• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Just looking at the table I can't believe there hasn't been more of a blow up on this forum as to why Brothers didn't take the shot for penalty goal on fulltime last week against Uni.

If they had then Uni would now be on 36 points in danger of stalling on that number with the bye & GPS - in danger of having a number of clubs run them down in Easts, Wests & Bond.

Is there a conspiracy theory that Brothers would rather play Uni than one of the others?

Well looks like this theory may have backfired. Congratulations to Uni. Great season from Brothers both Hospital Cup level and whole of club.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
quote="Dark Shark, post: 1088400, member: 4692"]Well looks like this theory may have backfired. Congratulations to Uni. Great season from Brothers both Hospital Cup level and whole of club.[/quote]

Yep , the consistency of Brothers across the competition was very impressive.

Spoke today after the game about how Brothers not taking the kick to win it in the second last round got UQ into the semifinals, he might have missed it mind you , but plenty of Red Heavies supporters very happy today. The team looked broken midway through the season, fully fit today and it showed .

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Probably not the outcome Brothers would have expected on a club level. They walked away with third, fifth and sixth grade premierships and Colts 2 I believe. Still a great effort to be in so many finals but I’m sure feelings are mixed at Crosby Rd tonight on what could have been.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Well done to the Heavies considering where you were mid season..Harry Hockings, what a game, go go gagget arms.

What a great game of quality rugby great win by Hni - hockings korcyk mcdermott had great games against an impressive Brothers side. Quality tactics by Uni to wait and bring their two first choice props on 20mins into the game I thought.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congratulations to Uni - a very good win. Hockings, Korcyk, and Mcdermott were the standouts for me. McReight had a very good game in a beaten (apart from the scrums) forward pack.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Massive win for Uni, they played smarter rugby and managed to tame the beast that is the Brethren back row.

Why it took Brothers so long to unleash their backs was a bit odd but credit to Uni they dominated the set piece and managed to score some great meat pies. Uni defence was also immense. They were all over the ruck.

I think Brothers played their grand final vs us a couple of weeks ago they really weren't the same team from the prior few rounds unfortunately for them.

But how about the quality of players we have at the moment. Bloody hell, McReight, Wilson, Korzyck, McDermott, Scott-Young, Campbell and Hockings, how bloody good was Hockings. I keep saying it, he is a 50 cap wallaby at LEAST.

What a tussle for 7 it will be next year McReight v Wright. Awesome stuff. McReight loks to be one of the most natural footballers I have seen for a long time.

How good is this young kid Flook? Has a bit the young Ben Tune about him...geez excited about where he goes.

All in all what a fantastic few weeks we've had in Brissie club footy, the best rugby I've seen for a long time. Credit to the QRU, the web streaming, the programs, the commentary (please Foxtel give Jaybor and the Sauce a show, how much better they are than the insipid Mitchell and Hoiles). Jaybor has been the icing on the cake for his commentary, a passionate bloke that obviously loves his footy.

Vale Ballymore. There were great memories to cherish today for the Uni fans on the hill, I can still clearly remember being on the hill on Sat night 1996 for the GPS Souths match, one of my many many favourite Ballymore moments.

I've had the privilege to watch matches around the world in some of the great rugby stadiums but for me none can match an arvo of test match football on the hill, a can of XXXX in one hand and a four'n'twenty in the other.

Congrats to all the clubs in the finals including the mighty Gallopers getting up in reserve grade. Not sure if they've managed to ban our club song yet but hopefully it'll be ringing out @ Yoku Rd tonight.

Bring on 2020.

B

Bobby Sands

No one that comes to mind, other than Jerry Lynch from Wests. But at the same time, we must have 4 deserving players in front of him which I wouldn’t trade out.

Kye Oates has got the game for the next level having just watched it.

Twidale another good one.

TGS and Downlands boys respectively. More lads from the Downs will make QLD rugby more savvy.

We need more bushy footballers.

B

Bobby Sands

Jaybor has been the icing on the cake for his commentary, a passionate bloke that obviously loves his footy.

Great summary!

I can vouch for the fact that Jaybor is a corker of a bloke, and has been pumping out the content for years. (Theres a video of him from Wests CCTV about 10 years ago where he slides down a railing, goes head first into a vase, knocks it over but gets back up nonchalantly and puts the vase back only to carry on like nothing happened).

Hope hes gets his crack.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So the final tipping standings has three of us finishing on 51 points. Beer Baron might be ruing that he didn't tip this week, I know I put them up late. Well done Beer Baron and Rugby Follower.

Students were very good yesterday and it was a great game of footy. Brothers and GPS were the best teams for the entire season but Uni love finals footy.

Thanks for everyone who tipped this season, has added a lot of enjoyment from my end. A few times I've even found my self yelling at Brothers to win when watching the stream (I've never felt dirtier in my life).

Beer Baron 51
Jets 51
Rugby Follower 51
Nomad 48
Keeno 45
Pick n drive 45
Robbitybob 45
Happyman 44
Rugby Reg 44
Sage Too 44
Cam Goddard 43
RAF 42
GirtbySea 41
DB 40
nmpc 40
Hound 39
Southernx 38
Dark Shark 36
Getwithme 35
Paty305 34
Beerad 33
jimmy.crouch 30
Hennaz 24
new recruit_ brisbane 17
eldiablo 13
manwithcaninhand 11
Phatmic 9
Shane T 9
Lovemyclubfooty 8
East Coast Aces 6
Jeeper 6
David 4
heavy unit 4
Loveclubrugby 4
FigJam 3
J Cole 3
Magpie for me 3
Mr Grump 3
Reds 3
Stellies 3
Throbber 2
Bulldog 1
q 1
Will 1
roberts rugby 0

dru

Tim Horan (67)
See post #1030 for Beer Baron's tip , he went The Filth so same result.

Cheers Jets for your efforts with the tipping , certainly has made the season more enjoyable.

Got to agree with this. Promise to try and know enough to enter next year. Well done Jets.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is it too soon to talk about QPR2020?

I think there are a number of clubs who need to get better if they want to be in contention to win the Hospital Cup next year, not just make the 4.

I will exclude the grand finalists from this discussion because Uni will always be a threat if they can make the 4 & Brothers won't fall too far back in 2020 unless their young guns get super rugby time with the Reds in 2020. I think these guys will still play plenty of club rugby in 2020 & won't have junior wallaby commitments.!

Then there are the following clubs who need to add (or replace) to their squads in 2020 (I.e. Get better) - GPS, Easts, Wests, Souths, Bond.

I think Norths & Sunnybank may be in for another lean year in 2020 but both showed in 2019 that they are heading in an upward trajectory.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Is it too soon to talk about QPR2020?

I think there are a number of clubs who need to get better if they want to be in contention to win the Hospital Cup next year, not just make the 4.

I will exclude the grand finalists from this discussion because Uni will always be a threat if they can make the 4 & Brothers won't fall too far back in 2020 unless their young guns get super rugby time with the Reds in 2020. I think these guys will still play plenty of club rugby in 2020 & won't have junior wallaby commitments.!

Then there are the following clubs who need to add (or replace) to their squads in 2020 (I.e. Get better) - GPS, Easts, Wests, Souths, Bond.

I think Norths & Sunnybank may be in for another lean year in 2020 but both showed in 2019 that they are heading in an upward trajectory.

Why not create a QPR 2020 thread...

Happy to join you there rather then beat this dead horse of QPR 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.