• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
After years of munted unbalanced back rows we finally field one that compliments and works off each other allowing ourseven to do more of his key duties. And you idiots want to change it because one of the players isn't..... (insert stupid reason here eg 'He's not a six.') What a bunch of morons.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
After years of munted unbalanced back rows we finally field one that compliments and works off each other allowing ourseven to do more of his key duties. And you idiots want to change it because one of the players isn't... (insert stupid reason here eg 'He's not a six.') What a bunch of morons.

That's rugby in Australia unfortunately. I'm sure it has ever been thus (well maybe not when we were actually winning)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
After years of munted unbalanced back rows we finally field one that compliments and works off each other allowing ourseven to do more of his key duties. And you idiots want to change it because one of the players isn't... (insert stupid reason here eg 'He's not a six.') What a bunch of morons.
Or try another player that complements the other backrow options like Jones?

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has been horrid. There is no point denying that through fear of the pooper being reinstated.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
6 is definitely a glaring issue. no one stands out who can run the ball up the guts, tackle, take a line out and win the breakdown.
hard to fathom having pocock back and in form and not starting. he's a beast.

Good to see experiment Hanigan has ended. doesn't seem to be anyone upset over that but tough that the two forwards with the most mongrel (mcmahon and fardy) can't be selected.

other positions which worry me are
not sure what the answer is here. DHP has been poor form. Hodge too aside from a game, but he has a boot I'd think you want in the team. Beale can go either way at a moment's notice and hasn't stood up on the big occasion in awhile from memory. Folau would be nice......

JOC (James O'Connor) seemed good there and TK needs to be there for cover.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Not true - we want a balanced backrow and we don't have that with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6. He's not dynamic enough and while the lineout benefits, the ruck and our cover defence suffers. There have been multiple examples of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) getting skinned out wide or being out of position for turnover scramble defence because he's just not dynamic/fast enough.

With Naisirani at 8, we finally have a good ball running 8 who can jump - the 6 being several metres tall is not crucial anymore.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a perfect option for the bench role - he's best suited to second row but he can cover 6 if required = you get to start a more dynamic 6 who can put a bit more pressure on the breakdown, such as Valetini/Jones/(Dempsey if healthy).

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not true - we want a balanced backrow and we don't have that with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6. He's not dynamic enough and while the lineout benefits, the ruck and our cover defence suffers. There have been multiple examples of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) getting skinned out wide or being out of position for turnover scramble defence because he's just not dynamic/fast enough.

With Naisirani at 8, we finally have a good ball running 8 who can jump - the 6 being several metres tall is not crucial anymore.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a perfect option for the bench role - he's best suited to second row but he can cover 6 if required = you get to start a more dynamic 6 who can put a bit more pressure on the breakdown, such as Valetini/Jones/(Dempsey if healthy).
Look I usually don't buy into this one player better than another stuff but today is a slow one. This simply isn't true. He doesn't need to be tall? Bullshit. He's not dynamic enough? he's plenty dynamic enough. We had Fardy with two short backrowers. How did our lineout go then? Are the two guys you want in the side short and at the brumbies? You bet!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

So do we now judge "6s" by their ability to not be skinned on the outside by Bridge? That would limit our options to ................................................ no one

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What are you going to do at blindside?

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) really is not up to this level. Sorry. He shows odd glimpses but when it gets nasty and tight he is nowhere to be found. That is EXACTLY the time your blindside should come into their own. Look at all the great blindsides over the years. Finegan, Kaino. Tom Wood, Juan Smit. Immovable objects in the tight when the chips were down, link between forwards and backs when the game loosens up. this is why I would start Pocock with Hooper immediately when he's fit. Screw height. Work out the lineout. A good coach will figure it out.

It's going to be Brutal against the likes of Wales at the breakdown. This is where they WILL attack you guys. What they did to Ireland in the final 6N games this year was incredible. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be a liability in that battle.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What are you going to do at blindside?

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) really is not up to this level. Sorry. He shows odd glimpses but when it gets nasty and tight he is nowhere to be found. That is EXACTLY the time your blindside should come into their own. Look at all the great blindsides over the years. Finegan, Kaino. Tom Wood, Juan Smit. Immovable objects in the tight when the chips were down, link between forwards and backs when the game loosens up. this is why I would start Pocock with Hooper immediately when he's fit. Screw height. Work out the lineout. A good coach will figure it out.

It's going to be Brutal against the likes of Wales at the breakdown. This is where they WILL attack you guys. What they did to Ireland in the final 6N games this year was incredible. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be a liability in that battle.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Jones are the best we have.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
My argument is that a fit Pocock is better.

And Jones hasn't even been tried by Cheika which defies belief.

Of the two I always though Jones had more potential.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
My argument is that a fit Pocock is better.

And Jones hasn't even been tried by Cheika which defies belief.

Of the two I always though Jones had more potential.
Jones got game time, he just made no impact at all. Pocock has been out so long it hard to say how he'll perform. His age would not help. Frankly I wouldn't take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.