• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2020

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
2019-08-10_4-47-14.jpg

Western Force

Global Rapid Rugby

RugbyWA

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'll add here the confirmed signings for 2020 as they are announced.....

Head Coach/Attack Coach: Tim Sampson
Forwards Coach: Van Humphries
Defence Coach: Nick Hensley (Nthn Suburbs/Randwick)

Dom Hardman - Prop (West Scarborough)
Victor Harris - Prop (Joondalup Bros/Force Academy)
Chris Heiberg - Prop
Kieran Longbottom - Prop
Tom Sheminant - Prop
Angus Wagner - Prop (ex Brumbies)
Feleti Kaitu’u- Hooker
Andrew Ready - Hooker
Heath Tessman - Hooker
Ben Grant - Lock
Jackson Pugh - Lock (Palmyra/Force Academy)
Jeremy Thrush - Lock
Fergus Lee-Warner - Lock/Back Row
Johan Bardoul - Back Row/Lock
Tevin Ferris - Back Row
Chris Alcock- Back Row
Ollie Callan - Back Row (Wanneroo/Force Academy)
Brynard Stander - Back Row
Henry Stowers - Back Row/Centre
Jacob Abel - S/H (Sydney Rays/Gordon/Easts)
Rory O'Sullivan - S/H (UWA)
Ian Prior - S/H (Captain)
AJ Alatimu - FH/Centre
Nick Jooste- Centre/FH/FB
Marcel Brache - Centre
Pama Fou - Centre (Aust 7s)
Henry Taefu - Centre
Grason Makara - Centre (Waneroo/WA Senior Academy)
Brad Lacey- Utility Back
Jordan Luke - Wing (Norths/Bris City)
Byron Ralston - Wing (Reds Academy/Jnr Wallabies U20s/Brothers)
Jonah Placid - Utility Back/Full Back
Jack McGregor - FH/Full Back
Jake Strachan - FH/FB/Utility Back

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They’ll be up there. But their squad is likely to be weaker than last year.

The only thing going to them is cohesion but I suspect all teams will have that going for them this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They have been playing to at least one of the law variations surrounding kicks in general play too, Reg. That could be an advantage. Not so much in making the kicks but in adapting a game plan that takes advantage of the opportunities presented by modifications in defensive patterns.I fully expect Andrew Deegan to show his worth in the NRC and to have fun turning other teams around or putting his support runners through holes.

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
If having a player in the US Eagles, 3 to play for Samoa, another to Aus Seven squad, an under 20s player to Tahs and another with a scholarship from RUPA as weaker, then yes. To me it proves more the success that the GRR is starting to glean. The Force are concentrating on making sure all those other local players are getting a pathway and making up for the setback and damage to WA with being cut, with a mix of older experienced heads to lead the way. The NRC is a chance for the inclusion younger less experienced talent to get a go, which I thought was the whole point of NRC?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If having a player in the US Eagles, 3 to play for Samoa, another to Aus Seven squad, an under 20s player to Tahs and another with a scholarship from RUPA as weaker, then yes. To me it proves more the success that the GRR is starting to glean. The Force are concentrating on making sure all those other local players are getting a pathway and making up for the setback and damage to WA with being cut, with a mix of older experienced heads to lead the way. The NRC is a chance for the inclusion younger less experienced talent to get a go, which I thought was the whole point of NRC?

absolutley. My comment was in response to another's around their chances in the NRC.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thanks, ForceFan. Great to have a 2020 thread - now that home and away Rapid is confirmed.

absolutley. My comment was in response to another's around their chances in the NRC.
Probably helps to see the squads first. I reckon you underrated Fiji last year, Reg, and, if anything, overhyped the Force (assuming you weren't on the troll).

My predictions were, of course, spot on. :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks, ForceFan. Great to have a 2020 thread - now that home and away Rapid is confirmed.

Probably helps to see the squads first. I reckon you underrated Fiji last year, Reg, and, if anything, overhyped the Force (assuming you weren't on the troll).

My predictions were, of course, spot on. :)

Underrated Fiji? I tipped them and the Force as favourites

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
\ The Force are concentrating on making sure all those other local players are getting a pathway and making up for the setback and damage to WA with being cut, with a mix of older experienced heads to lead the way. The NRC is a chance for the inclusion younger less experienced talent to get a go, which I thought was the whole point of NRC?

Couldn't agree more.
Listened to Matt Hodgson at a Q&A before the Valke game comment that when looking to fill a squad vacancy the WF first turn to local club rugby.
The Western Force team against Malaysia Valke had 10 locally produced players in the extended 26 man squad:
Contracted Players: Tom Sheminant, Tevin Ferris, Carlo Tizzano, Nick Jooste and Ben Grant
Club Players: Jackson Pugh, Chris Miller, Leone Felke, Ollie Callan and Dom Hardman.

With no professional team in Perth the only pathway was prepare yourself for the eventual move East.
Well done Andrew Forrest/Minderoo.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Captain commits to Force and family

August 17, 2019

Western Force captain Ian Prior has given his full endorsement to Global Rapid Rugby and the upward trajectory of elite rugby throughout the Asia Pacific region after rejecting interest from Europe to re-sign with the club for the 2020 season.
Leadership and silky skills are a combination in high demand when it comes to guiding a team around the rugby field, so it was no surprise more than a few clubs were interested in prying Prior away from WA.

In signing his new deal the 28-year-old scrumhalf will extend his time in the west to the seventh season and is excited about what the future holds as the Force enters a new rugby frontier.
“I believe in what we are doing as a team and as a competition. I enjoy being part of the Rapid Rugby revolution,” Prior said.
“It will be really exciting to do the home and away travel next year, explore new countries and take the product of rugby to places where it hasn’t really been before. That is really exciting to be part of as a player.”

Advancing the positive trickle-down effect of a strong professional rugby set-up in Perth was also high on Prior’s list.
“Working together to achieve a thriving rugby programme in WA is something I enjoy getting out of bed and contributing towards every day,” he said.
“I came through the club system myself, so knowing that the grassroots are strong and that there is a pathway for kids if they want to play professional rugby is very important.”

As a new Dad, off-field factors were also a key part of the equation. And while the life of a professional athlete comes with the understanding that moves can happen at any moment, in weighing up his options with wife Lizzy the pair continually came back to the strong roots they’ve made in WA.

“Ian has played at a few other teams and I have never felt more at home than I do here in Perth with this squad,” Lizzie said.
“I think even more so with Rapid Rugby now.
“It’s been really special getting to engage with the fans that I would not normally have gotten to meet, I get to see them at every game and have conversations with them. They met Riley, ask about how Scout (the couple’s dog) is doing.
“It is such a big and strong community now, not just the partners and players, it is beyond that now,” Lizzy said.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/captain-commits-to-force-and-family/

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Was bound to happen. I thought Deegan played very well on the weekend. Iona was born in Melbourne so that makes sense.