• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He'll still get blamed if we lose.

giphy.gif

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Surprised Slipper has made it back this week after his head knock last week.Hope he is really good to go.

What's the news on Allan Ala'alatoa's injury? After being the iron man of Super Rugby all year, apparently one or two training sessions with Cheika is enough to put him out for a period. I am starting to wonder if we will see him again this year or if he has done a Poey.

I probably would have preferred to see Jones start this match (if not Valetini) for comparison with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

I am sorry to see Nic White back on the bench. He had one of the stronger games against the Saffas and the more time he gets with the team the better. It would have been an ideal opportunity to see the new combination of White/Lealiifano in operation too. We all know what Will Genia brings and unfortunately it's not anywhere near his best in recent times.

Reese Hodge must be Cheika's new white haired boy. His form doesn't warrant his inclusion at the expense of Tom Banks who again was a strong performer against the Saffas.

All in all, the forwards pack is starting to look like it's locked in. Still some confusing and worrying selection in the backs.

Weren't you one of the loudest calling for a selection panel? But now that we have one everything is still Cheika's doing. Someone might correct me, but it's my understanding that if there is disagreement about a selection Johnson has the casting vote? I'd actually say that the re-selection of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) smells more of Johnson than it does of Cheika, like you I would have liked to have seen someone else given the start.

I don't have any issues with the content of this post and agree with most of it, except for the snipe about AAA above. I don't think an abductor injury to a front rower who has had a pretty tough year would be all that out of the ordinary. They were expecting him to be right this weekend but being a WC year I'd say they want to make sure our #1 THP is 100%.

I also didn't have any issues with the content of the Hooper/Wright post, in many ways you are right there. The point was that if you are going to have a whinge every time Hooper gets selected it's going to be a long year for you..and us!

In the modern game the back row is all about balance. Hooper is MVP almost every time he steps out, it doesn't matter that he isn't fulfilling all the roles of a traditional #7, he is doing a lot of the work a 6 or 8 would normally do, the challenge for the selectors is to find a player who fills that void, in this case a fetcher/pilferer. I can understand the logic in playing Hooper and Pocock together, they are/were our 2 best players and complemented each other very well, the problem is they were both short and with the lack of a proper ball running 8 or 6 that project always had a finite timeline.

Re the Banks/Hodge one, we are all a bit confused about that. However, it's no secret that the undecided starting spots are 6 (we thought), 9, 10, 14 and 15. So perhaps it's just a bit of further experimentation. Maybe Banks has already booked his spot so they're trying to work out the final outside back squad spots. Point is, I don't think we need to read too much into some of the selections at this stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sio had the adductor injury. Ala'alatoa has some sort of foot injury. Suggesting that either are due to Cheika seems like a stretch.

People would probably be surprised that Hooper won more turnovers/forced penalties in Super Rugby this year than Wright.

Clearly Hooper is nowhere near as good in this regard as Pocock or other best in class pilferers but he is fine. We have pretty clearly played with a tactic for the last couple of years that no one really contests the breakdown unless there is a sign we can win it (dominant tackle, isolated player etc.) either with a counter-ruck or pilfer attempt.

Our problem against the Springboks is you would struggle to find a dominant tackle made by us all game. Where were those opportunities to attack the breakdown?

The same people who are lamenting that our forwards got bullied by the Springboks are then querying why we didn't have any breakdown presence but somehow failing to connect the two.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
According to Fox sports stats Wright had 11 FRMP (the highest in super rugby) to Hooper's 2.

I hadn't seen that one. That is impressive for Wright. Hooper had one more direct pilfer and topped the "tackle turnover" stat that Alloutrugby produces with 10.

Based on that Fox Sports one Wright would be ahead overall.

My position would still be that Wright has been heavily tasked to attack the breakdown all season. He had an impressive year, no doubt.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to Fox sports stats Wright had 11 FRMP (the highest in super rugby) to Hooper's 2.

SANZAAR stats have Hooper as the competition leader for 'tackles - turnover' with 10, and 7th for turnovers won with 12.

Wright is 5th for turnovers won with 13.

Hooper was also the standout leader for tackles completed.............

But overall there's nothing separating them for turnovers, but Hooper is the more dominant defender.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's the whole packs responsibility to secure possession at the breakdown when attacking and i think this was a particularly poor area against SA. Swapping Wright for Hooper won't fix this.

Defensively, we didn't attack the ball at all and we seemed to stand off somewhat. I believe this was probably a tactic? Putting Wright in might fix this, but only if the tactic changes to match.
I don’t think he is necessarily the answer. If Poey was at 6..........

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm kinda of excited to see how the wallabies attack functions with Lilo at 10. The guy put in a really mature Super Rugby campaign. Mostly good decision making and has shown an ability to create tries. I'd say the same of Foley, but I think Lilo has been in better form than Foley this year.

I can only presume JOC (James O'Connor) is the back-up 10?

I'm fine with the team, although I personally would have started Tupou in place of Kepu.

I'm not reading too much into the dropping of Banks. Probably just a bit of rotation and I'm not sure he offers much off the bench, compared to the versatility of JOC (James O'Connor).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, be interesting to see how Lilo goes at 10, I tend to think he serviceable without being a star.
I will say looking forward to both tests on Saturday with the line ups, love seeing new combos etc!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
or Beale

To'omua, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) all have hairs all over it if Lilo goes down in the first 5. It's happened before, just sayin'!

I'm wrapped for Lilo though, hope he kills it.

Is the wrapping to try and protect him from injury?

Rapt :D

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It seems fairly obvious to me that JOC (James O'Connor) will replace Marika Koroibete on the wing early in the second half.
MK has been away on parent leave, & did not play last weekend, so probably is not at the peak of match fitness.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
or Beale

To'omua, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) all have hairs all over it if Lilo goes down in the first 5. It's happened before, just sayin'!

I'm wrapped for Lilo though, hope he kills it.

Is JOC (James O'Connor) the backup winger?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I hadn't seen that one. That is impressive for Wright. Hooper had one more direct pilfer and topped the "tackle turnover" stat that Alloutrugby produces with 10.

Based on that Fox Sports one Wright would be ahead overall.

My position would still be that Wright has been heavily tasked to attack the breakdown all season. He had an impressive year, no doubt.

And that is precisely what I would want to see from my test No 7 BH, but it goes without saying that Hooper must be playing the style of game Cheika wants. My criticism is not of Hooper per se, but of Cheika and his at times unfathomable game strategies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And that is precisely what I would want to see from my test No 7 BH, but it goes without saying that Hooper must be playing the style of game Cheika wants. My criticism is not of Hooper per se, but of Cheika and his at times unfathomable game strategies.
BH i have been pretty skeptical of the Cheika bashers i will admit. But the last game was pretty stark. He talked a lot of change and we saw very little in terms of tactics. His post game comments in particular grate.

B

Bobby Sands

True, but the ability of a 10 to do well, is down to the platform, they all look like geniuses off quick front foot ball

Also it is never a fair, true comparison unless the other inputs are equal, so will Tupou or Latu provide the 10 minutes this week?

No idea mate! But let’s go Lilo.