• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Reg. Are these teams being trimmed before Champs? From memory they could only take 25 players last year.

all I have is this:

Queensland Rugby Union today announced the playing squads and coaching staff for both the Brisbane City and Queensland Country U19s, ahead of the second annual U19s National Rugby Championship.

The 30-man squads have been selected following the culmination of the 2019 Queensland Premier Rugby season, with players selected having represented their clubs in either Colts 1 or First Grade (Hospital Challenge Cup) throughout the year.

Recently named U19s player of the year Josh Flook has been selected for Brisbane City, while Fred Fewtrell who was a standout for Easts in First Grade throughout the Premier Rugby season will feature for Queensland Country.

Grant Anderson (Bond) will return as Queensland Country U19s head coach for a second year, alongside his assistants Nick Fogarty (GPS) and James McLaren (Sunnybank).

Pat Byron (Brisbane SHS) has taken over the Brisbane City U19s reigns, and will be supported by Kelevi Tuicolo (Brothers) and Daryl McNamara (Wests).

With both Country and City contesting the inaugural final last year, City claiming the title with a 40-7 win, the two sides are hungry to build again in 2019.

“We’re looking forward to the opportunity that this year’s competition provides,” said City head coach Byron.

“We’ve seen a number of players progress through the program last year onto higher honours. Isaac Lucas obviously made his Super Rugby debut this year and now he is in the senior Brisbane City squad for the NRC alongside fellow graduates Rhys van Nek and Phoenix Hunt.

“This is a great step in the development pathway of these players and I’m looking forward to seeing what future talent we can unearth from this year’s crop of players.”

Country head coach Anderson reiterated Byron’s thoughts.

“We’ve seen a number of players from last year’s squads go on and play in Queensland Premier Rugby this season and the competition obviously benefited the Junior Wallabies’ preparations for the World U20s Championships,” said Anderson.

“I’m really happy with the group we have together in Country, we have a good mix of second year players and fresh faces.

“Souths obviously ran a good Colts program this year, taking out both the Colts 1 and Colts 2 titles, and selections reflect their success so I’m looking forward to seeing those players seize their opportunity.”

S

Sgt Slaughter

2019 Colts 1 Table
1st Souths
2nd Brothers
3rd UQ
4th Sunnybank
5th West
6th East
7th Bond
8th GPS
9th Norths

URC Player Table
1st Souths - 11
2nd Sunnybank - 9
3rd Brothers - 8
4th Bond - 7
5th UQ - 7
6th West - 6
7th East - 4
8th GPS - 3
9th Norths - 3

Winners would have to be Sunnybank, Bond - Losers would have to be UQ and possibly Brothers.

Thoughts?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
2019 Colts 1 Table
1st Souths
2nd Brothers
3rd UQ
4th Sunnybank
5th West
6th East
7th Bond
8th GPS
9th Norths

URC Player Table
1st Souths - 11
2nd Sunnybank - 9
3rd Brothers - 8
4th Bond - 7
5th UQ - 7
6th West - 6
7th East - 4
8th GPS - 3
9th Norths - 3

Winners would have to be Sunnybank, Bond - Losers would have to be UQ and possibly Brothers.

Thoughts?

Nah, Bond are the real winners after underperforming this season.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair to say the Souths boys will be pissed off after the Brothers kid got two weeks for the head high in the GF and the Souths boy got 4 for taking the guy out in the air two weeks before.

It is not very consistent given both acts we reckless and dangerous. One could have caused serious injury and one did cause serious injury.

It certainly feeds into the perception that Brothers get off lightly at the judiciary.

Reminds me of 2017 when Souths and Brothers get in an on field fight next to the Souths bench in Colts 1- Two Souths boys joined from the bench after an injured brothers player (in plain clothes and running the tee) ran on and landed a few hay makers. Souths players got 3 weeks; brothers player 2 weeks...... go figure...

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
2019 Colts 1 Table
1st Souths
2nd Brothers
3rd UQ
4th Sunnybank
5th West
6th East
7th Bond
8th GPS
9th Norths

URC Player Table
1st Souths - 11
2nd Sunnybank - 9
3rd Brothers - 8
4th Bond - 7
5th UQ - 7
6th West - 6
7th East - 4
8th GPS - 3
9th Norths - 3

Thoughts?

You obviously have an opinion on who should have been picked put your selectors hat on and pick a 15 who did not make it.

I will have a crack at it later

But it hard to argue that Bond did very well when the country coach is from Bond they finished 6th in colts one 4 games out of finals and runners up in Colts 2 with a team with lots of colts 1 boys in it. Conflict of interest anyone

S

Sgt Slaughter

Nah, Bond are the real winners after underperforming this season.

Bond looked good on paper at the start of the year filled with GPS superstars of 2018, but struggled with the physicality of Colts 1 footy in my opinion - first game they were defeated by 50points with all 7 of their URC players on the field.

Either way congrats to all the lads that made the squads

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Big difference between a GPS season and 3 trials plus 16 games plus finals plus in many boys cases benching either reserve grade or prem grade

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree the large selections of the Bond Uni players based on the team's and individual performances by the Bond Uni?Queensland Country coach is a huge conflict of interest.
Why is this BS continually allowed to happen. Who is checking this process? Similarly, a number of the City selections are very questionable. UQ and Brothers in particular have been ripped off. It is beyond comprehension that Mosiah Christian (UQ half-back) was not selected for example. I could also add Nathan Beil, Fin Hume, Will Wigan, Aiden Latter to that list from UQ. George Tarabay, Rem Sawtell from Brothers, Braydn Croft from Souths.

Seems schoolboy reputations still count. Give me a break!

You obviously have an opinion on who should have been picked put your selectors hat on and pick a 15 who did not make it.

I will have a crack at it later

But it hard to argue that Bond did very well when the country coach is from Bond they finished 6th in colts one 4 games out of finals and runners up in Colts 2 with a team with lots of colts 1 boys in it. Conflict of interest anyone

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
I agree the large selections of the Bond Uni players based on the team's and individual performances by the Bond Uni?Queensland Country coach is a huge conflict of interest.
Why is this BS continually allowed to happen. Who is checking this process? Similarly, a number of the City selections are very questionable. UQ and Brothers in particular have been ripped off. It is beyond comprehension that Mosiah Christian (UQ half-back) was not selected for example. I could also add Nathan Beil, Fin Hume, Will Wigan, Aiden Latter to that list from UQ. George Tarabay, Rem Sawtell from Brothers, Braydn Croft from Souths.

Seems schoolboy reputations still count. Give me a break!

Agree on the Schoolboy reputations just use the eye test
Wests should also consider themselves fortunate if you have 6 players at that level in a 9 team comp you should be a bit better than an 8 and 8 team

Here is my view on who should feel unlucky
From
Souths Colts 2 front row Kennedy, Lauder and Bingham "Dominated the Bond team that all got picked" second best front row in the comp, Croft outplayed Brothers ten twice in finals, Caleb Brown, The other loosie who did not get picked.
Brothers a couple probably fiar one or two are doing other things
UQ Christian the Halfback, Hill the centre Played some Prem grade and another of the Loose forwards
Sunnybank Huddy but I heard he is injured after a strong start

Wests with 6 won lotto based on the eyetest
Easts Probably fair to above average
Bond with 7 Won Powerball
GPS about 2 to many
Norhts TBH probably fair the guys who got picked were in such a poor team at the end that they could not have done anything.d

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Agree on the Schoolboy reputations just use the eye test
Wests should also consider themselves fortunate if you have 6 players at that level in a 9 team comp you should be a bit better than an 8 and 8 team

Here is my view on who should feel unlucky
From
Souths Colts 2 front row Kennedy, Lauder and Bingham "Dominated the Bond team that all got picked" second best front row in the comp, Croft outplayed Brothers ten twice in finals, Caleb Brown, The other loosie who did not get picked.
Brothers a couple probably fiar one or two are doing other things
UQ Christian the Halfback, Hill the centre Played some Prem grade and another of the Loose forwards
Sunnybank Huddy but I heard he is injured after a strong start

Wests with 6 won lotto based on the eyetest
Easts Probably fair to above average
Bond with 7 Won Powerball
GPS about 2 to many
Norhts TBH probably fair the guys who got picked were in such a poor team at the end that they could not have done anything.d

You might need to take your Lauries hat off this is senior footy.

To say that the Souths colts 2 front row should have been in there is blasphemy. All three are good players and could potentially play elsewhere but not deserving of being in these teams. In regards to Croft, how many games did he actually play in colts 1? Don’t get me wrong, I agree he outplayed Pappin especially in the final when Pappin’s catch pass severely let him down but again don’t think he could have been picked (although I believe he’s better than our 10 Hogan).

Out of the UQ boys, Christian was definitely stiff to miss out and I thought he’d likely be in there but I guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Both Jeeps players should have made it (Downes and Tuquiri) and are definitely good enough for this level

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
You might need to take your Lauries hat off this is senior footy.

To say that the Souths colts 2 front row should have been in there is blasphemy. All three are good players and could potentially play elsewhere but not deserving of being in these teams. In regards to Croft, how many games did he actually play in colts 1? Don’t get me wrong, I agree he outplayed Pappin especially in the final when Pappin’s catch pass severely let him down but again don’t think he could have been picked (although I believe he’s better than our 10 Hogan).

Out of the UQ boys, Christian was definitely stiff to miss out and I thought he’d likely be in there but I guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Both Jeeps players should have made it (Downes and Tuquiri) and are definitely good enough for this level

So your argument is that only Colts 1 players should be looked at by that metric you are exactly basing your selections not on what you see but by the reputation.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
There was a player who only started in around half a dozen Colts 1 games last year (because of injuries to the normal starters) and balance in Colts 2 who was then selected in 2018 URC and subsequently into Junior Wallabies squad until final cut going into Oceania Champs

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
If its the boy I'm thinking of, I see he's made the URC squad again this year and after playing a full year of Colts 1 he'll be better for it.
Good luck to him, I hope he goes one step further.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Which boys from this years colts group should we expect to potentially see at next years JWC

Hardly any based on last year. Only Van Nek and Lucas (who was a late inclusion) were selected from the two Qld URC teams who were both Grand Finalists. Then out of regular Colts players (more than 3 games) only Joe Cotton was the other inclusion.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Hardly any based on last year. Only Van Nek and Lucas (who was a late inclusion) were selected from the two Qld URC teams who were both Grand Finalists. Then out of regular Colts players (more than 3 games) only Joe Cotton was the other inclusion.

Any player who qualifies for the U20's currently playing in the NRC in their respective positions would be ahead of the equivalent URC lad. Hooker and front row in general still an issue, so I expect a few more this year.....hopefully

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
What’s happening with Ralston. Is he signed with the Force? Is Kibble eligible?
I think Ralston, Flook, Creighton and Roach may be called in the initial squad. Looking at the numbers in the initial squad from last year, there will be a few. That was ridiculous.