• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What a start to the Ashes!

Nathan Lyon becomes the fourth Australian to reach 350 test wickets as he bags 6fa.

Pat Cummins takes his 100th test wicket in his 21st test. He's the fourth fastest Australian to reach that milestone. He also has the best strike rate of any Australian bowler ever (slightly ahead of Starc).

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Listerned to Gilly yesterday afternoon and he predicted finished by an hour after lunch with Cummins and Lyon to be the destroyers. He must have a time machine. Great win by OZ.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A pretty amazing result considering where we were on the first morning.

Before the series I thought that the result sat in the hands of a few key batsmen - Warner and Smith for us, Root and Stokes for them. Someone is likely going to score a bag of runs and that team will probably win.

Well in game one it more or less panned out. Smith dragged us to victory, as much as any one player can. Meanwhile the English batsmen couldn't match him, even with Burns dropping anchor on day 2.

If Smith continues this form, we win the series. And I'd hope Warner can come to the party at some point too.

The other guy who deserves a shoutout is Siddle. I wasn't sure about his selection, given the class of Hazlewood and Starc. The numbers might not show it, but jeez he bowled well. On top of scoring critical runs on day one, he broke the Root/Burns partnership and induced about 1000 play-and-misses from the England bats.

Will go down as one of the more unsung heroes of Australian cricket. Never really grabbed the headlines, but likewise he rarely ever let the side down. A lot of Andy Bichel about him.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Surefire tactic for Pommy bowlers to dismiss Smith: let him score 140 runs and you've got 'im. :D

Talk of Foakes replacing Bairstow. That'd leave the Poms with Foakes, Stokes and Woakes!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
*cough*

Those are just the pace bowlers.

Clarrie Grimmett did it in 17 tests and Tiger O'Reilly did it in 20. Stuey McGill also did it in 21 tests.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That was a comeback victory for the ages. To be in dire straits on day 1 to then grind their way back to win was remarkable. I thought that our best chance of victory was to take the game as deep as possible and throw it over to Lyon on hopefully a wearing pitch. That's more or less what happened. We managed to keep the Poms in the field long enough for the track to deteriorate and start to play some tricks. Smith's twin hundreds kept us in it to begin with and then set the platform for victory once he had some help, thoroughly deserved MotM award there.

If we can win at Lord's we are a massive chance to go all the way and win the series. Hats off fellas, that was a fantastic win.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Lyon is such an important part of the side. You really can rely on him to bowl out a side on the fifth day now. Such an improved cricketer, at only 31 he’ll have over 500 wickets before career end and go down as one of the greats.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Pat the destroyer. I'm so glad he's managed to stay fit. Roll on the next couple of hundred. If he & Patto stay fit we will e very hard to beat.

What about Gaz, the most bagged bowler in world cricket, gets no respect from the oppo, has overcome some really poor form slumps and now will overtake the mighty DK. Unbelievable. Oh and massively punching above his weight with the sheilas.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be very tempting to bring back Starc for the Lords test. He really mastered the slope there in the CWC and took 9 wickets in two games from memory.

I think he should come in for Pattinson. Pattinson did nothing wrong but his injury history suggests we would be insane to think he can play all 5 tests.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I think Starc in for Patto is a decent shout. There will have to be some rotation, with five tests in around 6 weeks. I reckon all the quicks will get a shot at it at some point.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surefire tactic for Pommy bowlers to dismiss Smith: let him score 140 runs and you've got 'im. :D

Talk of Foakes replacing Bairstow. That'd leave the Poms with Foakes, Stokes and Woakes!

Reminiscent of Lille, Dilley and Willy, though this time all in the same side.