldn't be surprised or bothered either way. I think both will get opportunities to press. I'd be far more bothered if we didn't see Kerevi and Kuridrani lining up.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Likewise, didn’t he drop Beale last year as well.

I’ve had issues with Cheika’s selections, but I don’t think that he has had that many options banging down the door. Even now, I think Leali’ifano & Banks will be unlucky if they aren’t in the first test line up, but I don’t think you can say the have played so well that it would be a travesty.

In other positions, like 6 & 8 there are some guys who have really put there hands up to be included, but the form of our halves and back 3 have been a bit patchy. It’s almost always the case that it is harder to get dropped then it is to be picked.

I would be very surprised if there wasn’t at least 1-2 left field selections in the 23 though. There almost always is (although we possibly don’t always agree who exactly).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Khunt?

There were at least three starters for every position in the backline last year, except for fullback where DHP and Izzy shared things

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Foley and Lealiifano are pretty interchangeable style wise, neither kicks long, but they are both essentially reliable and look best squaring up and attacking the gain line

Unfortunately that requires some pigs going forward first

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it’s realistic to expect more go forward from our pack then we’ve seen for a long time.

Pretty much any combination of the forwards chooses, with the possible exception of Liam Wright will be more physical and better at the gain line then any of our packs for at least the last 4-5 years I would have thought. If we get caught out it will be with regards to athleticism/mobility and/or technique.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Might be an interesting exercise to compare the usual starters from the last 4-odd years with the probables for 2019.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think it’s realistic to expect more go forward from our pack then we’ve seen for a long time.

Pretty much any combination of the forwards chooses, with the possible exception of Liam Wright will be more physical and better at the gain line then any of our packs for at least the last 4-5 years I would have thought. If we get caught out it will be with regards to athleticism/mobility and/or technique.
I dunno, if you are entirely reliant on go-forward in the modern game you are going to struggle. The advent of the 'rush' (constantly offside) defense means its bloody impossible even if you have a heaving, musclebound safa pack to get consistent go forward.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

That's my impression too. The pack is looking better than for some time. If they gel as a unit I think the backs will have plenty to work with.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno, if you are entirely reliant on go-forward in the modern game you are going to struggle. The advent of the 'rush' (constantly offside) defense means its bloody impossible even if you have a heaving, musclebound safa pack to get consistent go forward.
Front foot ball is as valuable as ever. It is just harder to achieve and teams need a game plan which both achieves it against rush defence and mixed play up when you can’t.

The point of my post remains - the current forward pack, on paper at least, gives us the best chance we’ve had to achieve front foot ball. How often and what we do with it will likely depend on tactics. With some of our previous packs it was very hard to achieve.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The rush defence does need to be better policed by refs and ARs, as does the "Umbrella" defence option with the 13 often offside in this pattern. That said what makes the rush so effective against Australian sides is the woeful kicking game, often just banging it long. Against a good counter attacking side our sides have struggled.

The other thing making Australian sides struggle is the fact that our players far too often surrender early in the tackle. There are numerous examples of players who will drive and stay alive for those few seconds more and they seem to beat the contact "run at spaces not faces". The best example I can give of this is Matera from the Jaguares, a player not significantly different in physical proportions to his Australian contemporaries, but would beat any and all of them hands down in all aspects of loose forward play, but in particular his work post contact with the tackler.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The whole static pods thing isn’t working for us either.

And I think our attack last year perfectly underlined the old, but still true - you have to earn the right to go wide.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Here's the preferred Wallabies lineup as voted by 1500 viewers at The Roar. Pretty useful. Banks at 15 and Hodge>Beale would be my main questions, with Kepu>Tupou also an interesting debate. Largely agree with the rest.

1. Scott Sio
2. Folau Fainga’a
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Rory Arnold
5. Izack Rodda
6. Luke Jones
7. Michael Hooper
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Will Genia
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Jack Maddocks
15. Tom Banks

Reserves
16. Jordan Uelese
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Rob Simmons
20. Jack Dempsey
21. Nic White
22. Reece Hodge
23. Dane Haylett-Petty

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/...-to-face-the-springboks-as-voted-by-the-fans/

Status
Not open for further replies.