• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Does the current coaching structure remain into next season? It has certainly worked well this year.

I’m not sure if I heard correctly that DC is with the Stags for 2 years plus a option of another year. So hopefully that means he and the entire coaching compliment and players can build on what they’ve created this year.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Massive call to have back to back semis at North Sydney oval. Rats officials will be filthy with a 7000+ crowd could have been expected if they were to host at Rat Park. North Sydney oval is a beautiful ground but getting a beer or something to eat is near impossible when there is any sort of crowd.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Massive call to have back to back semis at North Sydney oval. Rats officials will be filthy with a 7000+ crowd could have been expected if they were to host at Rat Park. North Sydney oval is a beautiful ground but getting a beer or something to eat is near impossible when there is any sort of crowd.

Moving forward, they need to give the home ground advantage to the team which finished higher on the ladder. It's fairly standard practice. It's how the NRL do it, so it can't be so difficult to organise.

This week should be:

Uni v Manly at Uni
Eastwood v Easts at TGM
Warringah v Norths at Rat Park

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)

Yup. Rubbish facilities with any sort of a crowd.
Rat Park actually know how to cater. NSO ranks right up there with Leichhardt Oval - shouldn't be allowed to play if they can't properly trade.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)

Sydney Rugby Union get gate takings in finals, but Rats and their catering partners would certainly do great trade with another home final.
NSO double header a mistake for SRU in my opinion. Too many supporters have been exposed to the weaknesses of NSO from beer and snax perspective. A watch-at-home round with beers in the fridge and the barbie getting a first run before spring I reckon.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
In days gone by, clubs had to bid to host semis.
They changed it to highest ranked to host, which IMO probably maximised the gate.
This latest change slipped under the radar,and it seems there to be no rationale to justify why they’ve changed it.
Happy to be corrected/educated on the background.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In days gone by, clubs had to bid to host semis.
They changed it to highest ranked to host, which IMO probably maximised the gate.
This latest change slipped under the radar,and it seems there to be no rationale to justify why they’ve changed it.
Happy to be corrected/educated on the background.

That's correct, back in the day clubs bid to host finals series matches at the start of the season. The major beneficiaries of this tended to be the Rats and Woodies as they had the best facilities to host.

Highest rank to host came in for a little while, but it seems that a couple of big GF crowds at NSO has mesmerised the powers that be.

As somebody said earlier, SRU get the gate for finals matches but the clubs get the catering.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In my jaundiced mind's eye, Warringah seem to have benefited from many home games at semi final time over the years.
Mo Manly bias in that statement of course. ;)

We were always hamstrung when finals were played in September because Manly Oval reverts to cricket from 1 September.

RuckNoHands

Frank Row (1)
I'm heading down from Brisbane this weekend for City to Surf and was hoping to catch some finals action on the Saturday/Sunday

Can anyone direct me to where and when the games are on as I couldn't find anything too definitive online?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Are you sure that clubs get the catering?
My understanding is that North Sydney Council for example , was given the catering , while
SRU got the gate.
North Sydney Council bid for the recent grand finals & paid the SRU an amount for the " honour".
What benefit was/is there for North Sydney Council if they didn't get the catering , otherwise.
When the grand finals were held at Concord Oval in recent years , the SRU called for
bids from all clubs , & no one else except West Harbour bid. This required Wests to run the whole show,
including cleaning, catering, security etc. & also to pay the SRU for the privilege.
Wests were able to do this because ,firstly, they were able to provide a suitable
ground, & secondly , over 50 supporters of the club were willing to provide their time & labour
free of charge for the day , for the above activities to be carried out.
Consequently Wests received whatever net profit if any, accrued from catering.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Are you sure that clubs get the catering?
My understanding is that North Sydney Council for example , was given the catering , while
SRU got the gate.
North Sydney Council bid for the recent grand finals & paid the SRU an amount for the " honour".
What benefit was/is there for North Sydney Council if they didn't get the catering , otherwise.
When the grand finals were held at Concord Oval in recent years , the SRU called for
bids from all clubs , & no one else except West Harbour bid. This required Wests to run the whole show,
including cleaning, catering, security etc. & also to pay the SRU for the privilege.
Wests were able to do this because ,firstly, they were able to provide a suitable
ground, & secondly , over 50 supporters of the club were willing to provide their time & labour
free of charge for the day , for the above activities to be carried out.
Consequently Wests received whatever net profit if any, accrued from catering.

Perhaps they don't get the catering at NSO, but they would get it at most grounds.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep, that’s just down to the agreement they have with the council.
Rats had a similiar deal for some time.
Council got the gate, the canteen, even the car park.
Thankfully, that’s no longer the case.

HeadsUp

Frank Row (1)
This has obviously happened in the past and is how its done, BUT Rats won the most games in 1sts and 3nd's yet because of bonus points, we were relegated to third spot in both divisions. Surly most games won should take priority then bonus points are used to split them.....any thoughts on reviewing the bonus points system?

Status
Not open for further replies.