• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There's a delightful article over on cricinfo about the path to selection of Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson for their first test together, especially the length of time it's taken since their respective debuts. Read here: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27447525/australia-find-ashes-gold-end-pace-rainbow

They're a formidable attacking unit, one of the best in recent times. And that's without any input from, arguably, our top fast bowler ATM. The tour selectors have been insistent they're picking horses for courses, but I, for one, totally agree with Kerry O'Keeffe the pace attack should always include a left-armer if possible. One thing Starc could do is leave a worn patch outside of off stump for Lyon to aim at. The thought of an even better pace battery from Australia must surely concern the Pommy batsmen. To date the selectors have done an excellent job with the bowlers; however, I hope they don't pick either Cummins or Pattinson for one test too many, they do have extensive records of physical ailments. If Starc gets a start in the remaining two tests, as I think he should, whom to drop/leave out/rotate would be a job for Solomon.

This is a good Australian side with the potential to be a very, very good one. The only concern must be the top order batsmen: we simply must cobble together an opening pair who can last for a minimum of an hour. And Khawaja has to start putting together some productive innings. I've got a soft spot for Uzzie, he's a lovely batsman to watch and he did take on a lot of responsibility in Warner's absence. However, that stint opening has left a question mark over his best spot in the batting order. After filling in when the team needed someone to step up I think he should be afforded the benefit of batting where it suits him best.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I read that too, Lindo, and enjoyed it. The bowling attack we have now has the potential to be as good as the one from the early-2000's (McGrath, Dizzy, Lee, Warne) and similarly has the variety and wicket taking potency of that quartet.

The top order definitely needs some work and Marnus is part of the solution. He can bat at three, with Smith at four.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Very much on the mark Lindo. I think the omission of Starc has been a glaring error in the last couple of tests. He and Lyon should be considered as a combination. Lyon, like most spinners, will benefit from having footprints to bowl into, but the only one consistently bowling around the wicket has been Broad but he bowls so wide of the crease that the footprints have been of no benefit.

I also think Starc is mostly one of the three best fast bowlers but importantly offers a point of difference and variety that will trouble most batsmen. My only issue with him right now is that I think he thrives on constant bowling and after a break like the current one he is more likely to be spraying the ball around a bit when he comes back in, especially if given a swinging new ball first up.

You might be able to correct me about Khawaja, but it is my impression that he regularly fails to fire away from Aussie. Is this correct? Horses for courses might indicate that he should be limited to test matches at home? On the batting front, we are missing the likes of Kurtis Patterson and Joe Burns, both of whom had excellent test match form before the tour. Marcus Harris also appears to have a weakness outside off stump to spin. How often is he bowled or caught behind off spin? Surely a coach worth his salt would have been able to correct this aspect before now? I am not a fan of Langer as coach or selector I have to say.

On the bright side, how good has Labuschagne been since his call up. He, too, should have been in the side from the very beginning.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We're in big trouble here. Can't believe the combo of the track flattening out and how badly we've bowled this morning with the new ball.

Yep. And Stokes and Bairstow have the firepower to take this away from Aus very quickly. 2 quick wickets or we're stuffed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
How the actual fuck do you lose a test match from that position. That is among the biggest chokes I've seen in all my days of watching cricket.

Absolutely fucking useless.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Absolutely brainless cricket in the last hour from Aus. Poor captaincy, and absolutely senseless bowling from Pattinson and Cummins especially. That's before the idiotic review by Paine, the shit decision by Wilson on the plumb LBW, and hey, no review left! Oh, and the fumble by Lyon.
That said............
Stokes was absolutely magnificent. What an innings. Take nothing away from that. England deserved the win.
But Australia bottled that Test in so many ways, they should be very red-faced.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It would be churlish of me to say anything other than "congratulations, well played" to any Pommy hereabouts.

It's a funny old game cricket. I reckon scoring that 67 in their first innings won the game for England: it allowed them to bat their second innings in by far the best conditions on that pitch as it hardened up in this unusually hot Pommy weather. Their chances of surviving on a fifth day pitch would've always been problematical.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Well Done Stokes - Very good innings and won the game for the POM's DIdnt watch it but looks as if we didn't turn up today. Poor decisions when under pressure. On to Old Trafford.