• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Touching the Void is amazing. Saw that at the cinema.

I'll check out that Down to Nothing one you've posted above.

I got halfway through The Dawn Wall last night. Certainly enjoyable so far and pretty relaxing relative to Free Solo.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not a tv show & I've seen it plenty of times but Drugstore Cowboy is one damn fine piece of cinema to be watching on payTV between footy games with a beer or four onboard.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Both are great films and not quite as butt-clenching as Free Solo, although there's a few scary scenes in Meru. Can't quite fathom how these people camp on portaledges high above the void.

I've watched both now. Probably enjoyed The Dawn Wall the most. The climbing in that was phenomenal.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Finally watching Chernobyl and loving it. Great score, great acting, very tense viewing. I'm going old school and watching an episode a week which stretches it out but keeps it fresh. I actually like the use of English actors who retain their accents. I guess they could have hired Russians to do the job but this is the next best thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually like the use of English actors who retain their accents. I guess they could have hired Russians to do the job but this is the next best thing.

I still haven't watched it but have been amused by people complaining about this.

Either you get Russian actors and they speak in Russian and you subtitle it or you get English actors as they did speaking English with their normal accents.

The most inauthentic thing would be having the whole show with people speaking English with Russian accents which would make no sense at all.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Immediately I think of Leonardo di Caprio mangling a Rhodesian accent in Blood Diamond.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The remade Thunderbirds TV series is a disappointing piece of shit.

No, I'm not a child, and yes, I know the show is not intended for me, but as someone with the mental age of 6-year old I am eminently qualified to state that the new Thunderbirds remake is a turgid 0/10. Naturally, as a small boy in the 1970's I had a raging pindick stiffy for the original tv show so of course I am biased.

As you'd expect, the remake has eschewed the 1960's Team America-style puppets with the visible wires that everyone had a laugh about back in the day. "You can SEE the fucken wires, lol, this is so stupid and tinpot." Yep. Until the Team America film made it pisstake cool again. The T-birds remake, with its new animation technology whizz bang blurring around at attention disorder hyperspeed, does nothing to differentiate itself from the spamspew of identical bollocks on Cartoon Network. No, I don't watch Cartoon Network but stfu i'm not finsihed yet

The OG Thunderbirds with its shitty puppets and crappily flying toys pottering about at snail-like speed took its sweet motherfucking time to get from A to B. Like a great athlete, or great musician, the best ones look like they have all the time in the world. I have just brilliantly transposed this theoriii to the 1960's and 2019 Thunderbirds tv series. The great ones don't have to rush, it just comes to them. Think wooden pilots taking 30 seconds to slide down to their Thunderbirds rockets housed in rad-looking underground lairs as the music soared. The child is enthralled and most importantly left to soak it all in and imagine themselves doing it. Puppets sitting around inertly like cadavery plonkers allowed you the child time to wallow in the scenery, imagining themselves there in the scene, which Thunderbird character they'd be, Brains, or Virgil or whatever.

These marionetted 33rpm-paced interactions in a 45rpm world were the micro-semantic cavities that housed the germination chambers facilitating ignition sequence spark to the childs imagination. Yes, thats a contender for wankiest sentence in internet history but nevermind that now because holy crap I want a Thunderbirds toy so I can reenact that takeoff shit.

The new Thunderbirds leaves zero time for imagination, they just bulldoze the flashing lights and transformery wallop and stream of shitty hero dialogue directly into the kids brain. Micro-semantic spaces with soaring string music ready to kindle the fire of imagination are doused by the need to rush fast-as-fuck to the next action blur and spoonfeed the whole lot into a smartphoned 7-year old boy's brain lest after 5 seconds the wee lad's mind gets left to its own devices and gets bored and oh shit click

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The remade Thunderbirds TV series is a disappointing piece of shit.

No, I'm not a child, and yes, I know the show is not intended for me, but as someone with the mental age of 6-year old I am eminently qualified to state that the new Thunderbirds remake is a turgid 0/10. Naturally, as a small boy in the 1970's I had a raging pindick stiffy for the original tv show so of course I am biased.

As you'd expect, the remake has eschewed the 1960's Team America-style puppets with the visible wires that everyone had a laugh about back in the day. "You can SEE the fucken wires, lol, this is so stupid and tinpot." Yep. Until the Team America film made it pisstake cool again. The T-birds remake, with its new animation technology whizz bang blurring around at attention disorder hyperspeed, does nothing to differentiate itself from the spamspew of identical bollocks on Cartoon Network. No, I don't watch Cartoon Network but stfu i'm not finsihed yet

The OG Thunderbirds with its shitty puppets and crappily flying toys pottering about at snail-like speed took its sweet motherfucking time to get from A to B. Like a great athlete, or great musician, the best ones look like they have all the time in the world. I have just brilliantly transposed this theoriii to the 1960's and 2019 Thunderbirds tv series. The great ones don't have to rush, it just comes to them. Think wooden pilots taking 30 seconds to slide down to their Thunderbirds rockets housed in rad-looking underground lairs as the music soared. The child is enthralled and most importantly left to soak it all in and imagine themselves doing it. Puppets sitting around inertly like cadavery plonkers allowed you the child time to wallow in the scenery, imagining themselves there in the scene, which Thunderbird character they'd be, Brains, or Virgil or whatever.

These marionetted 33rpm-paced interactions in a 45rpm world were the micro-semantic cavities that housed the germination chambers facilitating ignition sequence spark to the childs imagination. Yes, thats a contender for wankiest sentence in internet history but nevermind that now because holy crap I want a Thunderbirds toy so I can reenact that takeoff shit.

The new Thunderbirds leaves zero time for imagination, they just bulldoze the flashing lights and transformery wallop and stream of shitty hero dialogue directly into the kids brain. Micro-semantic spaces with soaring string music ready to kindle the fire of imagination are doused by the need to rush fast-as-fuck to the next action blur and spoonfeed the whole lot into a smartphoned 7-year old boy's brain lest after 5 seconds the wee lad's mind gets left to its own devices and gets bored and oh shit click

Oh fuck me I love some Thunderbirds. Don't care too much about any remakes, when there's still 30 hours of great original show to re-watch.

A couple years ago, I picked up some nanoblocks (think lego that people excuse by saying it's for adults) in a work kris kringle. Decided to build it the next day and watch some TB re-runs at the same time. The girlfriend came home to find me cross-legged in front of the tv watching Thunderbirds, building a model lego space station. She's still convinced I'm firmly on the spectrum.

But everything about Thunderbirds is brilliant, from the design to the launch sequences and the whack inventions. That retro-futurism is great. The hydrofoils and all the all the hyper modernist architecture, where the buildings are curved with the smallest supports. Like the lounge above the pool that Thunderbird 3 takes off through. Yeah I watched them a lot.

Parker was and still is a complete creep though. Also the puppets are surprisingly big, up to your hips or something.

Sadly, all my toys are long gone, I think I once had the entire Tracey island with fkn flip down palm trees and everything. Okay maybe my girlfriend is right.

Also I have the entire Stingray collection on VHS. Slightly sexier (puppets dude, wtf) underwater version of Thunderbirds.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
i only had the Thunderbirds 2 toy.

968347-thunderbirds.jpg
Rad.

6f344829a01d8d14929b862055936c56.jpg
Lame.

Parker was the driver? Think I read he is doing the voice for the remake. Dude is 91-years old. GET A LIFE BUDDY.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The remade Thunderbirds TV series is a disappointing piece of shit
Posty posty post

You know if you watch the original Thunderbirds on Youtube, you don't see the strings. Bam. Problem solved.

Also, I don't remember Thunderbird 3 docking with Thunderbird 5 being so Freudian. Or Thunderbird 2 making me want to do a poo.

Anyway, back to watching The Good Place behind my other half's back.

nbc-the-good-place-basic-l4pTj6EUhKRklNh4Y

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Succession.

Bugger me, how good is this.

"Billions" has the rich backstabbing bastards but at least they have the brilliante financialle minds. In Succession it's just an unremitting parade of utterly, utterly dreadful shitheads. They make the bastards in Billions look like Mother Teresa. After she just fell down the stairs. After she just fell down all of the stairs in heaven. All of the stairs leading all the way from heaven down to hell. Where ALL of these people in "Succession" have a pre-booking. It's just a deluge of hilariously-deluded sibling megashits falling over themselves to take over Daddy's empire. And they are ALL fuckign useless at anything to do with anything, ESPECIALLY business.

10/10.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
DP, you omitted the sly shagging among the "deluge of hilariously-deluded sibling megashits falling over themselves to take over Daddy's empire."

I quite enjoyed it. I'll bet Rupert and all the other Murdochs didn't.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
DP, you omitted the sly shagging among the "deluge of hilariously-deluded sibling megashits falling over themselves to take over Daddy's empire."

I quite enjoyed it. I'll bet Rupert and all the other Murdochs didn't.

Watched 2 eps so far - does it get better? Bit, I don't know, slow thus far.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
up to e5, pacing seems fine to me, largely thanks to the spicy language and torrid torrent of belittlements. I see Will Ferrall listed as exec producer, wonder if he had a part in the barrage of salty, salty insults

Succession.jpg

*spoilers*

left to right:

neurotic son. a wiener inside a wiener. Although he does seem to have some business acumen his revolting charachter just renders him an object of feeble hatred. Particularly from his father who sees right the fuck thru him

youngest son. I like how he demands to be COO despite having zero interest AT ALL in anything related to business. So gets COO gig, walks into office, looks at computer for 3 seconds, bored immediately, lies on floor, bored, so pulls the blinds and proceeds to stimulate himself to issue against the window pane.

dad. falling the fuck apart. whether or not his new hispanic goldigger wife, who the kids all obviously hate, is going to fuck the whole lot of them up the arse, is the key intrigue of the series i reckon

daughter. deadshit. unclear why she wants to marry that ghastly wanker who treats gangly ol dimwit "Greg" like he's just wings to be pulled off a bug

other son. total bipolar nutjob. thick as pigshit and a terrible human. rooting a teenager who hates him

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
HBO's Watchmen is great. Written by Damon Lindelof, same bloke who did LOST and the much better The Leftovers. Similarly a big mind fuck just with more blue dicks.

Also on HBO, but done mainly by BBC, His Dark Materials. An adaptation of the Phillip Pullman books from the '90s. Two episodes out so far, but enjoying it. got James McAvoy and Ruth Wilson from the Affair (also good tv).