• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Really not convinced that Uni are Premiership material after fielding a near Super Rugby side today and struggling to win against a standard Easts side (no Mack Mason) by just 10 points (3 tries to 2).
Nice to see Matty Philip run on in Hoops again. Nicky Phipps with a few minutes too.
Stags unlucky today. Windy windy Millner strikes again. Woods not super impressive.
Manly should have put a cricket score on against Southern. That they didn't shows they won't feature in Finals.
Randwick proved nothing beating a tough WSTB. Up at half-time only to fade in the second 40.
Rats securing favouritism every week (except last).
Next week will cement top 6. Round 18 should just be a Bye...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Aside from Adams I thought Nawaqanitawese also looked the goods whenever he touched the ball and will find himself in a Super team in due course. Muliufi is a handful at inside and won the man of the match award, he may need to be a few kgs lighter if he’s to step up.

Icly (I think that's how you spell it) has been good every time I've seen him play this year. Can also run.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Didn't get much of a look in at the Rebels over the past couple of years. Certainly behind Quade this year, b ut I think was in the lineup in 2018 but hardly got on the field if at all.

Meanwhile, that was a much more enjoyable and more highly skilled game than last week's rubbish served up by Warringah and Norths. And in difficult windy conditions too.

It's games like those that make me wonder where the game would be if the clubs were able to sort their shit out in the early 90s and we had a 12-16 team club competition in the place of Super Rugby. Very enjoyable to watch.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aside from Adams I thought Nawaqanitawese also looked the goods whenever he touched the ball and will find himself in a Super team in due course. Muliufi is a handful at inside and won the man of the match award, he may need to be a few kgs lighter if he’s to step up.

In a case of mostly mistaken identity. Main caller had him running the ball almost everytime Pat Sio was making the hitup. It sometimes is the case that callers focus on their particular favourite and see him in situations when he's not even near the ball.:rolleyes:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gordon had a bit of bad luck, based on the commentators' opinions of a try each way: one that the commentators believed Gordon should have had, but didn't, and one the other way for us. 14 points, I guess. On the other hand, from what I saw, we more than had their measure.

Robbie Coleman was pretty good. I do wonder exactly how many home-grown products are in the Gordon side, and what has happened to all the good reserve graders they have produced over the years.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
Gordon had a bit of bad luck, based on the commentators' opinions of a try each way: one that the commentators believed Gordon should have had, but didn't, and one the other way for us. 14 points, I guess. On the other hand, from what I saw, we more than had their measure.

Robbie Coleman was pretty good. I do wonder exactly how many home-grown products are in the Gordon side, and what has happened to all the good reserve graders they have produced over the years.

How many Eastwood home grown ? No doubt investing in there colts program to keep it going. Or just buy new recruits each year

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How many Eastwood home grown ? No doubt investing in there colts program to keep it going. Or just buy new recruits each year

Gordon has, allegedly, the largest junior rugby catchment in the nation (according to the ground announcer a couple of years ago). They have had some really good reserve graders over the years, which is usually the sign of a very healthy club.

Home grown is a bit of a loaded term, I guess. Put it another way, many of our first grade team have come up through the grades.

I want to see Gordon return to greatness. Building on their own talent is the best way to do that.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
Really not convinced that Uni are Premiership material after fielding a near Super Rugby side today and struggling to win against a standard Easts side (no Mack Mason) by just 10 points (3 tries to 2).
Nice to see Matty Philip run on in Hoops again. Nicky Phipps with a few minutes too.

Yeah I was at the game and I'm not sure where Uni's attack has gone in recent weeks; they were pretty dominant in the first half but were somewhat lucky to go into half time up two tries. I think their backs are going to sleep with their preference to scrum which is a shame as players like Armstrong look pretty good ball-in-hand (Potter not so much in recent weeks).

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Gordon has, allegedly, the largest junior rugby catchment in the nation (according to the ground announcer a couple of years ago). They have had some really good reserve graders over the years, which is usually the sign of a very healthy club.

Home grown is a bit of a loaded term, I guess. Put it another way, many of our first grade team have come up through the grades.

I want to see Gordon return to greatness. Building on their own talent is the best way to do that.

Agreed. Eastwood had as many Gordon Juniors as Gordon yesterday in the starting sides (Icely & Piukala). Maguire & Rorke (Gordon).

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)

Its funny you say that, as i had the same convo with someone else couple of weeks ago when they played us at souhs, and didnt realise myself they have a few. based on this weeks team in 1st grade - they had 8 players who are either juniors, come through colts or been at the club 5 plus years. I think thats actually not bad compared to others.

Souths had 7 (either juniors, colts or 5 plus years), wests 4/5. parra 8.

Gordon 2s had 12 from colts, juniors or 5 plus years, and in their 3s and 4s from when they played us. from their lower grade team of 45 in 3s and 4s they had 35 juniors colts or 5 plus years.

i can see many more coming through from their colts to their grade next year who will all stick around while mr coleman is still there.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Its funny you say that, as i had the same convo with someone else couple of weeks ago when they played us at souhs, and didnt realise myself they have a few. based on this weeks team in 1st grade - they had 8 players who are either juniors, come through colts or been at the club 5 plus years. I think thats actually not bad compared to others.

Souths had 7 (either juniors, colts or 5 plus years), wests 4/5. parra 8.

Gordon 2s had 12 from colts, juniors or 5 plus years, and in their 3s and 4s from when they played us. from their lower grade team of 45 in 3s and 4s they had 35 juniors colts or 5 plus years.

i can see many more coming through from their colts to their grade next year who will all stick around while mr coleman is still there.

In summary, yes Gordon need to do more to retain locals at the elite end of the club - the way to solve this is getting them in colts (which will take some years to flow through). Lower grades is not a problem with locals.

Numbers are a bit off though Rorke, Margin, Maguire, Goddard, Walton, Fraser fit into your category in 1st grade.

GentleGiant

Allen Oxlade (6)
In summary, yes Gordon need to do more to retain locals at the elite end of the club - the way to solve this is getting them in colts (which will take some years to flow through). Lower grades is not a problem with locals.

Numbers are a bit off though Rorke, Margin, Maguire, Goddard, Walton, Fraser fit into your category in 1st grade.

Im pretty sure silk and barker have come through colts as well - so 8.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Local derby round this Saturday - assume that 7Two will be at Rat Park?

West Harbour v Eastwood Concord Oval
Southern Districts v Sydney University Forshaw Rugby Park
Eastern Suburbs v Randwick Woollahra Oval
Northern Suburbs v Gordon North Sydney Oval
Warringah v Manly Pittwater Rugby Park

Warringah 52
Eastwood 52
Northern Suburbs 51
Sydney University 49
Manly 42
Gordon 38
Eastern Suburbs 37
Randwick 32
Southern Districts 31
West Harbour 26
W S Two Blues 7

With only 3 rounds left (including this Saturday), the top 4 look set and it's hard to see any of the bottom 4 getting there, which means Manly, Gordon and Easts are fighting it out for the last 2 spots in the Top 6.

There are some interesting games;

Wests always give Eastwood a close one and this shapes as a danger game for the Woods. A Wests win wouldn't surprise.

Uni with rep players back should account for Souths.

Easts have more to play for on the carpet at Woolahra, but Randwick would enjoy nothing more than knocking the Beasts out of the finals. A Randwick win on the cards.

Norths looking for a minor premiership should be too strong for Gordon.

Manly don't seem to be able to play for 80 minutes and Warringah are playing some great rugby. Rats too good (through gritted teeth :D)

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Remaining Matches

Rats - Manly, Two Blues, Souths
Eastwood - Wests, Souths, Easts
Norths - Gordon, Uni, Randwick
Uni - Souths, Norths, Wests
Manly - Rats, Wests, Bye
Gordon - Norths, Easts, Two Blues
Easts - Randwick, Gordon, Eastwood
Randwick - Easts, Bye, Norths

Manly with a bye and Easts playing Randwick and Gordon make it hard for Manly to miss the finals. Gordon v Easts on 27th looks the critical match.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wests will be fired up, that is for sure. I wonder whether Tayler Adams will turn out against his old club?? Maybe his injury last weekend was strategic!!

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Local derby round this Saturday - assume that 7Two will be at Rat Park?

West Harbour v Eastwood Concord Oval
Southern Districts v Sydney University Forshaw Rugby Park
Eastern Suburbs v Randwick Woollahra Oval
Northern Suburbs v Gordon North Sydney Oval
Warringah v Manly Pittwater Rugby Park

Warringah 52
Eastwood 52
Northern Suburbs 51
Sydney University 49
Manly 42
Gordon 38
Eastern Suburbs 37
Randwick 32
Southern Districts 31
West Harbour 26
W S Two Blues 7

With only 3 rounds left (including this Saturday), the top 4 look set and it's hard to see any of the bottom 4 getting there, which means Manly, Gordon and Easts are fighting it out for the last 2 spots in the Top 6.

There are some interesting games;

Wests always give Eastwood a close one and this shapes as a danger game for the Woods. A Wests win wouldn't surprise.

Uni with rep players back should account for Souths.

Easts have more to play for on the carpet at Woolahra, but Randwick would enjoy nothing more than knocking the Beasts out of the finals. A Randwick win on the cards.

Norths looking for a minor premiership should be too strong for Gordon.

Manly don't seem to be able to play for 80 minutes and Warringah are playing some great rugby. Rats too good (through gritted teeth :D)

Nick Phipps and Lachie Swinton named to start. J.Gordon, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Matt Philip most likely on the bench. Southern will get a whoopin', not 'cos the Super Rugby players are back, just 'cos they've played like busteds all year. Shame 'cos its SDRC 30th Birthday and a big match day for them.
Battle of the Beaches LIVE on 7Two. Hope the MMM faithful pack the place out, but Rats too strong. Happy to be wrong, but would hate to see Eastwood sit atop the ladder with their tame run home in the final rounds. A Wests win would be great, but Eastwood rise up at Concord - memories of Grand Finals past.
Gordon to go one try better than Round 8 and get the better of Northern.
Randwick can't beat Easts. They have been mostly ordinary all year and Easts pushed Uni around at Woollahra last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.