• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs All Blacks 10th August @Optus Stadium Perth

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Saw Luke Jones out last night at a pretty ungodly hour for someone meant to be playing the darkness in a week. Actually not as big as I expected. Also looks about 22 years old.

Kuridrani was in Singapore last week so I'd be wagering the players were given a week off as it's a long season for those going to the RWC.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ pardon the pun but it would leave us a jumper short, assuming you guys will have four targets on the park at any given time.

I haven't seen anyone come up with a snazzy name for a Cane-Read-ASav combo but I did see the dual-pivot experiment labelled the "Beau'unga" the other day, which I thought was reasonably clever.
I personally hope or think we won't have to think on it. I really think Fifita will start at 6 now Jacobson out.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This quote just popped up on my news feed. Espn is reporting this as a quote about Pocock from Hooper

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has combined Pocock and Hooper in the backline in the past and Hooper has no doubt the tactic can work again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah i wouldnt be overly concerned, particularly if we trot out LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 again.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why is that?

Ardie at 8 with Read at 6 works for me.

Yep zer0 works for you and I not saying it wrong, but I suspect that it may not work for AB coaching team, as I not sure they will be that keen on losing a bloody good lineout option, and not too sure they will want to change Read's position this close to WC, they tend to like a 6 that makes some hard hits on blindside and do you really believe that is Read's strength? I still believe it between Fifita and Jacobson for WC, with either Hemopo or Barrett the other options!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
.....they tend to like a 6 that makes some hard hits on blindside and do you really believe that is Read's strength?

It's certainly not Fifita's. It's not Frizell's either. Read's carrying is no longer up to standard for a test #8, but his defence is still fine. He's definitely no Kaino, but none of the other options are either. The closest replacement is probably Cane, who excels at head-on defence.

If they absolutely need Read to be on the field, and they're not going to play Cane at blindside, then they might as well play Read there, and let Savea do most of the carrying. Otherwise you're pointlessly shooting yourself in the foot by keeping a guy in a seminal position just because he was good there three or four years ago.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I actually think you underestimate Australia's lineout at your own peril. One of the few aspects of our game looking decent.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I actually think you underestimate Australia's lineout at your own peril. One of the few aspects of our game looking decent.

It was getting solid, not so sure over the last game though nor really against Boks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's certainly not Fifita's. It's not Frizell's either. Read's carrying is no longer up to standard for a test #8, but his defence is still fine. He's definitely no Kaino, but none of the other options are either. The closest replacement is probably Cane, who excels at head-on defence.

If they absolutely need Read to be on the field, and they're not going to play Cane at blindside, then they might as well play Read there, and let Savea do most of the carrying. Otherwise you're pointlessly shooting yourself in the foot by keeping a guy in a seminal position just because he was good there three or four years ago.

Yep understand your point mate, and still think the risk of losing lineout ball is the main (and maybe the only) thing that will save Fifita's arse!!

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
All this beat up in the media has me thinking Hansen is looking to psychologically destroy Chieka weeks out from the rwc.

Employ the same strategies that Australia has failed to implement for 4 years and beat them comfortably. Dual playmaker. Playmaker at FB. The AB pooper.

Then a comment about referees post match.

Then sit back and watch the fruits of your psychology warfare.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I not sure where this Read is not up to it comes from, Read has never been a real strong carrier in close in his whole career, he tends to do it in wider channels, always has, ABs have usally used tighties in Close, with perhaps Savea on shoulder or doing it I don't think anyone who really watched Read in latter part of season would say he was poor at carrying, in fact in Semis I thought he was superb Seems I reading a lot of what I read about McCaw before 15 WC, was supposedly past it, not doing this and that. I have no real problem if he goes to 6, but I still reckon Read is a world class 8. I not into changing things because some see a bright spark on TV that they think will replace an experienced good player. Don't forget we had howls on here from quite a number who were screaming that Akira was what was required in ABs ( certainly been pretty quite thsi year when he has shown what a lazy prick he is), it surely fortunate that AB selectors actually watch what players do in games to see what if they do what they need.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If you told me 2 years ago that this close the the World Cup the Blacks would not know who their starting 6 is I would have told you to get lost.

Quite surprising.

Too much invested into Squire without trialling alternatives? I guess Frizell and Fifita are relative newcomers as are those other names

I still suspect we will see Barret start at 6 against the Boks in the pool match. It's a huge game and will be immensely physical. Of all the names the coaches will go with the safest option and Barret is just that.

However, Ardie always plays well against boks so maybe they will chance their arm with an Ardie / Read / Cane combo.

Those are really the most logical at this stage. For one of the new guys to start in that pool match they will have to play out of their skin in the next two games.

It ain't in the AB DNA to experiment in big games.

Personally Barrett is the best option to counter our pack in the tight.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PS Ardie plays like a bloke that's a head taller and 20kg's heavier. He is just that physical. I think Hansen knows in the back of his mind that those are his combos he is havin' a look at the youngsters to see if someone shows him something to change his mind.

It ain't happening is my bet.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I not sure where this Read is not up to it comes from, Read has never been a real strong carrier in close in his whole career, he tends to do it in wider channels, always has, ABs have usally used tighties in Close, with perhaps Savea on shoulder or doing it I don't think anyone who really watched Read in latter part of season would say he was poor at carrying, in fact in Semis I thought he was superb Seems I reading a lot of what I read about McCaw before 15 WC, was supposedly past it, not doing this and that. I have no real problem if he goes to 6, but I still reckon Read is a world class 8. I not into changing things because some see a bright spark on TV that they think will replace an experienced good player. Don't forget we had howls on here from quite a number who were screaming that Akira was what was required in ABs ( certainly been pretty quite thsi year when he has shown what a lazy prick he is), it surely fortunate that AB selectors actually watch what players do in games to see what if they do what they need.

I certainly would not be praising the AB selectors and their handling of the 6 jersey.

Over the last few years here's a rundown of the 6 jersey

- tried Dixon and preferred him ahead of Luatua despite no test form to show of and ended up failing
- never give Luatua another proper go at the 6 jersey and he buggers off overseas whilst in career best form
- never give Shields a chance and he buggers off overseas
- anoint Squire as the top number 6 and give him chance after chance despite being a flat track bully (blocking players above and below)
- pick Frizell out of nowhere but then barely play him
- never really give S Barrett a proper chance at 6 despite his ability to play there
- never really give Hemopo a proper chance at 6 despite his ability to play there
- never give Akira a chance at 6 despite two strong outings at 6 vs Lions in 2017
- never give Papalii a chance at 6
- continue to give Fifita chances at 6 despite being a flat track bully.

Out of all this the 6 jersey is still a problem.

But how dare we criticise the AB selectors....

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I certainly would not be praising the AB selectors and their handling of the 6 jersey.

- tried Dixon and preferred him ahead of Luatua despite no test form to show of and ended up failing
- never give Luatua another proper go at the 6 jersey and he buggers off overseas whilst in career best form
- anoint Squire as the top number 6 and give him chance after chance despite being a flat track bully (blocking players above and below)
- never really give S Barrett a proper chance at 6 despite his ability to play there
- never really give Hemopo a proper chance at 6 despite his ability to play there
- never give Akira a chance at 6 despite two strong outings at 6 vs Lions in 2017

But how dare we criticise the AB selectors..

It must be tough having one position where you don't have one of the top 3 players in the world already penciled in ;)

Every other nation has these discussions with at least a 3rd of their team - all those players would be a walk up start for everyone bar SA, Ireland and Argentina

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

But how dare we criticise the AB selectors..

Really KiwiM, when Luatua got dropped he was playing shit rugby, admittedly he started going alright just before he buggered off overseas, but he was poor for a couple of seasons. Shield and Luatua going overseas, well sad to see both go, but any player that isn't prepared to stay and fight for jersey is not going to cut it, and think Luatua was always going anyway, and Shields turned it down as he had been offered English gig, and he thought there too much opposition for ABs! Barrett is a top class lock and they know what he is capable at 6, so in your world you weaken your lock stocks to strengthen up your 6? Can imagine your screaming about no decent replacement for Lurch if they did that. Hemopo I think would be ok there, not great but ok, I think papalii although a pretty good player stuffs up our lineout.
Haha and Akira??, and you think Fifita is a flat track bully!!!! FFS did you even watch him in super rugby, not ITM cup but Super and for the Maori team? I find it a little hard to take anyone seriously that still thinks Akira should be in ABs, he been named in squad a couple of times for training etc, you ever wondered why he was never kept in there??
I don't think they above criticism, but lets not grab at straws.