• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tonga v Western Force - Teufalva Sport Stadium, Tonga - Sat, 24 Aug 2019 - 1000 hrs AWST

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force tackle World Cup team

August 16, 2019

The Western Force continue to gather admirers around the world including former Wallabies great and current Tongan national coach Toutai Kefu who has invited the West Australian side to the Pacific nation as they finalise their Rugby World Cup preparations.

Kefu, who played 60 tests for Australia, including the 1999 World Cup, approached the Force after keeping tabs on the WA side during their unbeaten run in the 2019 Global Rapid Rugby Showcase.
“To be invited to play against a national team as part of their preparations for the World Cup is a huge privilege for our players and for the club,” Force head coach Tim Sampson said.

“Opportunities for clubs to play against national teams do not occur often.
“The invitation to travel to Tonga highlights that the Western Force is recognised and respected throughout World Rugby and is a credit to the environment of elite performance everyone has worked hard to create here,” Sampson added.

The match will be held at Teufaiva Sport Stadium in Tonga on Saturday, August 24. The timing of the game will be ideal for both sides with Tonga getting another tough hit out, while the Force kick start their National Rugby Championship campaign at the end of the month.

A proud rugby nation, Sampson knows it will be a tough challenge against the ‘Ikale Tahi who will be playing their last game at home before a further two pre-World Cup matches against Fiji and the All Blacks in New Zealand.

Tonga kicks off their World Cup campaign in Sapporo on September 22 against England and up to four players who took part in the Global Rapid Rugby competition are in contention to pull on the jersey including Leon Fukofuka, Latiume Fosita, Sefo Sakalia and Fotu Lokotui.

Sampson said there was a buzz around the club as they prepared to test themselves against a side brimming with international talent.
“We were wrapped with our performance against the Valke last Friday, it was very satisfying to see the way the group performed as we finalised out Rapid Rugby season,” Sampson said.
“We have quickly turned our attention to tackling Tonga and know that we will need to be at our very best against a world-class side that Toutai has brought together.”

Game details:
Date: 24 August 2019
Time: 10am AWST – (Tonga: 3pm)

https://www.westernforce.com.au/force-tackle-world-cup-team/

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantastic opportunity for the Western Fiorce and extended squad/club players to show their talents against the a Tongan Test National representative Team.

The game follows Tonga's game against Canada and immediately before their final pre-RWC games against Fiji and All Blacks.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it isn't a test team if it isn't a test.

Still a great opportunity. It will be aTongan XV. Not a test team.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
it isn't a test team if it isn't a test.

Still a great opportunity. It will be a Tongan XV. Not a test team.

Thanks RR it's always good to get your constructive/supportive comments about anything to do with the Western Force and attempts to pave a way forward for WA rugby.

However, you are correct as there may be a few "Test" players missing from the game on Saturday.

Would greatly appreciate your changing the word "Test" in the thread title to say "representative" team or "national" team or anything else you think appropriate (as I can't do that).

I can't see anywhere else that the word "Test" needs to be changed.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
While this match is not a Test, it wouldn't be impossible to make it one.

All that needs to happen is for the TRU to say it's a Test.

True fact, that's how teams like the Waratahs, Fiji Warriors, South Africa U23, and Australian Universities (FFS…) got to play in "Test" matches.

There's obviously no requirement for national teams either. I mean … y'know … Wales is not an actual country. It might just scrape in as a principality. ;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
While this match is not a Test, it wouldn't be impossible to make it one.

All that needs to happen is for the TRU to say it's a Test.

True fact, that's how teams like the Waratahs, Fiji Warriors, South Africa U23, and Australian Universities (FFS…) got to play in "Test" matches.

There's obviously no requirement for national teams either. I mean … y'know … Wales is not an actual country. It might just scrape in as a principality. ;)

Correct.

The term 'test' derived from the matches being a 'test of strength and competency' between two nations. However one nation can challenge any team to a 'test match'. So for example, I'm just plucking a low level rugby nation from nowhere here, Sweden could challenge Easts to a game to see how they're travelling and call it a 'test match'. I'm not sure the players get a 'cap' though?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Correct.

The term 'test' derived from the matches being a 'test of strength and competency' between two nations. However one nation can challenge any team to a 'test match'. So for example, I'm just plucking a low level rugby nation from nowhere here, Sweden could challenge Easts to a game to see how they're travelling and call it a 'test match'. I'm not sure the players get a 'cap' though?
Good point. I s'pose Easts blokes could get a club 'cap', Swedes might get a 'test' cap.

I wonder if Christmas Island, as a formerly semi-autonomous territory, could have a "national" team?

Good enough for the likes of Tahiti (and England/Scotland/Wales) …

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Correct.

Well I suppose they could get an Easts cap??

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Good point. I s'pose Easts blokes could get a club 'cap', Swedes might get a 'test' cap.

I wonder if Christmas Island, as a formerly semi-autonomous territory, could have a "national" team?

Good enough for the likes of Tahiti (and England/Scotland/Wales) …

Interestingly the reverse happened in the 1920s when the 'Waratahs' would often play the All Blacks. The former were basically the Australian team as there was very little rugby played anywhere else, so the ARU retroactively issued test caps to the NSW players who played in these games, however the NZRU didn't do the same to the AB's who played. No doubt this will be music to BR's ears ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Having watched a bit of the Pacific Nations tournament, Tonga is the worst conditioned international team I have ever seen. They are so fat and slow. The Japanese team ran circles around them. They are going to get slaughtered in the tournament. I think one of the props is physically unable to jog, let alone run.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They are going to get slaughtered in the tournament. I think one of the props is physically unable to jog, let alone run.
And yet they're all paid to play in Europe. Being an athlete is clearly not a requirement for a professional rugby prop. :)

We've gotta face facts when a country with fewer people than Darwin is playing at the "world" cup. If Tonga is ranked at 15, half a point below 6N bluffers Italy and also-rans United States then we know rugby is a minor pastime.

How poor are Canada? Not in the Top 20, beaten by Tonga, and yet going to the world cup. We all love the game but you've got to be honest. Rugby union is not a sport of "world" consequence.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantastic to see 5 local Perth and Australian Club Rugby players in the extended squad including one run-on.
Lavaka's first run-on game for the Western Force.
Great opportunity to show their stuff.
Deegan gets his first run-on Captain role with Prior off the bench.

69559553_2437250322980369_3977511540004749312_n.png

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Youngsters called-up for World Cup challenge
August 23, 2019

The Western Force will unveil a first time Captain as well as five potential debutants on Saturday as the West Australian’s test themselves against a tough Tongan outfit intent on putting the final polish on their World Cup preparations.

The last time a full-strength Tongan team played on home soil was two years ago during the 2017 South Pacific Championships. Saturday’s match will be the final time local supporters will see their side in Tonga before they head to Japan and Force Head Coach Tim Sampson said he expected the ‘Ikale Tahi will be hungry for a victory.
“It has been some time since they have played at home so they will certainly enjoy playing in front of their passionate supporters,” Sampson said.
“They are a well-balanced team and being only a month out from the World Cup they will no doubt be wanting to put in a performance that they will be proud of,” Sampson added.

With regular Force skipper Ian Prior coming off the bench, Andrew Deegan will captain the team for the first time.
“Andrew is one of our key game managers, the players are used to hearing his voice so I am sure he will handle the captaincy well. He is an intelligent player and has been instrumental in our performances so far this year,” Sampson said.

First-year recruit Ben Grant will run on for the first time in the starting XV in a reflection of his hard work and progress made throughout the year.
“Ben has been training really well and I am sure he is excited to get a start against a National Team in the ‘Ikale Tahi,” Sampson said.

With Rodney Iona opting to play for Melbourne Rising in the NRC, Wanneroo Rugby Club’s star centre, Grason Makara, received a call-up having been on the radar of Force coaching staff for some time.
“Grason has had a great year at Wanneroo and has thrived in the RugbyWA Senior Academy. He has been with us in a training capacity over the last few months and I look forward to seeing his performance against Tonga,” Sampson said.

After making an impact off the bench against Malaysia Valke in his first game for the Force a fortnight ago, Tongan national Haluafa Lavaka will start in the number 14 jersey in front of family and friends.
“This is an important game for ‘Big H’ with it being in his home-land. He has been training really well with us and is looking forward to the opportunity to start in this game,” Sampson said.

The Force will also see two fresh faces in Kitione Ratu and Bryon Ralston, who will both be looking to impress and push for selection coming off the bench.
“Kiti in recent years has played for the Fiji Warriors as well as the Melbourne Rebels and Rising. He is a very skilful player and is naturally gifted. Bryon, like Kiti, has a lot of potential. He’s young and was impressive in the Queensland Premier competition as the leading try scorer,” Sampson said.

“It’s a great opportunity for the younger players to play a game like this against a quality national team.”

Changes to the team that played against Malaysia Valke in the final match of the Global Rapid Rugby Showcase Series on Friday 9 August are;
In: Andrew Ready, Grason Makara, Johan Bardoul, Chris Alcock, Kitione Ratu, Bryon Ralston, Markus Vanzati.
Out: Feleti Kaitu’u, Jeremy Thrush, Rod Davies, Rodney Iona, Chris Miller, Leon Feke, Ollie Callan.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/youngsters-called-up-for-world-cup-challenge/

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ikale Tahi squad named to take on Western Force
Eleanor Gee - 23 August 2019 – Matangi Tonga Online

‘Ikale Tahi coach, Toutai Kefu has named the final squad to take on the Western Force at Teufaiva Stadium on 24 August.
The team were put through their paces in their last training session this morning before the game tomorrow and, according to Toutai, they are looking really good.

“This is the fifth week we’ve been together. That’s the most [time] I’ve ever had the team so the training today was really good. Usually we’re always finished by the fourth week and then we have six months off and then come back together again.”
He said over the next phase of training “we’re going to make some huge improvements”.

The plan for tomorrow’s game, according to Toutai, is “stick with what we’re strong at”.
“I think we see some advantages in the set piece and size so we’ll be direct and physical.”
“We’ve already picked 15 [players] and then we’ll have everyone on the bench so we can just have rolling subs if we need it.”

The game tomorrow is also a chance for Tongans to see their national team in action before the Rugby World Cup.
Fly-half, Kurt Morath, who has played for Tonga in the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cups, said he is excited to be here.
“It’s exciting. For me this will be my first game in Tonga. So, it’s something that I’ve always wanted to achieve to play in Tonga. So, it’s very exciting and it’s a good chance for the boys who have been training hard to put it out onto the field and see where we’re at.”

There are a few spots left on the team that Toutai still has to fill before the World Cup and he is on the lookout for potential players.
“Yeah, there’s probably two spots that’s still undecided.”
He said he would also consider local players. “Yes definitely. Never say never.”

A curtain raiser match will also take place between the Tongan Barbarians vs President’s XV at 1pm, featuring prominent players such as Nili Latu, George Smith and Hosea Saumaki.

‘Ikale Tahi team:
  1. Siegfried Fisi'ihoi (Bay of Plenty, Chiefs, Stade Français, Tonga) (5 Tests)
  2. Sefo Sakalia (5 Tests)
  3. Ma'afu Fia (Highlanders, Manawatu, Ospreys, Tonga)
  4. Dan Faleafa (17 Tests)
  5. Sam Lousi (Waratahs, Wellington, Hurricanes, Scarlets)
  6. Maama Vaipulu (Counties Manukau, Chiefs, Castres) (4 Tests)
  7. Zane Kapeli (Bay of Plenty, Waikato, Tonga)
  8. Steve Mafi (Castres, Force, Greater Sydney Rams, Leicester Tigers, Tonga) (28 Tests)
  9. Leon Fukofuka (Auckland, Crusaders) (2 Tests)
  10. James Faiva (1 Test)
  11. Viliami Lolohea (Sunwolves, Tasman, Tonga) (3 Tests)
  12. Latiume Fosita (Auckland, Counties Manukau, Northland, Tonga) (27 Tests)
  13. Malietoa Hingano (France, Japan)
  14. Nafi Tu'itavake (Crusaders, North Harbour, Northampton Saints, Tonga) (11 Tests)
  15. ‘Atieli Pakalani (Auckland, Rams, Leicester Tigers Waratahs, Country Eagles, Tonga) (3 Tests)
Coach: Toutai Kefu

https://matangitonga.to/2019/08/23/ikale-tahi-squad-named-take-western-force

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Saumaki!!!!!! Is he doing it for fun, I hope he gets a call up to Tonga now that WR (World Rugby) have decided he can't play for Japan. Guy is a BEAST

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Having watched a bit of the Pacific Nations tournament, Tonga is the worst conditioned international team I have ever seen. They are so fat and slow. The Japanese team ran circles around them. They are going to get slaughtered in the tournament..

Totally agree. I saw a couple of props running along, couldn't believe it when I saw they were wearing number 12 & 13 jerseys