• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Maddocks capitalised on all of the great work being done early in the year by Genia, Cooper, and Meakes, who created a tonne of space out wide for him to stroll over almost untouched.........

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wingers.PNG

Here are my stats on the three wingers with the most minutes at each Super club this season. Maddocks has the second-fewest metres per run, linebreaks, and tackle busts per ten runs, and the worst tackle success rate. His best (and only noteworthy) stat is tries scored (for which Slim (I think accurately) credits the inside backs).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The pathological distaste for Beale is widespread. Banks over Beale at 15 makes sense and rewards form. Hodge over Beale at 22 is ridiculous.

Hodge is in career worst form and himself admitted that hes at risk of not making the squad let alone the team.

Sheesh.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Stats suggest that each fullback has something different to offer the team. I'd be going with DHP, but, failing that, there's a real argument to be made for Hegarty (not that it would ever happen). Seriously, the only things Hegarty has not excelled at this year are offloads and linebreak assists.

Fullbacks.PNG

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The pathological distaste for Beale is widespread. Banks over Beale at 15 makes sense and rewards form. Hodge over Beale at 22 is ridiculous.

It's funny how we often sour on players who other countries view as dangerous. My Kiwi rugby mates all rate Beale highly, and he's held in pretty high regard over in the NH. Same with Hooper.

But we tend to see the flaws, or fixate on them a bit more. Which is not to say anyone is right or wrong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale will never recover in terms of the way many fans see him for the whole McKenzie/Patston situation. Clearly he was culpable there but certainly wasn't solely responsible for McKenzie's downfall.

The same exists in every sport but there are definitely a bunch of players who polarise fans and opinions regarding them off field cloud the way their on field play and form is viewed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's funny how we often sour on players who other countries view as dangerous. My Kiwi rugby mates all rate Beale highly, and he's held in pretty high regard over in the NH. Same with Hooper.

But we tend to see the flaws, or fixate on them a bit more. Which is not to say anyone is right or wrong.

It depends if you are happy to deal with Beale's fluxuations - he can be a rooster one minute and a feather duster the next at test level.

I believe the RWC is going to be all about defense and as such he is going to struggle against the good line speed and kick chases

We have seen against good line speed he goes too lateral running his supports over the sideline and on kick return against good chases he struggles to get over the gain line.

We have DHP for 15 - who is safer under the high ball. gets over the ad line breaking that first tackle consistently and has proven he can do it at test level. And Kerevi at 12 (no explanation necessary)

So to me he is a bench option at best to spark the last 20 minutes

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
My distaste for Beale come's from the damage he's caused to the game, and the leeway he's been given despite being a dickhead.

I'm with FP - he's a bench option atm. Banks gets to start with DHP, Koribete on the other wing.

If Beiber proves to be as good as he was, i'd love to see him on the wing with Banks and Koriobete, Beale coming off the bench if needed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd definitely have Valetini in my test team for the Saffas in place of Dempsey.

I also query Kepu > Tupou, Maddocks on the wing and Hodge as backup No 10. The latter case, I would have one of Foley or To'omua on the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd definitely have Valetini in my test team for the Saffas in place of Dempsey.

I also query Kepu > Tupou, Maddocks on the wing and Hodge as backup No 10. The latter case, I would have one of Foley or To'omua on the bench.
Stop being so agreeable; its unsettling.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd like to see this rolled out v the Jaapies

Sio
Fainga'a
AAA
Arnold
Rodda
Jones
Hooper
Naisirani

White - (Kicking game essential at altitude or we'll never leave our 22)
Lealiifano
Koirobete
Kerevi
TK
Banks
DHP (they'll swap around a bit anyway)

Slipper
Uelese
Thor
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Dempsey
Genia
Foley
Beale

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
View attachment 10882

Here are my stats on the three wingers with the most minutes at each Super club this season. Maddocks has the second-fewest metres per run, linebreaks, and tackle busts per ten runs, and the worst tackle success rate. His best (and only noteworthy) stat is tries scored (for which Slim (I think accurately) credits the inside backs).

Looking at that you'd have to think Speight's been hard done by this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Maddocks capitalised on all of the great work being done early in the year by Genia, Cooper, and Meakes, who created a tonne of space out wide for him to stroll over almost untouched...

He did, but it is also part of a units skill set to be in that right position, running the right line to stroll over almost untouched

Status
Not open for further replies.