• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Week 2 Finals at Griffith ?
So if Albury win the minor semi they are heading to Griffith

If the 2nd week was in Albury and Griffith won the minor semi then they would head to Albury?
Griffith look most likely to finish 3rd and probably have the best facilities in the competition (on the main oval), I'm happy with the decision.

Simple solution was to let the winner of the minor semi host the Week 2 Prelim Finals or give them to Albury if it was their turn

Only a couple of posts ago you were complaining SIRU was leaving the decision too late now you would like to wait until the week before to decide where to have the finals

How long since Aggies or CSU have hosted a final, maybe it's their turn?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I haven’t got access to the Border Mail or the DA articles. What’s the equation for Albury making the finals with this weekend’s games? Is there a chance they can miss out?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I started writing a bit of a spiel about this docking of competition points scenario but deleted it. The Steamer's aren't the first club to suffer this outcome this season but did the power's that be get it right in those other instances? Has the zone painted itself into a corner? Do members of the Board regret their earlier decisions to dock competition points?

I think there is a really simple answer here. Can the SIRU Zone confirm that all player registrations are in order? If they can't, this decision can't stand up. It's that simple.

How is it fair or reasonable that a Shute Shield and NRC player is running around in the competition two weeks out from finals but a team is docked competition points for not having their paperwork in order for a guy who lives in the town and has won Premierships with them? It just doesn't add up.

We should be celebrating the Griffith Blacks being able to host in Week Two (so I can drink cold beer and eat pizza at Il Corso before snoozing in the back of the car on the drive home), not talking about this sort of stuff.

I'll probably get howled down by some members of the rugby community, but this just doesn't feel right.

I haven’t got access to the Border Mail or the DA articles. What’s the equation for Albury making the finals with this weekend’s games? Is there a chance they can miss out?

PB, The Steamer's (4th) are presently 9 points clear of City (5th). Docking 5 points brings that margin back to 4 competition points. Albury are well ahead on points differential (63 points) vs City on (minus 10 points).

Tumut v City this weekend and Tahs v Albury.

City would need to beat Tumut with a bonus point (score 4 or more tries) and the Steamers would need to lose with zero bonus points to Waratahs.

On a side note, you seriously need to download the Rugby Xplorer App.... :) :) :)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Ok, I get it now, sorry I'm a bit slow on the uptake and I'm not paying for a DA subscription.

I'll put my tin foil hat on for a minute.

So, this happened in the Albury v City match. Which is now a "non-result" Albury now cop -30 points and City get +30 points. A season-defining game for both clubs.

Now, there's a Shute Shield and NRC player down from Sydney for a match against Waratahs, I wonder if he'll play this weekend again? Clearly this player can't be eligible for finals footy so why is he playing for the club? He must have some strong club connections.

I don't see it as a "Black and White" decision, I'd expect there are other clubs that don't have their houses in order in this regard and that an appeal would be successful.

Something doesn't seem right with this.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Tin foil doesn't suit you YMS.

Yep, happened in the Albury v City game. I do not believe for one second that Albury did this deliberately or with intent. And it certainly wasn't something that came to our clubs attention - nor were we looking for it. The real issue is that SIRU has created a rod for its own back here. By stripping points off lower grade sides earlier in the year it had to do the same in this instance. Which given the current scenario seems way out of proportion to the crime so to speak. So the big question here is the system itself , not the player. Anyone familiar with the complexities of the app will be aware that a weekly registered player will stay in the system up until midnight the following friday if they registered on the previous saturday.

Now, there's a Shute Shield and NRC player down from Sydney for a match against Waratahs, I wonder if he'll play this weekend again? Clearly this player can't be eligible for finals footy so why is he playing for the club?
For the record the player in question registered with the club (and paid his money - which is within the rules) and there is a bloody good chance he will register again this week (and pay his money and maybe even get a rubber stamp!) to play again. It must be noted that he did train with City in the pre season and it must be also noted that he registered with the club at that time. Its also worth noting that he hadn't played any rugby at all since early June. I don't think he will be the first player to leave town and come back again. Yes, we are well aware that he cannot play finals football if that indeed occurs.

For the record , I am very uncomfortable with this whole Albury situation on a number of levels. You cannot tell me that this has only occurred in 3 instances this year across all grades and all clubs. Imagine the great big can of worms that would generate !

The fall out from this will be interesting.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Tin foil doesn't suit you YMS.
I've never been a fan of tin foil hats, there's usually a logical explanation for most things.

For the record , I am very uncomfortable with this whole Albury situation on a number of levels. You cannot tell me that this has only occurred in 3 instances this year across all grades and all clubs. Imagine the great big can of worms that would generate !

The fall out from this will be interesting.

I'm pleased that have some of those conspiracy theories dismissed and it's good to hear some background on Noa. Context is important.

I agree that the zone has put itself in this situation and it looks like an ill-considered outcome early in the year has come back to haunt the competition.

And the registration process is clearly not perfect is it!!

I would also agree that there it is more than likely that there are a range of clubs who aren't across this point. Is registration important? Clearly it is. Should this malarky be an outcome from that? I think there are more sensible options.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah I think it is really disappointing to have the competition impacted in such a way, especially at this late stage. As you have all said the SIRU board had little choice given the decisions earlier in the year, but what do the competition rules say should happen in the event of an unregistered player taking the field? If it was in the first couple of rounds would there be such a big problem?

Pretty sure the app won't let you select an unregistered player in the team so when the match started whoever was looking after it from Albury would have known the individual wasn't in the team and could not find him in the the registered players list and either didn't say anything or the club ignored the fact an unregistered player was on the field. Potentially would have got away with it but it was the televised match (is it fair that only one match each week gets this scrutiny?). If it had happened against another club they would still be 4 points above city with a much better chance of playing finals.

If said player was seriously injured unregistered what are the consequences for SIRU and the club involved, how would they know if he received a red card and was meant to be cited?

Overall it is a shit sandwich that has to be eaten.

I would rather have the old system where clubs register players and pay a team fee to Brumbies/RA/insurance, that would mean we didn't have this whole casual registration.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah I think it is really disappointing to have the competition impacted in such a way, especially at this late stage. As you have all said the SIRU board had little choice given the decisions earlier in the year, but what do the competition rules say should happen in the event of an unregistered player taking the field? If it was in the first couple of rounds would there be such a big problem?

Pretty sure the app won't let you select an unregistered player in the team so when the match started whoever was looking after it from Albury would have known the individual wasn't in the team and could not find him in the the registered players list and either didn't say anything or the club ignored the fact an unregistered player was on the field. Potentially would have got away with it but it was the televised match (is it fair that only one match each week gets this scrutiny?). If it had happened against another club they would still be 4 points above city with a much better chance of playing finals.

If said player was seriously injured unregistered what are the consequences for SIRU and the club involved, how would they know if he received a red card and was meant to be cited?

Overall it is a shit sandwich that has to be eaten.

I would rather have the old system where clubs register players and pay a team fee to Brumbies/RA/insurance, that would mean we didn't have this whole casual registration.

As I understand it, there are sanctions available to the Board which they didn't take. For me, a sliding scale would be a more sensible approach. Maybe a written warning with a suspended sentence in the first instance, a fine in the second with docking competition points being a last resort might be a good way to go about it?

There needs to be a commonsense outcome to this. Hopefully there is one that doesn't require anyone to eat a shit sandwich. Maybe some humble pie though?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
The problem is that they (SIRU) have set a precedent. SIRU stripped points from Tahs womens (now there's an incredible irony !) and Leeton for fielding unregistered players. Innocent mistake , technical glitch, failure to communicate , it doesn't matter. The same punishment has to be meted out. Because they set the precedent. And to double down on it is going to open a great big old bun fight !

I wonder if the minutes from the last board meeting are available ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I reckon the "Bun Fight" as @Bubba puts it is what needs to be opened though. The Board can't seriously consider that there are only 3x instances of this across the comp can they?

And for the record, the Steamers 1st Grade team are no more important than the other teams that have copped this outcome. The question now is, should they have copped this outcome at all?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Gosh , cant a lot happen in a few days in good old SIRU !

I think if you sat down and worked out a way to jerk around two clubs and an essentially an entire competition , you could not have done better than this !

I would have loved to have had heard some of the conversations going on upstairs at Roms the last few days !

City by 20 (only because we have to !)
Tahs by 20
Aggies by 50 plus
Griffith by 25

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Now on a very positive note ! And thats rare for this forum !

Well done to Tumut Bulls on saturday, the Golden Oldies game between Bulls, City & Kiama was extremely enjoyable if a tad difficult due to weather ! I will be honest that the snow on the field prior to kick off was a little disconcerting but the port soon cleared that up!

Well done Tumut. It was a very enjoyable day.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
On a positive note I reckon Steamers are running into form at the right time. With the Blacks going down to Leeton, Albury will be feeling confident going into Saturday. Aggies too looked pretty good on the livestream.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
No I didn’t Bandar. That was the exact same score last time they played as well. Except Griffith won on that occasion. There’s not much at all between those teams. Leeton tend to let themselves down by giving away too many penalties.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Big day of rugby at Connolly tomorrow, I hope the canteen and facilities are able to cope !

Hard to see Tahs getting done tomorrow , but heres hoping anyway !

The big game of the day is Blacks v Steamers in my thoughts. I think Whistle is right about that game. Steamers to outlast purely by discipline.

The lower grades have some cracking games as well. Be a good day thats for sure !

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
It would be fantastic if both 1st grade semifinals were live-streamed. Must be a concern for Aggies the way Waratahs dominated the scrum last week. I thought the way of Whistle and Bubba re the minor semi. Was talking to a Blacks player today though. Griffith are pretty confident.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Waratahs v CSU Women's game was the best game of the day in my view. Griffith v Albury had some cliffhanger moments there as the Blacks had two chances to draw the scores late in the game but the Women's game was a cracker.

It's interesting to see the effect that changing to a Ten's Competition has had on the Women's game. I think there is more shape to the game now, the speedsters have to earn the right to score tries and there are more technical aspects to the game which is great to see.