• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley is a lock. CL has had a very good season but he is relatively inexperienced at test level. We need both.

At flyhalf he certainly is......... otherwise this will be his 20th test cap, having not played a test in a while.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I can’t wait to hear CLL getting praise for running the right direction.

Can't wait for people to talk down his involvements if he goes well. Or is he on a hiding to nothing as his playing against Argie's in Brisbane. FFS give it a rest you and KOB keep banging on about Foley, neither makes a difference.

The best thing that's happened for this team is the following 1 Sio and 17 Slipper.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, there's a possibility we won't be able to carry both LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Naisarani in the starting team, and may need someone with a bigger workrate at 6 in the form of Jones, or even potentially Valetini....
I like Valetini - he could be better than Naisarani, but probably not this year. It's moreso Isi that Rob would be competing with, IMO.

There'll be a limit to how many crocked/doubtful backrowers can be taken to a RWC. I think it's somewhere around 1. Let's call it the Cheika-Palu number … and Pocock would be in that quota position at the moment.

But the six jersey is up for grabs. Like you say, it might be Jones. Or even Dempsey.

But in saying that, doesn't take into account how they're being coached to play.
Tru that

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know you don’t.

But that’s the beauty of changing the inputs isn’t it?

Now we can actually see what it looks like & how it changes the circuit (affects other parts of the system/team).

True, but the ability of a 10 to do well, is down to the platform, they all look like geniuses off quick front foot ball

Also it is never a fair, true comparison unless the other inputs are equal, so will Tupou or Latu provide the 10 minutes this week?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I like Valetini - he could be better than Naisarani, but probably not this year. It's moreso Isi that Rob would be competing with, IMO.

There'll be a limit to how many crocked/doubtful backrowers can be taken to a RWC. I think it's somewhere around 1. Let's call it the Cheika-Palu number … and Pocock would be in that quota position at the moment.

But the six jersey is up for grabs. Like you say, it might be Jones. Or even Dempsey.

Tru that
McCafferey would make a lovely 6 with Isi at 8 for a different look, but sadly not selected, Samu might as well, but Jones should get a crack. I feel Valentini is probably just short on game time in a position we have options. If he had of played all super rugby we could well have seen him in the jersey.

I wouldn't mind Jones at 6 or Dempsey, I see them as bigger engines then LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and if you have Isi there at 8, and Hooper at 7, I think you need the workrate of Jones/Dempsey.

Im really missing Pocock at the moment, the one player who makes the most breakdown difference being injured sucks,

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Personally my pick for 6 is Samu when he's back, you get a bigger body with either LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Jones, but lose mobility and explosiveness. I think either Jones or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) make a great lock/six reserve. Still, with luck Jones plays the house down and puts the issue to bed.
I don't really think Foley is a great 10 at test level, although I don't think he's as bad as the haters on here. I really hope CLL does well and solves our issue of not having a class 10, but my inclination is to think he is going to be similar to Foley, ie adequate but no more.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2012 Lilo with that explosive change of direction would've been a treat............

I'm not expecting any miracles, but hope he plays well enough that we have something positive to discuss.

Despite the vitriol, Foley has been our best flyhalf option in recent years........... my main gripe has been his clearance kicking and goal kicking accuracy, neither of which we should expect any major improvement in Lilo.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
2012 Lilo with that explosive change of direction would've been a treat....

I'm not expecting any miracles, but hope he plays well enough that we have something positive to discuss.

Despite the vitriol, Foley has been our best flyhalf option in recent years..... my main gripe has been his clearance kicking and goal kicking accuracy, neither of which we should expect any major improvement in Lilo.
Ironically, not an issue last match as we had Banks, Hodge in the team, White with some great clearing with the box kick.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
The gainline was lost in the first test.
Is the gameplan going to be modified to counter the problem?
I would have Jones at 6 with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on the bench.
Jones for workrate and pace.
This is a precursor to Bledisloe 1 and we need more pace.
Latu is a risk.
Arnold and Rodda and Isa need to carry hard.

Also,
14. MK is good
But should swap Hodge with Banks.
Gameplan needs to bring TK into the game more.

Assuming a good rush defense and solid forward platform from the Argies.
Plus good kicking and lots of pace.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Like most my major gripe is the selection of Hodge over Banks and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6.

The Banks one I just do not get. He is faster, more skillful, debatably as good a kick(balance between distance and accuracy) legitimate x factor player as well as a great rugby brain. Slotted into 1st receiver all season at the brumbies and did a great job of it, great hands and catch pass. Hodge has the distance on his boot but the wind up is soo slow that it is never used as an exit and we rarely see it in a game. He may have better tackle stats but that doesn't mean squat if you can't lay a hand on the opposition winger. Banks is a good defender the problem is where he defends is typically a much harder tackle to make. I would argue that having him and Koro as the two wingers coming across in defense makes me feel safer than hodge because their pace allows them to cover more ground/run down players.

Also seems odd that they would drop him when they select CLL given they have played together all year and created plenty with that combo.

I like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but often he doesn't seem to be agile enough to move his big body into the right position for clean outs. Maybe he needs to hold his depth an extra half meter or so. He misses a lot of his initial hits in the clean. I'm not sure if this is because of where he plays now as a 6 and if it would be any better playing slightly differently as a lock or not. I would have liked to see him at 2nd row this game and any one of Jones, Valetini or Dempsey(McCaf no chance unfortunately)

Keen to see how JOC (James O'Connor) goes. Excited about the prospect of him as a center option. I hope the coaches have a better plan for tevita this week. He was completely wasted against the Boks.

I am quite worried about the Argies. If we don't put on a good show here then it is 2 games against the darkness.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
2012 Lilo with that explosive change of direction would've been a treat....

Despite the vitriol, Foley has been our best flyhalf option in recent years..... my main gripe has been his clearance kicking and goal kicking accuracy, neither of which we should expect any major improvement in Lilo.
I’m not sure it’s all still in 2012, I thought Lilo took it to the line better than any other flyhalf in Aus this season. Good option with the defence focussed on Kerevi at 12 as well. I’d like to see him off his right foot after he’s made a few passes to Kerevi and the defence aren’t really considering him an option.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The real issue to me UTG is that we are continually trying to find an on-baller in just about any position other than the one that conventional wisdom would say is a necessary part of the skillset, ie No 7. The best on-baller by far in this squad is Liam Wright. His inclusion at No 7 would allow all other forwards to just concentrate on their own responsibilities.

giphy.gif