• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Genia retiring from International rugby post WC. He wanted a 24month deal, RA offered him 18. So he then goes to Japan and retires from international rugby....can't help thing that RA really should have gone for 24 months......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Genia retiring from International rugby post WC. He wanted a 24month deal, RA offered him 18. So he then goes to Japan and retires from international rugby..can't help thing that RA really should have gone for 24 months..

He would still be eligible for test rugby overseas, so I doubt that's a factor into his retirement..........

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He would still be eligible for test rugby overseas, so I doubt that's a factor into his retirement....

It could be a massive factor - he strongly indicated he wanted to stay in Melbourne, but RA wouldn't go another 6 months - so not only did he reject their offer, he makes himself unavailable from overseas. RA would definitely have thought they could pick him from overseas - but he has closed that door.

If RA had offered the extra 6 months, not only could Genia be playing Super Rugby, but would be a Wallaby option.

Retiring could be him giving RA the finger for not giving him that 6 months.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It could be a massive factor - he strongly indicated he wanted to stay in Melbourne, but RA wouldn't go another 6 months - so not only did he reject their offer, he makes himself unavailable from overseas. RA would definitely have thought they could pick him from overseas - but he has closed that door.

If RA had offered the extra 6 months, not only could Genia be playing Super Rugby, but would be a Wallaby option.

Fairly elaborate theory. He's on 100+ caps and will be 32 next year. He's probably just done.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
What are you basing this on UptheReds? It's a perfect time for the RA to set up the next generation of halfbacks as if required, Will can be drafted in for the international games.

There are 3 halfbacks at the Reds that have all shown glimpses of promises, Jake Gordon at the Tahs, White and Powell at the Brumbies (I don't know who is there for the Rebels).

Why should we pay through the roof for Will who's close to proper retirement?

Reactions: Tex

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Halfback selection next year should actually be pretty interesting. You'd think Powell would be the favourite to take over the 9 jersey - depending on how White fairs.

McDermott and Gordon should be both be in with a very good chance of earning a cap.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

I heard he wanted a 3yr deal not 2. Also maybe his Japanese contract is based on him retiring.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There'd be little point continuing after this RWC if better money is available elsewhere. He's hit 100 caps, won Super rugby and played in a RWC final. He won't make it to the next RWC so what would be the point? to get his ass handed to him in a few more Bledisloe's?
Only point would be to prop up the Rebels

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not many would have expected Genia to be there much longer than this year anyway, a good time to go and well done to him on an outstanding career.

I don't think we'll be in a bad position for halves next year without Genia. We'll still have the experience of Nic White (hopefully, he plays as well for the Wallabies as he's reported to have up north) and Powell alongside McDermott and Gordon will have an open field to try and stake their claim as the next long term half.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some of Beale's "defending" would be an embarrassment to an under 10. Absolutely disgraceful for a professional.

I hate to have to say this, but Beale has been a better defender than Banks this year, and has contributed more in terms linebreaks, linebreak assists, effective offloads, and kick metres than Banks. Banks only really has the advantage on Beale in terms of his tries scored, metres per run, and tackle busts.

2017 and 2018 Tom Banks was a brilliant defender, 2019 Tom Banks raised some serious questions. I am amazed that people are happier with the idea of picking him at 15 than Beale.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hate to have to say this, but Beale has been a better defender than Banks this year, and has contributed more in terms linebreaks, linebreak assists, effective offloads, and kick metres than Banks. Banks only really has the advantage on Beale in terms of his tries scored, metres per run, and tackle busts.

2017 and 2018 Tom Banks was a brilliant defender, 2019 Tom Banks raised some serious questions. I am amazed that people are happier with the idea of picking him at 15 than Beale.
Those are pretty important metrics.

I don't think there is much between them.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Those are pretty important metrics.
I don't think there is much between them.
I think they're playing very different games, but Banks is giving you numbers you want from a centre or a winger, whereas Beale is giving you numbers you want from an attacking fullback.

Meanwhile, look at DHP and Hegarty. They're giving you great fullback stats, and they eye test backs that up.

Tom Banks:
Tries: 6
Metres per run: 9.9
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.69
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 3.31
Effective Offloads: 8
Assists per pass: 0.13
Metres per kick: 32.6
Tackles: 38
Tackle success rate: 69.1%

Kurtley Beale:
Tries: 3
Metres per run: 8.1
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.88
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 2.65
Effective Offloads: 19
Assists per pass: 0.09
Metres per kick: 37.1
Tackles: 45
Tackle success rate: 69.2%
Dane Haylett-Petty:
Tries: 2
Metres per run: 8.6
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.33
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 2.56
Effective Offloads: 9
Assists per pass: 0.24
Metres per kick: 39.7
Tackles: 41
Tackle success rate: 77.4%
Bryce Hegarty:
Tries: 7
Metres per run: 8.4
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.86
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 3.58
Effective Offloads: 5
Assists per pass: 0.05
Metres per kick: 33.9
Tackles: 92
Tackle success rate: 85.2%

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will's knees are absolutely shot, from memory he's been getting that synthetic injection regularly for the past couple of years. Can't blame the bloke for cashing out in Japan.

Do those injections work for old farts with arthritis?
(asking for a friend)

Reactions: TSR

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Based on this, it's seems very likely we'll see Beale at 15 to inject himself as a ball player and Banks competing for the other spot on the wing. I'd probably have Banks ahead of DHP and Maddocks in terms of form but DHP has almost always been a very reliable option for us and they've always backed Maddocks ability to sniff out a try. Don't think we'll be pleasing everyone with the 14-15 combination this year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The problem with stats is they do not tell the whole story. Just like the one with the number of tries scored and the likely correct attribution of that to the inside backs. I haven't been that impressed with Banks, nothing but a subjective view there, I don't know why but just doesn't give me any confidence, I'd take him any day over Beale.

As for Beale, I do not care what he plays like for the Tahs or anybody else. He did his dash with me, and apparently with many others in Australian Rugby because of his recurrent bad behaviour. It certainly doesn't help him that his form on the field has never been consistent or that good as to make anybody want to excuse that bad behaviour. Certainly other players have had their cards marked 'never again' for far less than he has done and the double standard sits poorly with a significant number of people.

As for the Beale matter it obviously doesn't matter to Cheika and hasn't mattered at all to RA, and behaviour is not any real condition since they are now bringing back JOC (James O'Connor) as well. Still expecting ethics and integrity from a management group that has Clyne at the head is silly in itself, him having been in charge of a bank (along with others) exposed for selling products to dead people etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think they're playing very different games, but Banks is giving you numbers you want from a centre or a winger, whereas Beale is giving you numbers you want from an attacking fullback.

Meanwhile, look at DHP and Hegarty. They're giving you great fullback stats, and they eye test backs that up.

Tom Banks:
Tries: 6
Metres per run: 9.9
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.69
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 3.31
Effective Offloads: 8
Assists per pass: 0.13
Metres per kick: 32.6
Tackles: 38
Tackle success rate: 69.1%

Kurtley Beale:
Tries: 3
Metres per run: 8.1
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.88
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 2.65
Effective Offloads: 19
Assists per pass: 0.09
Metres per kick: 37.1
Tackles: 45
Tackle success rate: 69.2%

Dane Haylett-Petty:
Tries: 2
Metres per run: 8.6
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.33
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 2.56
Effective Offloads: 9
Assists per pass: 0.24
Metres per kick: 39.7
Tackles: 41
Tackle success rate: 77.4%

Bryce Hegarty:
Tries: 7
Metres per run: 8.4
Linebreaks per 10 runs: 0.86
Tackle Busts per 10 runs: 3.58
Effective Offloads: 5
Assists per pass: 0.05
Metres per kick: 33.9
Tackles: 92
Tackle success rate: 85.2%

are those stats all from their respective games at fullback?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I would be amazed to see Banks get a serious run this year in any games that are important, bench at best

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
are those stats all from their respective games at fullback?
Hegarty includes his numbers from the 10 games at 10 and the 5 games at 15. However, the main difference between them on a game-by-game basis is his number of assists per pass, where most have occurred at 10, so the stats do appear to be indicative of his overall game.

Beale is meant to have the 4 games at 12 removed, but the formulae may have screwed up, so you might also imagine that it is divided between 4 games at 12, 9 at 15, and 1 off the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still think Beale will get the first crack at 15 with DHP on the wing.

I'd be pretty tempted to start Banks over DHP as I think DHP's form has been most average this season out of the three and certainly Banks would be more threatening in attack on the wing.

Anyway, we'll find out in just under a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.