• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 1: South Africa v Australia, Sunday 21 July 1:05am AEST

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While Thor is certainly the future, I think Kepu is probably still regarded as the stronger scrummager, and thus preferred against the Boks run-on front row, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Thor retain the replacement jumper and Kepu to drop out altogether when AAA returns

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just made some comparisons based off Wikipedia data which I know may not be entirely accurate. It looks like it's going to be a big clash between the packs.

savaus.PNG

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes, perhaps Liddell was more a windmill of bones while Hodge does a good impression of a monopedal aquatic bird. Neither of the two would be described as poetry in motion.

But God made Liddell fast. I have to confess, as a former sprinter, Liddell is one of my heroes.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hodge is lucky to be in the 23 let alone starting wing!

On form I agree, but I thought he's actually performed pretty well on the wing for the Wallabies and he does bring an extra element to the team with his long range kicking. I'm ok with him getting a start. It's his spot to lose and there's a good chance he will lose it if he doesn't do what we want from our wingers (i.e. score tries).

Reactions: TSR

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I actually like the backline. pretty close to what I'd go for. Not sure about White but let's see.
The loss of AA and Sio is unfortunate, but the Boks are also short a few first choice blokes so that seems fair enough. Not sure about the starting front row but I really like the look of that back 5....A fair bit of mongrel there.
Beale and To'omua on the bench is pretty revealing. I think it's a sign that Cheika sees them as more suited to a bench role than a starting role. That shouldn't be too surprising given that both guys started from the bench in the 2015 WC Final. TBH I think they really are better as options from the bench.
Given the talent on offer, no real complaints with the selection. If Cheika is doing his job, this should be very competitive.

B

Bobby Sands

Love that Banks is at 15.

It’s finally happening.

Would have been very interesting if Lilo fit.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
On the back 3 selections I would have loved to have seen Pulu there. He looks to be the quickest outside back in Oz. Also has similar attributes to our other strike wingers but he actually has a rugby brain and good skills. A real opportunity missed to see how he would go at this level.

Great to see Banks at 15, I hope he steps up. I really don't like our wingers for this match. They are both easily beaten for speed by their opposite numbers and neither are in form. Admittedly I am not a hodge fan and wouldn't have him anywhere near the match day 23(jack of all master of none unfortunately) he just isn't as good as several others available in all the positions he can play. Dhp's strength is beating the 1st defenders coming in from the back and I don't think that will really transfer to the wing(except perhaps coming in from the blind) as he seems to have lost a bit of pace. I have a feeling Banks could have a bit of work to do in defense this weekend.

Very keen to see how this backrow works and if the 2019 slimmer version of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can have an impact at international level. Also interested to see how FF (Folau Fainga'a) performs after his big Super Rugby season.

I love this feeling of excitement and optimism before the first test! I hope it is still there come Sunday.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just a minor gripe. I'd really like all international teams to adopt a common format of naming their sides in the order 1-23. I mean look at that, they go 15-1, and then 16-23. Makes zero sense!

Thats because 15 is "heelagter" and 1 to 3 "voorry".

Same with the cricket score. In SA its 200/3 in Aus 3/200.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Looks pretty good for a first draft. Sio, AAA, Pocock, Lilo, Koroibete all still to come back. If we can start strong here, there's some potential.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have not seen anything this season to really understand why Dempsey would deserve to be in the match day 23 but maybe showed his true mettle in wallabies camp. We know he can play but since returning from injury yet to see his previous prowess come to the forefront. Same with To'omua who really has failed to capture the imagination. JOC (James O'Connor) might yet jump the queue ahead of To'omua.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Quite a different setup from last year. Think we'll see Hooper playing much more of a fetcher/disrupter role with Naisarani playing the key defensive role.

Nais or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as the other 1 in the 1-3-3-1? I'd probably go LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with Isi doing his work in closer in the pod. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and DHP trying to stop a counter on the edge could be a bit hard to watch. Not sure South Africa have the skills to get that happening to often but it's the stuff of nightmares against the All Blacks

If I was Sa I would be sending lots of action through the Kerevi/Foley channel to test if these defensive improvements stand up to test match pressure.

Having said all that it's a team that could be good, and needs to be tried

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have not seen anything this season to really understand why Dempsey would deserve to be in the match day 23 but maybe showed his true mettle in wallabies camp. We know he can play but since returning from injury yet to see his previous prowess come to the forefront. Same with To'omua who really has failed to capture the imagination. JOC (James O'Connor) might yet jump the queue ahead of To'omua.

Im guessing his got 2 big Bruises to start in LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and ISA, so having a bit more speed at the end of the game might help. I hope maybe next week in Brissy we give Valentini a run (although I think its 2 early for him and the world cup).