• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Full Strength Wallabies team

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. CLL
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Petaia
15. Banks

16. Latu
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Pocock
21. White
22. O'Connor
23. Beale
You realise Samu is 1cm taller than Pocock? Match fitness aside, if you have all 3 in the squad you’d start Pocock every day of the week and 3 times on a Saturday night. Which I reckon is the plan for the RWC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yep, I cannot see them relying on Beale or O'Connor to play 10, especially if Leali'ifano got injured early in a game, for example. I think it is likely both Leali'ifano and Foley will be in the 23. Someone will be a utility that covers some back 3 or even centre positions. And a reserve 9.
Yes. Hodge or JOC (James O'Connor) probably. Unless Kurtley ends up not starting.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lukhan gives you cover for both a lock and a backrower, otherwise if you run Pocock as the only cover for the backrow and either Peter or Naisarani go down, we're back to 3 jumpers and stuck with the same issue we found with the Pooper.
I guess he does but he’s not really a backrower. I reckon Coleman is firmly in Cheikas plans but injury has kept him out of the past two tests.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I personally don't see it Cyclo ie. Foley and Lilo being in the 23 together. As neither good options to bring off a bench. Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Hodge for emergency cover at 10 is fine. As remember Foley always played most of the full 80 minutes usually. It would be poor use of a bench to have Lilo or Foley on the bench.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It will be a fine balance between going all out to win this game, or experimenting a bit in terms of getting the best squad together for the RWC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Actually Dru I had lot of concerns about the cattle a year ago and believe warranted on depth and options....

But yes agree at this point looks pretty good for the most part depth wise - except probably standouts at 6 or on the wings in terms of players at world class level options.....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I personally don't see it Cyclo ie. Foley and Lilo being in the 23 together. As neither good options to bring off a bench. Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Hodge for emergency cover at 10 is fine. As remember Foley always played most of the full 80 minutes usually. It would be poor use of a bench to have Lilo or Foley on the bench.
You see, I really don't think they are.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lukhan gives you cover for both a lock and a backrower, otherwise if you run Pocock as the only cover for the backrow and either Peter or Naisarani go down, we're back to 3 jumpers and stuck with the same issue we found with the Pooper.
I'd say the problem with Pooper was the lack of a good 6. Our line-out functioned well enough when we had Fardy in the last RWC, but otherwise you need a big ball runner. Pooper doesn't work with McMahon, Dempsey or Hanigan. It looked like it could have worked with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at the beginning of last year, but he looks out of form now. It might work with Naisarani at 8 (and Pocock at 6), but I'd still be tempted to limit it to the last 30 minutes of a game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I understand your point Cyclo but just feel with bench spots so prescious and fact 10 unlike other player positions (e.g prop) more possible to play full 80 minutes as foley often done, that having another 10 just on the bench as emergency cover not a good option. As given will have a reserve 9 on the bench, we want the 1 or 2 other bench back players who can cover a few different positions and make an impact. Foley or Lilo are just not impact players at 12 as past experience shown and reality is neither the world class 10 players but just making best can do with what we have (but don't get me wrong Foley and Lilo serviceable but not world class). Prefer to have one of them in starting 10 but other missing out on a prescious bench spot as not the right mix to have both in the 23 IMHO.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I guess he does but he’s not really a backrower. I reckon Coleman is firmly in Cheikas plans but injury has kept him out of the past two tests.

With selections being done on a panel basis, Coleman hasn't shown anything in two years to warrant selection. He unfortunately isn't able to string together multiple games injury free nor form. Not really ideal heading to a sudden death tournament.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Any selection of Coleman is on the basis he can rediscover form he hasn’t shown for 2 years.

I don’t get why we’d do that.

Still - he’s in the squad I guess, so maybe Cheika thinks he can bring it out.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Any selection of Coleman is on the basis he can rediscover form he hasn’t shown for 2 years.

I don’t get why we’d do that.

Still - he’s in the squad I guess, so maybe Cheika thinks he can bring it out.

He may be training the house down, a key performance criterion for selection under Cheiks.
(That may or may not have come from my sarcastic brain cell.)

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I've got to say that the recruitment of Shaun Berne back to Australian shores a couple of years ago looks like one of the most astute signings any Australian coach has made in years.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

When we went wide and Latu naturally switch the play back insider away from the sideline I thought "that looks like the direction of a well drilled team." I am not sure if that is an "electric fence" (5 metre) line set protocol, ie not to play in the tram tracks - but it was definitely a directive of some sort.

CLL is the Wallaby 10, and I think based on tonight White the 9.
To'omua looked very good, and will most likely hold that spot through the WC as he covers 10/12.
All positions looks pretty good now except for 6, and to be fair to Loto he is trying his best and offers qualities no-one else has, namely his ability to bend the line.

I think Foley is genuinely in danger of missing the plane.

Pete Samu is in the Wallaby 23, I am certain of it. He is too good not to be. If we carry a lock such as Coleman, there is no way Luke Jones offers more than him.

Rory Arnold has been a revelation and makes our pack so much better. Latu looked tremendous and didn't give a penalty away?

Most importantly, I hope this performance build belief.

Go Wobs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coleman and To'omua have certainly earned reprieves........ but how much of that was based on the momentum of the game?

Fainga'a and Latu defnitely booked in for the RWC though.

White and Genia have a good tussle on their hands too.

And I think JOC (James O'Connor) will definitely be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.