• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Francis I am very intrigued about. Former league 'schoolboy super star'.

Spent time with the Brumbies (or at least the Vikings)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Core Squad:
1. Hoopert, Smith
2. Mafi, Amosa
3. Thor, Smith
Utility - Fotuaika

Wider Training squad:
1. Francis *
2. Farrell
3. Nasser

Sounds good to me

Also, could someone please clarify for me? Our squad announcement of 34 is complete, but we only have 29 names in the Core Squad and 5 in the WTS (Farrell, Nasser, Wood, Kibble, Gordon).

In 2018 you were allowed 30 in the core squad. Does this mean a spot is still open?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Continuing on with the squad discussion... I'm happy with what they've done after some initial hesitation regarding them announcing the squad before a game of NRC. They obviously believe those players will perform at super level and I think they are right. The backrow is littered with talent and agree with plenty here that it is going to be hard to keep them all and the younger talent coming through. Having chatted to ASY (Angus Scott-Young) a couple times as well as people who have coached him he appears to be a genuine leader with real passion for qld rugby. I hope he continues to develop other aspects of his game as his workrate, ruck involvements and defense is impressive.

10 was probably the only big question mark for me but I think if hegerty is given more time in the saddle there he will continue to improve... especially with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and potentially Lucas or stewart at fullback. Campbell can also ball play so there are plenty of options to assist whoever is at 10.

CFS was immense in 2018 before he for injured and would love for him to get back to that form. Kind of hoping Jordan doesn't go to the rwc so he can get his body sorted for what will hopefully be a long and impressive career.

A couple people have touched on Korczyk, I have to say that I've been disappointed that he hasn't developed at the next level as much as many thought he would however if anyone saw the qpr finals series you can see why he picked up a higher level contract. He was immense. Absolutely belted anything which came near him and most of his tackles were dominant. I suspect he and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) were seen as like for like. I wish him the best as he has the frame to be a very solid 6.

Nothing but excitement about our tight 5.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
We should be trying to sign Isaac Fines.

Better than Moses & Maloula will be ineligible soon.

Sorry who?

I’ve head the name just don’t know the resume? Is he a qpr player? (I don’t recall where from) if so not even the best halfback getting around in QPR. Least over on the qpr forum the hot names everyone talk about are Wall & Dillon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry who?

I’ve head the name just don’t know the resume? Is he a qpr player? (I don’t recall where from) if so not even the best halfback getting around in QPR. Least over on the qpr forum the hot names everyone talk about are Wall & Dillon.

Issak Fines-Leleiwasa.

He was QPR player of the year in 2016 and most recently was with the Western Force.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Ah yes that’s why I heard the name..

Sorry pls continue. Yes this would be a upgrade on the QPR names I suggested:

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
OK, with my revolutionary change if focus for the Reds here is the team I want to see. Unfortunately I've had to add some backs.

1, Hoopert
2, Mafi
3, Tupou
4, Rodda
5, Hockings
6, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7, Wright
8, ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
9 McDermott - Someone has to pass to the other forward runners
10, Wood
11, Uru
12, McRight
13, Willson
14, Kibble
15, Stewart - only as a former backrower

16, BPA
17, Smith
18, Smith
19, Blythe
20, Blythe
21, Lucas - tough as nails
22, CFS - Would suit the style of play I'm after
23, Petaia - Big body and ........... Petaia

I've only picked from the squad but could look as loosing some backs (dead weight) and replacing them with Gicquel, Lynch or any other Premier grade backrower.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Not missing much with the centre combination there Jets.

Fraser runs like a 12 and Harry very familiar with standing in the centres, like most 6/8's he thinks he is really a 13. :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This doesn't seem like it will help the QRU in contract negotiations unless players start to walk away from that manager. More likely it will just slow down negotiations.

I haven't read the article but this is Kerevi's agent right? I think he also represents Izack Rodda. Not sure if he represents any of the other Reds players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This doesn't seem like it will help the QRU in contract negotiations unless players start to walk away from that manager. More likely it will just slow down negotiations.

I haven't read the article but this is Kerevi's agent right? I think he also represents Izack Rodda. Not sure if he represents any of the other Reds players.

It mentions he represents CFS, Hockings and a couple of other Qld players...........

But the article also goes on to, rather disingenuously, suggest that Picone is responsible for Genia, Gill, Magnay and Pasitoa, who he also represents, heading elsewhere.

B

Bobby Sands

I wouldn't call that growing a set.... toys out of the cot maybe?

I don't think denying a player's agent being involved in representing their clients during negotiations is a good move.

I back the Reds here, a similar situation is happening in the NRL where Isaac Moses has burned his bridges with both Newcastle and the Roosters.

These player agents are absurdly powerful, and it sounds like this bloke single-handedly has been playing chess with Australian/QLD players for a while.

The Kerevi deal is without precedent (I have been saying this for a while). It seems an incredibly bizarre outcome to have reached given a myriad of factors including form, his age and the Folau contract being terminated.

If the Reds don't feel that he is dealing with them in good faith, then why should they continue to deal with him?