• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
And given Jones a start with Valentini off the bench. We know what LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) gives. Wasn't it said that the first two games were going to be used for experimentation?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty big opportunity for Latu off the bench. With Uelese's unfortunate concussion last week and TPN back in the fold, a strong performance off the bench could just about sneak him into the RWC squad.

He'll be yellow carded for sure. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surprised Slipper has made it back this week after his head knock last week.Hope he is really good to go.

What's the news on Allan Ala'alatoa's injury? After being the iron man of Super Rugby all year, apparently one or two training sessions with Cheika is enough to put him out for a period. I am starting to wonder if we will see him again this year or if he has done a Poey.

I probably would have preferred to see Jones start this match (if not Valetini) for comparison with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

I am sorry to see Nic White back on the bench. He had one of the stronger games against the Saffas and the more time he gets with the team the better. It would have been an ideal opportunity to see the new combination of White/Lealiifano in operation too. We all know what Will Genia brings and unfortunately it's not anywhere near his best in recent times.

Reese Hodge must be Cheika's new white haired boy. His form doesn't warrant his inclusion at the expense of Tom Banks who again was a strong performer against the Saffas.

All in all, the forwards pack is starting to look like it's locked in. Still some confusing and worrying selection in the backs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Leisure Suit Larry is picked on size.

Probably needs a big game this week to show for it.

Yeah, there's a possibility we won't be able to carry both LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Naisarani in the starting team, and may need someone with a bigger workrate at 6 in the form of Jones, or even potentially Valetini..........

But in saying that, doesn't take into account how they're being coached to play.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty big for the Wallabies if he gets the breakdown right. Would add so much if we had him as an on-baller.

The real issue to me UTG is that we are continually trying to find an on-baller in just about any position other than the one that conventional wisdom would say is a necessary part of the skillset, ie No 7. The best on-baller by far in this squad is Liam Wright. His inclusion at No 7 would allow all other forwards to just concentrate on their own responsibilities.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pretty big for the Wallabies if he gets the breakdown right. Would add so much if we had him as an on-baller.
That’s the biggest problem I see. The Pumas will be even more clinical at the breakdown than the Boks. Could get blown away there.

Reactions: dru

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That’s the biggest problem I see. The Pumas will be even more clinical at the breakdown than the Boks. Could get blown away there.

Well, they are missing their biggest menace in that department, Creevy, who, strangely is also not a 7. Of course, they still have others.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's the whole packs responsibility to secure possession at the breakdown when attacking and i think this was a particularly poor area against SA. Swapping Wright for Hooper won't fix this.

Defensively, we didn't attack the ball at all and we seemed to stand off somewhat. I believe this was probably a tactic? Putting Wright in might fix this, but only if the tactic changes to match.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The real issue to me UTG is that we are continually trying to find an on-baller in just about any position other than the one that conventional wisdom would say is a necessary part of the skillset, ie No 7. The best on-baller by far in this squad is Liam Wright. His inclusion at No 7 would allow all other forwards to just concentrate on their own responsibilities.
Most leading hookers play on the ball, though. I’m not sure it would have mattered too much who was on the field last week when we were conceding so many post-contact metres.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Most leading hookers play on the ball, though. I’m not sure it would have mattered too much who was on the field last week when we were conceding so many post-contact metres.
Yeah Creevy and Marx come to mind. Neither ever support their weight either. Poor old Latu has a reputation (or, ore accurately, Marx and Creevy don't have a reputation that matches their game).

B

Bobby Sands

I don't think you are going to see much difference in outcome

I know you don’t.

But that’s the beauty of changing the inputs isn’t it?

Now we can actually see what it looks like & how it changes the circuit (affects other parts of the system/team).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Foley is a lock. CL has had a very good season but he is relatively inexperienced at test level. We need both.