• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
what takes priority in your household?

Premier rugby or GPS schoolboy footy?

Lot of the same posters in here lurk in the GPS rugby thread on GAGR. Seems like it’s more of a community over there in other thread.

I’m enjoying having GPS schoolboy rugby in 3rd term because it doesn’t really conflict with the regular season of QPR. but given a choice to spend your Saturday afternoons. Would you go down to your club or alma-matar school grounds?

I enjoy club rugby the most, curious about everybody else.

Btw - how good is streaming technology!

GPS at the moment that will move into Premiers. Best of both worlds with the streaming avilable.

Reactions: vac

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
what takes priority in your household?

Premier rugby or GPS schoolboy footy?

Lot of the same posters in here lurk in the GPS rugby thread on GAGR. Seems like it’s more of a community over there in other thread.

I’m enjoying having GPS schoolboy rugby in 3rd term because it doesn’t really conflict with the regular season of QPR. but given a choice to spend your Saturday afternoons. Would you go down to your club or alma-matar school grounds?

I enjoy club rugby the most, curious about everybody else.

Btw - how good is streaming technology!

Both.... being of multiple generations of one school, there is always a connection to schoolboys rugby. It's exciting (being only 8 grand finals), and good to catch-up with people from multiple generations. Only thing missing is a sherbet or two (god forbid if they let me drink at schoolboys rugby again).

Also like club rugby as you have the fast games, imagination of the Colts teams through to the hard grind and skills of the higher grades; and you can have a few sherbets!!

The community in the schoolboys is a little more inexperienced (new fathers to rugby) and hence the banter is easier. The pro's are on this page.....and the new father of rugby have a few years experience under their belts.

I would watch a rugby match every weekend (but live 160 km south of Brisvegas) so not always able to. Thank god for streaming....so now it doesn't matter were you are you can watch both. I may even come up tomorrow and sit at TSS watching NC beat them live and have a streaming of Brothers beating GPS...oh the joy!

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Don't worry SouthernX look at the figures on club rugby. We have twice the responses and views compared to the Shute Shield. So the message is being looked at and the interest in QPR "Premier" rugby has grown markedly over the last 5 years. When QLD club rugby is strong, QLd is strong, when Qld is strong, Australian rugby is strong.

Probably shows that Australian Rugby is going to make a comeback, probably not this World Cup, but I'd have a Banana to a bottle of Rum we will be in the 2023 Final and 2 Bananas to a Fine Malt Whiskey that we win it! Jets? Odds Please?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The community in the schoolboys is a little more inexperienced (new fathers to rugby)!

Haha this bits funny sage because when ever I read a post in the GPS schoolboy rugby thread I hear the voice of a 15 yr old schoolboy talking himself up while he posts under a pseudonym.

The school rivalries are great. I would put the GT vs NC rivalry ahead of QPR biggest grudge match in filth v students.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Haha this bits funny sage because when ever I read a post in the GPS schoolboy rugby thread I hear the voice of a 15 yr old schoolboy talking himself up while he posts under a pseudonym.

The school rivalries are great. I would put the GT vs NC rivalry ahead of QPR biggest grudge match in filth v students.

No the filth UQ rivalry is greater, because when the NC and GT guys get to Brothers, they have the students to beat. There is little rivalry between GT and NC, now we even have a lunch together before the match; every year! The rivalry between GT and NC is almost dead; that left in the 80's with probably the greatest schoolboy team for quite a period (Terrace 1978-82). Before then and since then only the amateurs and those with more faith than I believe the GT will consistently beat Nudgee. Even when GT have a lead with 5 to go, they lose; even when they have the line wide open and 2 points behind, they lose, even when Nudgee miss the kick, they lose. Don't get me wrong they are great games, and I feel for the effort those young men put in, but they just find ways to lose that even Spielberg couldn't have written!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Have to disagree sageToo.

When the schoolboys leave they usually go to different clubs. NC usually go to brothers but UQ draws from all the schools.

Only have to look at the attendance of those 2 matches we are comparing and know which one is held in higher regard

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Have to disagree sageToo.

When the schoolboys leave they usually go to different clubs. NC usually go to brothers but UQ draws from all the schools.

Only have to look at the attendance of those 2 matches we are comparing and know which one is held in higher regard

Yeah I agree about UQ, and things are different from my time and the loyalty's to clubs is more varied since the professionalism came to the fore, however Brothers usually draws NC, GT and others schools (some from Columban's in the old days and a few from the Marists etc).

Crickey's in my day you had to go to the University (or been an old boy) in order to play for UQ. Imagine if that rule still applied!!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Great news I’ve just read on the QPR Facebook via couriermail article talking about brothers 70th season at Crosby road but there seems to be a new development in the pipeline out there.

I’ve always envisioned units being built on top of a nice new brothers clubhouse... where for a small investment into a Albion off the plan unit you can watch the finest ranga talent run around on brothers rugby from your very own unit balcony

Always thought GPS would be the next clubhouse to get renovated.

J

JeepsTragic

Re Hegarty off for surgery - seems that is the modus operandi for the Reds is get them into surgery ASAP to maximise recovery time before Reds season/pre-season which is fair enough though.

Interesting thing is that whilst he is contracted to the Reds the club (in this case GPS) probably pays his registration fees (unless the player pays but you will find most clubs pay the registration fees regardless of whether they actually run out for the club in the season).

QRU have just posted a note to Instagram saying that Hegarty will be playing for GPS tomorrow for the first time since 2013.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
No the filth UQ rivalry is greater, because when the NC and GT guys get to Brothers, they have the students to beat. There is little rivalry between GT and NC, now we even have a lunch together before the match; every year! The rivalry between GT and NC is almost dead; that left in the 80's with probably the greatest schoolboy team for quite a period (Terrace 1978-82). Before then and since then only the amateurs and those with more faith than I believe the GT will consistently beat Nudgee. Even when GT have a lead with 5 to go, they lose; even when they have the line wide open and 2 points behind, they lose, even when Nudgee miss the kick, they lose. Don't get me wrong they are great games, and I feel for the effort those young men put in, but they just find ways to lose that even Spielberg couldn't have written!

When I first moved to Brisbane from the deep north I shared a house with an old boy from Churchie. I was new not only to Brisbane but to this GPS school thing and GPS school rugby. My housemate was quite a bit older than me. One Saturday morning I asked him what he had planned for the day. He replied,"I'm going to watch Terrace vs Nudgee". I asked why, as a Churchie old boy would he go to that match and not watch Churchie. He told me, "there is nothing better in this world than seeing the Catholics belt the shit out of each other. It's even better if the result is a draw and no-one wins"

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I must be a bit of an outlier here, state school educated from a league following family. Never been to nor seen a GPS match.
Just love watching and supporting the club I played juniors for, which incidentally helped convert my father to the bright side.
Queensland Reds and the Wallabies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brothers v GPS, Crosby Park, 5:00pm | Match of the Round

Brothers: Tom Moloney (c), Matthew Faessler, Garrath Ryan, Bradford Kapa, Ryan Smith, Criff Tupou, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Reuben Wall, Rohan Saifoloi, Sam Hyne, Patrick James, Byron Ralston, George Partridge, Lawson Creighton

Coach: Rod Seib

GPS: Jethro Felemi, Maile Ngauamo, Ruan Smith, Tuaina Tualima, Dan Gorman, Tom Kibble, Matt Gicquel, Michael Richards, Nigel Genia, Bryce Hegarty, Jono Kent, Bernard Nickel, Campbell Magnay, Josh Collins, Pat Nicholson

Coach: Elwee Prinsloo

Souths v Wests, Chipsy Wood Oval, 3:20PM

Souths: Franko Abdalla, Cameron Mapusua, Jake Simeon, Declan Dinnen, Callum MacDonald, Sean Farrell, Bradley Kelegai, Harley Fox, Scott Malolua, Jake Strachan, Abele Atunaisa, Teti Tela, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Emori Waqavulagi, Jason Hofmeyr

Coach: Elia Tuqiri

Wests: Misioka Timoteo, Bronson Fotuali’I, Ausetalia Vaiomanu, Rob Puli’uvea, Will Dearden, Jerry Lynch (c), Connor Anderson, Harry Higgins, Liam Dillon, Carter Gordon, Callum Hicks, Isaac Henry, Hunter Paisami, Fred Keil, Filipo Daugunu

Coach: Pat Byron

Norths v Bond University, Hugh Courtney Oval, 3:20PM

Norths: Tonga Ma’afu, Cody Blackhurst, Dane Zander, Michael Jones, Harrison Fox, Saula Vuaca, Michael Leary, Jordan Tuapou, Liam Prendergast, Nick Chapman, Kegan Tuhega, Matthew Sila, Conor Chittenden, Matthew Weir, Jordan Luke

Coach: Luke Oxford

Bond University: Samuel Dobb, Nick Turner, Will Slipper, Angus Blyth, Matt Dalton, Dylan Rowe, Conor Pritchard, Luke Papworth, Harry Nucifora (c), Mitch Third, Jordan Hughes, Hamish Stewart, Dan Boardman, Ryan Menzies, Jack Giles

Coach: Grant Anderson

Sunnybank v Easts, Oldmac Oval, 3:20PM

Sunnybank: Lloyd Gorman, Daniel Anae, Elijah Kuilamu, Fala Tuala, Zac Shepperd, Christian Malaulau, Joel Brown, Dilon Wihongi, Neal McNamara, Hayden Sargeant, Will Feeney, Tom Lucas (c), Larry Hermens, Liam McNamara, Isaac Lucas

Coach: Evan Willis

Easts: Braden Schiller, Carter Ozanne, Rhys van Nek, Jale Vakaloloma, Fred Fewtrell, Ben Mowen, Tom Milosevic, Seru Uru, Eli Pilz, Lachie Kirk, Riley Cooper, Tevita Ahosivi, Landon Hayes, Max Baker, Dylan Taikato-Simpson

Coach: Moses Rauluni

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I must be a bit of an outlier here, state school educated from a league following family. Never been to nor seen a GPS match.
Just love watching and supporting the club I played juniors for, which incidentally helped convert my father to the bright side.
Queensland Reds and the Wallabies.
You really need to get to a Nudgee game at Ross Oval. It will blow your socks off. In 2019, suggesting when Nudgee play Terrace (great rivalry). Unfortunately the big game is against The Southport School this weekend but it is at the Goldie.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Gotta say I think this is the strongest ever weekend of Representative calibre players turning out for QPR in a long long time (amazing achievement when you consider UQ is on the bye)

The Elite of Elite QLD Rugby is over in South Africa, other then that I'd say about 70-80% of playing group feels like they are turning out in clubland this weekend sprinkle Mowen and Magnay into the mix!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You really need to get to a Nudgee game at Ross Oval. It will blow your socks off. In 2019, suggesting when Nudgee play Terrace (great rivalry). Unfortunately the big game is against The Southport School this weekend but it is at the Goldie.

I hate to say it but do yourself a favour this weekend and get to the Filth. Woods and McRight are the truth when it come to rugby. I had the advantage of watching Woods as a kid, he is sooo good. I think Mc Right is better, this scares me. Might be the last year to see them at this level, I'll be at Ballymore to watch them play finals, purely for the historic value. Also I think Seiby is a quality coach, should be Super level in a few years.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
GPS Schoolboy rugby are the best games all year, no where better than Ross Oval to watch. It’s like visiting an old girlfriend, makes you fall in love with the game all over again.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I hate to say it but do yourself a favour this weekend and get to the Filth. Woods and McRight are the truth when it come to rugby. I had the advantage of watching Woods as a kid, he is sooo good. I think Mc Right is better, this scares me. Might be the last year to see them at this level, I'll be at Ballymore to watch them play finals, purely for the historic value. Also I think Seiby is a quality coach, should be Super level in a few years.
Will not be missing the finals. MeReight, Wilson and Woods are all quality. The Reds future looking promising.

Good to see so many of the Reds turning up today.

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
Will not be missing the finals. MeReight, Wilson and Woods are all quality. The Reds future looking promising.

Good to see so many of the Reds turning up today.
I hate to agree with you about heading out to Crosby but I’ll be there too & looking forward to a quality game. Wood is out. I saw him on crutches after the game against Uni so assume it must be a decent injury.

Ned Stark

Stan Wickham (3)
Having a crack at some NRC Teams. Let me know your thoughts. Haven't included anyone who has been named in the Wallabies apart from JOC (James O'Connor)

Brisbane City
Prop
JP Smith
Ruan Smith
Feao Fotuaika
Josh Nasser
Tom Moloney
Misioka Timoteo
Hooker
Brendan Paenga-Amosa
Sean Farrell
Maile Ngauamo
Lock
Dan Gorman
Jale Vakaloloma
Jerry Lynch
Tuaina Tualima
BackRow
Adam Korczyk
Fraser McReight
Pat Morrey
Sam Wallis
Dillon Wihongi
Connor Anderson
Halfback
Moses Sorovi
Liam Dillon
Eli Pilz
Fly-Half
Bryce Hegarty
Carter Gordon
James Dalgleish
Centre
Paddy James
Hunter Paisami
Ralph Evalu
James O’Connor
Wing
Jordan Luke
Emori Waqavulagi
Henry Speight
Fullback
Isaac Lucas
Lawson Creighton

Queensland Country
Prop
Harry Hoopert
Gavin Luka
Fred Burke
Rhys Van Nek
Dave Feao
Hooker
Alex Mafi
Efi Ma’afu
Matt Faessler
Lock
Angus Blyth
Harry Hockings
Michael Wood
Matt Dalton
BackRow
Angus Scott-Young
Harry Wilson
Tom Kibble
Seru Uru
Connor Pritchard
Michael Richards
Harley Fox
Halfback
Tate McDermott
Scott Malolua
Harry Nucifora
Fly-Half
Hamish Stewart
Rohan Saifoloi
Centre

Chris Feauai-Sautia
Teti Tela
Connor Chittenden
Dan Boardman
Wing
Filipo Daugunu
Jock Campbell
Veresa Mataitini
Fullback

Liam McNamara
Joey Fittock

Any notable Omissions or people forgotten?
That’s a pretty good crack at squads!

IMO Connor Andersen has been the best forward in the comp this season, even above Jerry in the same Backrow.

Rumour is that JP is out. I’d love to see Dane Zander from Norths in there to replace him.My bolter for NRC is Souths Colt Callum McDonald. I see he’s starting for 1st Grade today. He’s big, athletic & aggressive. Another Rodda in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.