• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
WOW.

Hats off to our little kiwi cousin.

Just goes to show that we need a proper cricket captain. That said surely some wise old heads should've been saying hey skip you sure you want these fields?

Can't blame the bowlers (much), they put us in a match winning position, the batsmen here shoulder most of the blame for not delivering.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
WOW.

Hats off to our little kiwi cousin.

Just goes to show that we need a proper cricket captain. That said surely some wise old heads should've been saying hey skip you sure you want these fields?

Can't blame the bowlers (much), they put us in a match winning position, the batsmen here shoulder most of the blame for not delivering.

Yep absolute clutch player Stokes. Shoo-in for cricketer of the year now. Jammy bugger though, ball off the bat for four in the WC and big Joel giving him not out.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Amazing game. I can only imagine how good it would have been to watch the full four days as a Pom. And Stokes? To put in the bowling shifts that he did, at around 140km/h to the point of exhaustion, then build an innings with the bat like that? Herculean.

Hopefully Smith has to deal with a short ball barrage in the tour match and comes through with flying colours.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Amazing test. Incredible performance by Stokes. Between this and the WOrld CUp Final, that are two massive innings in hugely high pressure situations

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah Starc in now and Smith obviously back in. I'd be dropping Ussie and putting Marnus at 3.

Hard to drop Harris after only one test but scores of 8 and 19 and a critical dropped catch late in the day don't do him any favours. I reckon it is 50/50 between him and Khawaja.

Other option is ditching Wade and pushing Marnus and Head down a spot.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I don't think Harris is quite good enough at test level (yet). That was a tough catch he dropped though.

Man when I think about all the ways we could have won that game last night and didn't. FAAAAAAARK!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah I don't think Harris is quite good enough at test level (yet). That was a tough catch he dropped though.

Man when I think about all the ways we could have won that game last night and didn't. FAAAAAAARK!
I can’t remember the last time I was so emotionally affected by a sporting match. I’ve just been cycling through all the shit we did wrong. Maybe I’m so used to the Wallabies losing it doesn’t hurt anymore.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I totally hear that UTG. I went to bed pretty fired up, to say the least.

I think the team can come back from this. Langer will be telling them to have some perspective on the game and not dwell on how they lost it. This series could end up being up there with 2005 for drama though.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I tell you what though, as disappointed as I was we lost, I was pretty happy with how it finished. The whole day was up in the balance. So many opportunities lost.

But onto the next one.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Theory: English cricket punditry runs in an emotional parallel to English Brexit political commentary. One moment they're fucked and the world is falling in and England are rubbish; the next:

With Ben Stokes leading the way, nothing can stop England now: Vaughn.

Smudge will return, stare down the inevitable barrage of bouncers, notch another century and lead us to victory.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Theory: English cricket punditry runs in an emotional parallel to English Brexit political commentary. One moment they're fucked and the world is falling in and England are rubbish; the next:

With Ben Stokes leading the way, nothing can stop England now: Vaughn.

Listening to Nasser Hussain cry during our thrashing of them in the CWC pool game was pure joy.

Now the pricks are on the up again? Jeez can we put them away next time?

Marnus for Head.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
A dominant rugby win over the Irish, historic victory in the Ashes following a world cup, all in the same summer. If those gammon pricks win the Ashes series and the rugby world cup I think I'll actually vomit.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A dominant rugby win over the Irish, historic victory in the Ashes following a world cup, all in the same summer. If those gammon pricks win the Ashes series and the rugby world cup I think I'll actually vomit.
Was talking about this with a mate this morning, scary prospect.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Watched the hour-long highlights package this afternoon. Would've been a hard watch as either a Strayan or Ringinland fan but as a neutral it was just about perfect. Paine will be having nightmares over "that" review, likewise Lyon re: the missed runout.

Reactions: Tex

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Think Smith in is huge, think he is essentially co-captain with Paine sitting at 1st slip. Paine acknowledged that he is useless with DRS but that review for Cummins was next level useless, would imagine Smith would have advised against.

Unfortunately we can't drop the captain mid series as Carey definitely is more deserving of his place. So think Ussie out and Smith in, potentially Starc in for Pattison.

Good thing is its a 9 days plus a tour match in between tests for the guys to move on (plus Joel Wilson isn't umpiring more matches). Just need two draws or one more win.