• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The other big question, along with who will play flyhalf next year, is who is going to captain the team?

Lilo, Carter and Pocock gone..........

Based on the experienced players remaining, Joe Powell would have to be a strong favourite, although if Nic White signs on that could be a problem.........

Tom Cusack has the credentials, had a successful stint as captain with the Vikings in the NRC, and seemed to be the only guaranteed starter in the backrowers this year......... but that probably won't be the case going forward and since he'll be spending time with the Sevens team next year that should definitely rule him out.

Pete Samu and McCaffrey would also be good candidates - both of them experienced, smart footballers who lead from the front.......... although Samu is probably the only guaranteed starter of the two, but it will only be his second year at the club.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I believe AAA has been part of the leadership group at the Brumbies, and Wallabies...........

He generally has to play 60-70 mins too...........

But IMO props as captain doesn't work.

Sorry fatties......... not sorry.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bang on BR. Not often i say that.

I agree as well, just think that he may end up as the options, the others we are looking at ain't proven at Super Rugby yet and if get found wanting we need to have some options.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Captain for next year, I think its a good shout that Slippery Pete should get the gig... Wallaby, successful, experienced in a high performance outfit like the Crusaders.

Other then that I could see it being AAA/Sio signed on long term deals been around for ever, you could have Sio as Captain Slipper as VC and swap as they come on or off the field.

In the Backline your probably looking at Powell as Captain or left field, maybe Banks.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't like having a captain that you know you're going to sub off with half an hour to go.

McCaffrey would be my choice, but I also don't like having a captain who isn't first name on the team sheet. I can see a world where our backrow next season is Valetini-Samu-McCaffrey, and I'd like that, but I can also see Cusack or Brown forcing their way into the starting 7 jersey and that would likely push McCaffrey to the bench.

People who have concerns about a player coming in recently not being a suitable captain should remember just how good Mowen was (though I am also a believer that Mowen is a once-in-a-generation perfect captain so of course I was going to bring him up), so recent arrivals should not be quickly dismissed.

If Nic White returns, give it to him. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider any backs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
People who have concerns about a player coming in recently not being a suitable captain should remember just how good Mowen was (though I am also a believer that Mowen is a once-in-a-generation perfect captain so of course I was going to bring him up), so recent arrivals should not be quickly dismissed.

It was a bit different with Mowen as it was a complete team overhaul with new coaches and largely new playing squad.........

In saying that I certainly wouldn't discount Samu for the reasons listed above.

I wouldn't consider White as he's not a guaranteed starter with Powell.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't like having a captain that you know you're going to sub off with half an hour to go.

McCaffrey would be my choice, but I also don't like having a captain who isn't first name on the team sheet. I can see a world where our backrow next season is Valetini-Samu-McCaffrey, and I'd like that, but I can also see Cusack or Brown forcing their way into the starting 7 jersey and that would likely push McCaffrey to the bench.

Roffy, I think Will Miller will displace Tom Cusack as back up or maybe starting No 7. I can see Tom being considered for his best spot only, being No 6. But even there, he will likely be behind Rob Valetini.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
so that leaves the captaincy positon very much up in the air.

Joe Powell may have to be the man

9 is obviously a good position for the captain. Anyone with some inside knowledge with the Brumbies - is Powell a "leader" within the team, or is he too "young" to take that role? Would seem to make the most sense to me if the former applies. He's likely to be around for a good while too, obviously the dreaded overseas drain notwithstanding.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Powell is a good on-the-field leader. Look at the role he played in the wins against the Bulls and the Hurricanes in 2018: lots of pressure on the team defensively, definitely no scope for the team to shut-up shop, and he's constantly roaming the backline to shut down defensive gaps and shouting orders the whole time. In that sense, he's a natural, and definitely a leader.

But he already has a streak for arguing with the ref, and that won't help him in the long run one bit. He also has a historic record of misusing penalties, and that decision making is a key part of captaincy.

I'd be making McCaffrey captain and Powell vice-captain, but calling them "co-captains" so Powell can get experience in dealing with the ref. Get McCaffrey to talk to Powell before making a call, so he can build some experience there as well. Then we're future-proofing the leadership of the team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It might be a tendency among halfbacks, but I can’t say I've noticed Powell arguing with referees or misusing penalties?

And McCaffrey won’t be a guaranteed starter.........

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
DEPARTING PLAYERS
Christian Lealiifano (Japan), David Pocock (Japan), Henry Speight (Queensland), Josh Mann-Rea (retired), Rory Arnold (France), Sam Carter (Ireland), Chance Peni (Japan), Wharenui Hawera (Japan), Jordan Jackson-Hope (Japan), Ben Hyne (TBC).

THE RECRUITS
Will Miller (NSW), Len Ikitau (academy), Darcy Swain (academy), Noah Lolesio (academy), Tom Ross (academy), Mack Hansen (academy), Nick Frost (Crusaders), Reesjan Pasitoa (Nudgee College).
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...bank-on-unknown-rookies-for-rebuild/?cs=14240

No news of Makin departing permanently, and turns out the only confirmation of him being in Japan is for the current Top League season. Could be great news for keeping this front row stock together.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
so that leaves the captaincy position very much up in the air.

Joe Powell may have to be the man

Banks; Clear head, reasonably calm, involved in the play-making, makes good decisions (so far) and has a good overview of the proceedings @15.

Joe and Slipper as deputies;

Joe as it will help his developments and he is right there next to the ref as required.

Slipper is the old wise head and mentor. The master can guide the Padawan's and help bring the calm to close out the games.

A Banks / Joe leadership will also help guide our new 10's who will need guidance and reassurance.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There were reports that Pete Samu was very quiet when he first came to the Wallaby squad but he could be a decent softly spoken, lead by example sort of captain. Guys like McCaffery can cover the gee up speeches if need be. Of course, he’s relatively new to the club and may well be completely unsuited to role but he seems to have an air of quiet confidence that others would follow.

Ted McMahon

Stan Wickham (3)
Next year we have a high number of inexperienced super rugby players coming into the backs and it makes sense to have the captain working with these guys from the back. Joe Powell is the obvious leader. Maybe a bit young at 25 year old but a potential key turning point in his career.
Pete Samu and McCaffrey would be a balanced choice for co-captain. Coaches to select the one that has the most respect and influence on the players? Forget Slipper. Slipper's of field indiscretions prove that his mental strength is not worthy of leading a team of young players. Good experience as a forward for the team but not as a leader.

Ted McMahon

Stan Wickham (3)
backs-depth-png.10874

RoffsChoice. A few changes at the Reds. It is rumoured that McGahan (Waratahs), Tela (?) and Wileman (Waratahs) are gone and Stewart looking elsewhere. JOC (James O'Connor) most likely at the Reds. A reshuffle could be Hegarty at flyhalf with Carter Gordon on the bench. JOC (James O'Connor) at inside centre and Issac Lucas at fullback. A bit light on back up. How long is Magnay's contract at the Rebels?