• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
great to see - we need another big crowd drawing local derby to continue the resurgence of the Shute Shield.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
great to see - we need another big crowd drawing local derby to continue the resurgence of the Shute Shield.

To achieve that the Sydney clubs need to find the money to properly market the games first to the current base not just directly connected to the clubs but subbies and village clubs as well. And then to more casual fans who are looking for genuine community events to get behind and turn out.

And then look to transform the competition to become a NSW competition as opposed to just a Sydney based one. This was tried with the likes of the Illawarra and Hunter in the Toohey's New Cup but I actually think it would be more successful by looking to identify specific clubs from those regions to join as a means of integrating more thoroughly and meaning they travel as full schedule clubs (Colts - 1sts).

I honestly think that the minimum goal for the competition as a whole is for every game not including the BotB to average 5k through the gates. Because I agree that the overall quality of the offerings on the pitch are well worth the effort. We just need to get more people made aware of that fact and out to the games.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good crowd at the East v Randwick as well.
Each game was a nail biter and a lot of young talent on show. Getting more exciting than the professionals.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
The quality of the rugby, even in the lower grades, the tribalism and the Village atmosphere of such Derby’s make the Shute Shield a great product . tv coverage adds another important dimension .. why RA doesn’t get behind it is not so much of a mystery as it is a bloody shame.

For all the flak RA have been copping for over four years now (The Pulver/Cheika/Castle dynasty), you'd think they look at strategies to re-engage/reignite support across the major rugby states.
How hard would it be to slip a couple of hundred thou' to each major competition in the eastern states and WA to aid in match day atmosphere?
How rocket science is it to seek major sponsorship from audio-visual entities which might issue camera and microphone equipment to every Grade tier comp in order to have them stream every 1st Grade match online via each clubs portals or the State Assn's portal? Every club has people who can run basic commentary and has basic AV skills.
Every club would wear that sponsor logo on their shoulders or backside.
RA have abandoned Grade rugby across the nation arrogantly and intentionally for too long. The natives have little faith in the decision-makers from entry-level through to the top national tier/s.
Time to stop that. Without lower grades there is no national team.
"Piss it up against the wall" indeed.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You missed the whole “pissing it up against the wall” saga?

They’ve actually done the opposite of your suggestion, and removed subsidies and introduced levies.......

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah, the ongoing ignorance and utter arrogance.
I'll not pay to watch the Wallabies. My annual membership for my club, with a guest, equates to just my one WB ticket for one WB match.
F..k the national side that consistently underperforms, underdelivers, strips my club of its players and returns nothing to the game from which it is derived.
Castle is an apt surname. We her minions are suitably pissed.
Time for RA to make some changes.
And perhaps for SRU to grow some balls (I know there's only two in that office) and rally the troops.
Brett Papworth for President!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If you want something for nothing, that is what you will get. Nothing. We are a niche sport, always have been in my lifetime, except for a few brief flashes of relative prosperity. Our opposition has been bolstered for many years by poker machine palaces, and huge media rights deals (in the case of the ARL/NFL) and huge community support and media rights of course in the case of the VFL/AFL.

If a club like Sydney University needs financial contributions from sources other than its own supporters then rugby deserves to die in Australia, and probably will - as an elite sport anyway. SU should really be looking for ways to contribute to the lessor endowed areas of the game in Sydney, you guys are much more than capable of standing on your own two feet.

I am very happy to support my club, and always have been. The "pissing it up against the wall" comment was clumsy, but I am buggered if I can imagine rugby surviving unless the spirit of amateurism - love of the game - thrives. Love it or lose it.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
the spirit of amateurism - love of the game - thrives. Love it or lose it.

An excellent point.
The vast majority of rugby people in Australia are in that amateur category. I would hazard a guess to say that only 2% of rugby people get paid to play/coach/administer/watch/support the game.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
If you want something for nothing, that is what you will get. Nothing. We are a niche sport, always have been in my lifetime, except for a few brief flashes of relative prosperity. Our opposition has been bolstered for many years by poker machine palaces, and huge media rights deals (in the case of the ARL/NFL) and huge community support and media rights of course in the case of the VFL/AFL.

If a club like Sydney University needs financial contributions from sources other than its own supporters then rugby deserves to die in Australia, and probably will - as an elite sport anyway. SU should really be looking for ways to contribute to the lessor endowed areas of the game in Sydney, you guys are much more than capable of standing on your own two feet.

I am very happy to support my club, and always have been. The "pissing it up against the wall" comment was clumsy, but I am buggered if I can imagine rugby surviving unless the spirit of amateurism - love of the game - thrives. Love it or lose it.

I don't want the Shute Shield or any other club competition to rule the world. Nor am I suggesting or implying that any club or other does or does not have the means to be self-supportive. It will be terribly interesting to see how the EDRUFC use the cash from North Ryde RSL...
What I seek is an end to the historic neglect and disregard of the amateur competitions by the professional bodies.
Even the NRC is run by volunteers ffs.
No club can be self-supporting when the majority of spectators at home games are players, staff, vols and parents. And there are a few clubs where the crowd is just that.
The pro game relies on the club game and should properly support it.
Not looking for handouts. The modern world of business is wholly dependent on marketing and promotional relationships and the pro game is full of well educated marketing and promotional professionals who could occasionally be tasked with developing relationships for lower tiers in conjunction with their focused top tiers.
QantasLink could surely be the airline sponsor for NRC. Just roll it into the annual agreement with Qantas.
The WBs and Tahs surely have bus/coachline sponsors. Roll in some Shute and Subbies discussions in the next negotiations.
Blinkers off is all I'm saying.
Demolish the silos.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
My thinking would be try and make the game more visible. Take the channel 7 thing a step further. Try and get a game on at a viewable time. Try Monday night football, not up against any other code.

Too long this game has not been promoted because of its amateur status and the professional game hidden behind a pay wall.

If average Joe, didn't go to a private school he is not likely to understand the first thing about this game. It's never been on FTA in any meaningful way.

B

Bobby Sands

I went to Easts v Randwick, and as QLD’er was very impressed by the ground an atmosphere.

The standard of rugby was pretty poor for most of the day, but Easts really turned it on at the end.

I watched Mack closely as he is a Churchie lad and for the most part I thought he was pretty average. Throwing bypasses incredibly flat and mostly not giving his backs the chance to chance the angle or use footwork.

However in the last twenty he blew the game open an looked a class above. He jinked through & made a clean break before finding support for the match winner & then soon after our in a perfect cross field kick for the absolute sealer.

No doubt he broke the game open which is great to see for rugby supporters and especially Tahs supporters. Hope he kicks on.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
My thinking would be try and make the game more visible. Take the channel 7 thing a step further. Try and get a game on at a viewable time. Try Monday night football, not up against any other code.

Nothing will change in this regard until Shute Shield is willing to address it's structure. You need to remember it is identical to Suburban Rugby. The difference is Subbies has no pretensions of catering to the best players.

If you want to be treated as professionals then you have to look professional. If you maintain whole lot of social teams in the same competition as near-Sup Rugby quality players then people outside your devotees (and those are the ones that need convincing) will not take you seriously.

I love Shute Shield as it is. But if you want to change the way you are seen, then you have to be willing to change.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think it is a good idea, frankly. It is a great stadium, will look good on television, and has all the amenities that anybody would want.

And it is close to Sydney's demographic centre. All we have to do now is to fill it!!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Of course it will fill. All we hear about is how the Shute Shield is the best thing in Australian Rugby at the moment and that they are pulling crowds bigger than Super Rugby matches.

Why wouldn't they fill it?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I normally try and see as much of 3’s as I can, so I checked match schedules for tomorrow and see Parra are only fielding 2 grade sides tomorrow.
Had a quick look and saw 4’s lasted 12 odd rounds, and 3’s couldn’t field a side for the first time this week.
#sad

On a positive note,3 colts side are playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.