• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The guy would be on great money playing for one of the best clubs in the world.

Why would he come back for a pay cut with the unknown of a new Wobs coach who may not be interested in playing him?

I’d be disappointed if the Waratahs don’t consider themselves one of the best clubs in the world.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I’d be disappointed if the Waratahs don’t consider themselves one of the best clubs in the world.

In reality we ain't, no aus side is, we no longer are near that. The only SH side I would put in that category would be the Crusaders

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I am not too concerned about Skelton, I personally always found him lazy however I am sure he has improved, besides some players are better suited to other competitions/environments.

For instance I always thought Nemali Nadolo was someone who could have been great for the Tahs/Wallabies but the more I thought about it the more I realised that he had his chances and didn't really take them, it took him a few years playing OS to finally reach his potential, the Tahs was probably the wrong environment for him.

Same with Ben Volavola actually, I always thought he would be the next 10 for the Tahs,

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Too be honest, I don't see any genuine second rower coming through the Tahs at the moment that would even remotely challenge Skelton for a jersey.

I assume that it would be a decision that would involve the whole of our actual and potential Test players, not just the Tahs (unless he is willing to come without an RA top up). That means in my simple world that he would have to be in the top eight or so locks in the nation. With some of the young guns on the way up (who can all jump in the lineout, unlike Skelton) why would he be wanted for our Test side?

He is good for Saffacens because they have one of the best jumpers in the world in their ranks.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I am not too concerned about Skelton, I personally always found him lazy however I am sure he has improved, besides some players are better suited to other competitions/environments.

For instance I always thought Nemali Nadolo was someone who could have been great for the Tahs/Wallabies but the more I thought about it the more I realised that he had his chances and didn't really take them, it took him a few years playing OS to finally reach his potential, the Tahs was probably the wrong environment for him.

Same with Ben Volavola actually, I always thought he would be the next 10 for the Tahs,

Really good post. A lot of people forget that players like Nadolo, Volavola and Skelton had plenty of opportunity at the Tahs and didn't take their opportunities. And Skelton was lazy and unfit, by his own admission - you couldnt even throw to him in the lineout as he was too heavy and not agile enough to jump which is a waste of a lock.

The bigger question however is why cant the Tahs develop these guys and others who have gone on to bigger and better things? I was talking to a recently retired (unnamed) ex-Wallaby the other day who grew up in Sydney but went on to have a career at the Brumbies. He was offered contracts at the Tahs and the Brumbies as a colt and when he was deciding between them he went and spoke to a lot of Tahs players whom he knew for their opinion on which contract he should accept. The interesting thing is the players universally told him to go to the Brumbies because it would be better for his rugby and the culture wasnt good at the Tahs.

B

Bobby Sands

A team that hasn't won the competition they play in for 15 years and are struggling to get 5,000 people to a game are one of the best clubs in the world?

Seems reasonable.

On output yes.

This is the merry go round of “what constitutes a world class player/club” that I have no interest in.

I do know however that the Brumbies fans never boo their own players, which is a good start.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On output yes.

This is the merry go round of “what constitutes a world class player/club” that I have no interest in.

I do know however that the Brumbies fans never boo their own players, which is a good start.

No one has tried to argue that the Waratahs are one of the best clubs in the world.

I think it's pretty clear that the Brumbies are the best Australian side both now and particularly historically (by a long way). None of the Australian sides are remotely close to being one of the best clubs in World Rugby though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really good post. A lot of people forget that players like Nadolo, Volavola and Skelton had plenty of opportunity at the Tahs and didn't take their opportunities. And Skelton was lazy and unfit, by his own admission - you couldnt even throw to him in the lineout as he was too heavy and not agile enough to jump which is a waste of a lock.

The bigger question however is why cant the Tahs develop these guys and others who have gone on to bigger and better things? I was talking to a recently retired (unnamed) ex-Wallaby the other day who grew up in Sydney but went on to have a career at the Brumbies. He was offered contracts at the Tahs and the Brumbies as a colt and when he was deciding between them he went and spoke to a lot of Tahs players whom he knew for their opinion on which contract he should accept. The interesting thing is the players universally told him to go to the Brumbies because it would be better for his rugby and the culture wasnt good at the Tahs.

Yes something wrong in Tah land as when you see a lot of young NSW talent prefer to head to the Brumbies it tells you something.

I wonder if we need a clean out at NSWRU executive level....yes something not right in Tah land and with NSWRU but where the problems lie I don't know - but responsibility and accountability certainly rests at the the top...

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I believe that Tah recruitment has been on hold until Head Coach is appointed. That must be less then ideal considering the time of year. Surely they have a Head of Rugby or a List Manager etc that could step in.