• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's becoming tough. I would almost prefer LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) go back to Tah-land as I think they would benefit out of him more than anyone.

We're looking at something like

1 Hoopert (unsigned as far as we know)
2 Mafi (unsigned as far as we know)
3 Tupou
4 Rodda (c)
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Wright
7 McReight
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 Lucas (unsigned as far as we know)
11 Speight
12 O'Connor
13 Petaia
14 Daugunu / Campbell
15 Campbell / Stewart (unsigned as far as we know)

That team should be duking it out for top of the conference. Pretty exciting group, with the others mentioned previously.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
1 Hoopert (unsigned as far as we know)
12 O'Connor
13 Petaia

I agree with everything you've said Reg other than these three. I still think Smith is the better scrummager and I'd rather Hoopert gets another development year as he still needs to grow into his prop body.

With JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia, I'd switch their numbers around so that come international level, they're accustom to playing in the same positions as its very likely they'll be the post WC centre pairing.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I get the excitement around McReight and Wilson et al. but I've seen the same stuff written time and time again with young blokes coming through. Lukhan is going to find he will need to work harder to maintain his position but I think he'll be in the frame at the start of the season and it will be the young guys job to show they are up to it at Super Level and dislodge him. Don't forget you are talking about a bunch of kids and the incumbent Wallaby 6.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I get the excitement around McReight and Wilson et al. but I've seen the same stuff written time and time again with young blokes coming through. Lukhan is going to find he will need to work harder to maintain his position but I think he'll be in the frame at the start of the season and it will be the young guys job to show they are up to it at Super Level and dislodge him. Don't forget you are talking about a bunch of kids and the incumbent Wallaby 6.

Who is soon to be dropped. He couldn't hold down his spot in the Qld team this year let alone next year where there is a hell of a lot more quality competition.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
^* absolutely, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is playing against All Blacks, these other guys have been playing against U20s and QPR.

Wilson has technical areas of his game he needs to work on, I really don’t consider him a confirmed starter at this stage.
McRreight is a very good player, and could easily be starting from the early rounds.
Hockings aerial skills are ridiculous, if he can fill out a little more in the off-season he will be a starting lock come 2020.

Personally I think the forward pack may look a little like this:

4. Rodda
5. Hockings
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Wright
8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)

Which leaves
Blyth, Wood, Wilson, McReight for the bench spots

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's going to be a big job for the Reds juggling contracts and working out who to prioritise and when etc. They've already locked in McReight for four years and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Wright for two more.

Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Blyth look like they are signed for one more year until the end of 2020. Not sure about Hockings.

They have a lot of excellent talent coming through and inevitably won't be able to keep all of them. Making sure they keep the right ones at the right prices is going to be crucial. They haven't always done that successfully in the past.

B

Bobby Sands

It's going to be a big job for the Reds juggling contracts and working out who to prioritise and when etc. They've already locked in McReight for four years and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Wright for two more.

Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Blyth look like they are signed for one more year until the end of 2020. Not sure about Hockings.

They have a lot of excellent talent coming through and inevitably won't be able to keep all of them. Making sure they keep the right ones at the right prices is going to be crucial. They haven't always done that successfully in the past.

You can have Lukhan back.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree with everything you've said Reg other than these three. I still think Smith is the better scrummager and I'd rather Hoopert gets another development year as he still needs to grow into his prop body.

With JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia, I'd switch their numbers around so that come international level, they're accustom to playing in the same positions as its very likely they'll be the post WC centre pairing.

The Smith's form this year was down big time. I was pushing their Wallaby credentials at the start of the year, but couldn't justify it given their form.

What makes you think Petaia is a 12? Or even JOC (James O'Connor) a 13? Petaia is a pure 13 for mine and would be wasted in closer. Likewise I've seen nothing from JOC (James O'Connor) this last two weeks that convinces me he's a 13. He'll live off that one pass for a while though I'd suggest.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

agree. And I think the likes of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are likely to start the season at 8 and 6 (with Wright at 7). But I think my season end, and our strongest team is settled, Wilson and McReight will be the starters.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That team should be duking it out for top of the conference. Pretty exciting group, with the others mentioned previously.

yeah, depth is the big concern though. I think we are well served in the pack pretty much. A little further outwide (loss of Kerevi, Paia'aua and Naivalu) and we struggle.

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Sure. He is an obvious player to move on after his current contract ends.

I don't think that will solve all the Reds contracting issues with this talented group of players.

Harry Wilson is signed for one more year. If he has a breakout season for the Reds it will be interesting to see what they can offer him for 2021 onwards and what other teams offer given they will already have 3 backrowers signed for 2021+ (McReight, Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young)). Clearly every Reds fan would view him as crucial to keep.

If I was the Reds I would be prioritising Rodda, Hockings, McReight, Wright and Wilson as a potential starting 4-8 in the future. Whether they can make that happen is a different story.

B

Bobby Sands

Sure. He is an obvious player to move on after his current contract ends.

I don't think that will solve all the Reds contracting issues with this talented group of players.

Harry Wilson is signed for one more year. If he has a breakout season for the Reds it will be interesting to see what they can offer him for 2021 onwards and what other teams offer given they will already have 3 backrowers signed for 2021+ (McReight, Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young)). Clearly every Reds fan would view him as crucial to keep.

If I was the Reds I would be prioritising Rodda, Hockings, McReight, Wright and Wilson as a potential starting 4-8 in the future. Whether they can make that happen is a different story.

Thanks for your optimism, we will let you know. Best,

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Think you are wrong here on this hottake.

Lukhan was in the starting team more times then not even at the expense of Scott Higginbotham.

Well Scotty wasn't much chop either this year. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was below average during the Supe and that has shown in his test performances.

You can't beat a combination of raw natural ability, a willingness to get stuck in plus ticker. A big NRC from the new boys will seal the deal. They are exactly what Brad wants in his team.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I disagree Finsbury Girl.

Scott Higginbotham has a great season. When you take away all his yellow cards and judge him on his work rate when on the field then I say he was the best backrower not named Liam Wright.

Higganbotham is not back at the reds not due to form but rather he wanted a new chapter in the twilight part of his career.

B

Bobby Sands

Give me footballers over size any day.

When you dig deeper, we want to keep players who are instinctively driven to combative rugby and have formed combinations over years of playing together.

I often think that the most interesting battle over the next few years will be the combination of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wright V Mcreight & Wilson. Will they break up the combos? And if not who will survive from the combinations that are chosen as the first choice.

My feelings are similar to Reg in that I think the Brothers combo will win out and that Wright/ASY (Angus Scott-Young) will share the 6 role.

These four are the priority.

The locking hierarchy is a lot less clear - but my gut says that the long term pairing will be Rodda & Hockings. Blythe to be the backup tighthead lock. It’s less clear because in the short term the best combo will probably be Rodda & Lukhan.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Who is soon to be dropped. He couldn't hold down his spot in the Qld team this year let alone next year where there is a hell of a lot more quality competition.

I'm not sure you're remembering things accurately. I went back through the last 10 matches of the season and he started in 8 matches, came off the bench in 1 and in Rd 17 he was rested inline with the RA Workload Management Protocols. I wouldn't say he was struggling to hold down his spot. He's the incumbent Wallaby 6, was immense against the AB's in Perth and admittedly didn't have his best game at Eden Park but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe there. I love your passion and support for the next generation of players but I'm going to wait and see how things pan out there before I get too giddy.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I disagree Finsbury Girl.

Scott Higginbotham has a great season. When you take away all his yellow cards and judge him on his work rate when on the field then I say he was the best backrower not named Liam Wright.

Higganbotham is not back at the reds not due to form but rather he wanted a new chapter in the twilight part of his career.

All good SX, we can agree to disagree. We can agree it's a great selection problem to have.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The Smith's form this year was down big time. I was pushing their Wallaby credentials at the start of the year, but couldn't justify it given their form.

What makes you think Petaia is a 12? Or even JOC (James O'Connor) a 13? Petaia is a pure 13 for mine and would be wasted in closer. Likewise I've seen nothing from JOC (James O'Connor) this last two weeks that convinces me he's a 13. He'll live off that one pass for a while though I'd suggest.

Fair call on Smith, I guess I'm approaching Hoopert's development from a cautionary perspective as he's only 21 next month! I definitely think he's close to a starting spot, I'm just worried about his size.

Did we cut Feo? I haven't heard anything about him since his thumb was broken.

I personally want Jordan closer to the ball at 12 running on the inside of the 10 and also helping with that 9-10-12 channel defensive coverage. I want him to have the ball in hand more often than not and we saw on the weekend that at 13 you can turn invisible.

I think given time, James could be our Conrad Smith at 13. He's got the necessary skill set to excel there i.e. catch, pass and kick. I also like the idea of having a 'wiser' or more experienced head further away from the action communicating with the back three.

Reactions: dru

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

I'd rather he's in Red myself. Really not getting all the hate coming his way. Isn't all this depth a good thing to have? It's what championship sides are built on surely.