• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I still don’t really rate Ta’avao. If there’s one position we have more depth in than NZ it’s prop. I’d take any of our blokes running out in SA over him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Angus Ta’avao starting as tighthead for All Blacks this weekend. When he was the tahs he was struggling to get a regular spot on the Tahs bench. What does this says about the Tahs coaching and player development capabilities? Probably just what many speculate and think which is not much and the lack of ability to attract quality players compared to say the Brumbies to me again says something not right in Tah land. Just my postulings.

What, pray tell, is a postuling?

S

Show-n-go

Where would you play Crighton if he came? In the centres with Tepai? Move one of them into the forwards as a 6 or 8?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Angus Ta’avao starting as tighthead for All Blacks this weekend. When he was the tahs he was struggling to get a regular spot on the Tahs bench. What does this says about the Tahs coaching and player development capabilities? Probably just what many speculate and think which is not much and the lack of ability to attract quality players compared to say the Brumbies to me again says something not right in Tah land. Just my postulings.

He wasn't as good as other options?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think it say more about AB's prop depth than the Tahs

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While not necessarily backing the Tahs coaching regime (how could you) we get this every time a player goes to NZ and turns up at Super level or better. The reality is, some players actually get better over time, amazing as that might seem to some. In fact, there have even been sightings of players improving over the years here in Aus!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What, pray tell, is a postuling?
meant 'postulatings"

postulate

verb
gerund or present participle: postulating
/ˈpɒstjʊleɪt/
  1. 1.​
    suggest or assume the existence, fact, or truth of (something) as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or belief.
    "his theory postulated a rotatory movement for hurricanes"
    synonyms: put forward, suggest, advance, posit, hypothesize, take as a hypothesis, propose, assume, presuppose, suppose, presume, predicate, take for granted, theorize
    "such hypotheses have been postulated by highly reputable geologists"

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
While not necessarily backing the Tahs coaching regime (how could you) we get this every time a player goes to NZ and turns up at Super level or better. The reality is, some players actually get better over time, amazing as that might seem to some. In fact, there have even been sightings of players improving over the years here in Aus!

Yes, a seemingly overlooked concept that players improve with time and coaching, especially in the front row.
It’s not like he went from Tahs to starting all blacks prop,, it’s taken a couple of seasons since.

In saying that, I actually rate the current crop of Aussie THPs over him anyway

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes, a seemingly overlooked concept they players improve with time and coaching, especially in the front row.
It’s not like he went from Tahs to starting all blacks prop,, it’s taken a couple of seasons since.

In saying that, I actually rate the current crop of Aussie THPs over him anyway

Yep. The Waratahs have Sekope Kepu, Tom Robertson and Harry Johnson-Holmes. Robertson got his start because Ta'avao wasn't up to scratch, and he panned out well straight away. The Tahs made the right choice.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep. The Waratahs have Sekope Kepu, Tom Robertson and Harry Johnson-Holmes. Robertson got his start because Ta'avao wasn't up to scratch, and he panned out well straight away. The Tahs made the right choice.

I guess my question mark over this is Brumbies seem to have better track record of developing players vs Tahs where players generally developed or on the trajectory....I just am not convinced Tahs got the player development side down pat as well as the Brumbies which for my mind is why lot of talent heads to Canberra which lets face it is not because Canberra a great city people want to be in as it is a freezing shit hole.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

See comment about Tahs vs Brumbies....relative thing

S

Show-n-go

is not because Canberra a great city people want to be in as it is a freezing shit hole.

I think that’s exactly why they are better at developing talent than we are

Sure they probably have a better overall setup but on the other side there’s shit all to do in Canberra so players focus on footy more, majority of the team are not Canberra locals so friends and family aren’t as much of a distraction/team bonding is probably at a higher level

You’ve gotta be really dedicated to your footy and keen to knuckle down if you’re willing to move from Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne to Canberra

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Both raiders and brumbies have a track record of solid player development, two main reasons for this IMO:

1) Canberra is a boring, bureaucratic city with a small population, they need a solid development program because they don’t have the pulling power of the major cities to recruit players, or the population base to organically produce. Both teams have focussed considerable resources into talent identification and player development.

2) AIS and associated intellectual property, both teams leverage AIS facilities and staff quite regularly, I think there is significant value from this knowledge sharing between training staff, and access to facilities for the players.

CantRunWithoutEyes

Frank Row (1)
Andrew Deegan has been impressive and has shown years of improvement during his time with Connacht / Western Force. IMO he could be a great signing if he wanted to come home. Solid defender, Great vision and high goal kicking percentage. I believe he won the Roscoe Fay Trophy for most points in a season in his last year at Randwick.

Also, grumblings from the Roosters make it sound like Angus Crichton could be released to come back to Rugby Union. Roosters don't think they are getting bang for there buck with his on field performances. I'd personally love to get him back! just so long as he gets a haircut!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Also, grumblings from the Roosters make it sound like Angus Crichton could be released to come back to Rugby Union. Roosters don't think they are getting bang for there buck with his on field performances. I'd personally love to get him back! just so long as he gets a haircut!

The NRL radio shows were apparently full of this rumour over the weekend, the story goes Crichton hasn't been travelling as well as hoped is on big money and the Rooster have offered big money to Shannon Frizell