• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Well, this is what I had hoped for. Best bit was I was having dinner with a pom mate, with the TV on silent, so just watching it while talking. England seem to still be on One-day mode, they need to leave balls.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wow. The Chariot has blown 2 wheels, and the horses are dead.
Now, as long as we don't get rolled for 80.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hmmm. Still think this game is up for grabs. Unless we get a big lead, you have to think this pitch will flatten out some. Chasing might be easier than we hope.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, Warner has been Broad's bunny this series though. We just need to hold out and get a good lead. Either way, England will have a few days to chase, unless we really drag it out and bat for rest of today, and all tomorrow.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Some real lack of technique on display today from both teams. Last 2 Aussie wickets were weak shots from Harris and Khawaja.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lyon went wicketless in the Poms' first innings. Look out for revenge when they bat again.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Wow What a night. Great bowling by the Aussies. Hazlewood and co left teh Poms for dead. Warner catching was bloody good. Good lead and if we can push that out to 350 or so it will be our game to lose.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I reckon we only need another 50 to put the game out of sight (in the context of a low scoring contest). Marnus again showed his mettle out there. I think we're starting to see what the selectors saw in him, even though his first class record has been pretty modest. He's a bloke with a pretty solid technique and most importantly a good temperament for test cricket. I'd love for him to push on from here and make a hundred. I also like how he pushes for the singles and rotates the strike, that's important.

What can you say about the quicks yesterday, they were as ruthless as we'd hoped.

Let's push on and put it beyond doubt boys.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great to see some clever intimidating fast bowling.

The boys were magnificent (and yet again covered for the batsmen).

Some of the shot selection from both sides was absolutely woeful and lack of footwork never more apparent. What the hell was Wade thinking?

England fielding atrocious whereas we've improved massively.

Surely we cannot carry Paine forever. He looks completely at sea ; case in point that bloody review?? Utterly perplexing. With the urn in hand time to move him on quietly.

Khawaja & Wade will probably owe their continued careers to the 3 quicks if we win from here (which we should). Having said that, it looks like batting is getting easier.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Paine will retire at the end of the Ashes I reckon. A winning captain who took the job over at the hardest time since AB in 1984. He's done a fantastic job.

Alex Carey will came straight as keeper. No idea who captain will be. I'm old school and can't quite get my head around a bowler as skipper

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Head is the anointed future captain. I think Paine will hold on until Head is ready or until Smith’s ban is over and Smith can take the reigns till Head is prepared.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think Smithy should be captain again. I reckon the job got to him and even though he performed with the bat, it weighed on him in the decision making stakes.
I agree, just let him bat in the nets all he wants without all the worry of tactics, media obligations, off-field functions. He may be a useful stop gap for 6 months to a year though.