• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently Siddle and Starc still uncertain. Hopefully they unleash Starc. It's time after a good performance in the last tour match. Now is not the time to die wondering.

Hopefully. The Moaning Herald seem to think that now Marsh isn't in the mix, Starc is less likely.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Warner skating on very thin ice now. I've never really rated the bloke as a test cricketer, but especially away. He's a classic flat track bully. You'd almost reserve him for home tests on our roads only.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep, pity Marnus copped one of Overton’s only good balls all day. 170-3 on a rain affected day is not too bad even better when you consider Smith is still there.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Warner skating on very thin ice now. I've never really rated the bloke as a test cricketer, but especially away. He's a classic flat track bully. You'd almost reserve him for home tests on our roads only.

It seems to have been forgotten that this idea was gaining momentum before the Cape Town Incident.

Fundamentally, Australian selectors have not gotten over the loss of Matthew Hayden, and have long failed to understand that a big hitting, fast scoring opener is a luxury that can only be afforded by a team with a reliable innings builder at the other end, and a rock solid middle order. We have neither of those things, and haven't for a number of years. On the road, Warner is - at best - a test number six.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
overseas at the moment and cant watch. great ball to remove Marcus - poor showing by Harris and warner.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Warner has a great record at home and in South Africa. Everywhere else it is poor.

Khawaja is even worse away from home but does have a great record in Australia.

We've missed a trick by not having Joe Burns in the squad. Hard to see why they thought Bancroft and Harris would be more successful.

It's the overall quality of the players the level below that is the issue in my view. I don't believe that we've had a significantly better opener than Warner waiting in the wings. Whenever Australian cricket has been dominant globally we've had a bunch of guys averaging over 50 at first class level who can't make the team. That simply hasn't been the case in the last 5 or so years.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
overseas at the moment and cant watch. great ball to remove Marcus - poor showing by Harris and warner.

If you're using a phone or tablet, try smartcric (it doesn't operate on a PC). They almost always have a good, reliable stream; I watched the last Ashes in the Netherlands, Germany, and Austria.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
RE: The Warner issue, I think he has changed his batting style in his year off. Even at the world cup his strike rate and aggression were down. Now in the tests he is trying to bat in a more controlled manner. I think someone needs to tell him its not working and go back to trying to tonk everything to the rope.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It’s just getting absurd watching Smith bat. Another 100, wtf. Bookies were paying $3 for him to get over 50. Surely this is what it was like watching Bradman bat.

In another news, the rest of our middle order shat the bed as usual. Need to get 320 at least.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
For a guy that was close to losing his spot Wade really had a massive brain fade with that shot, hopefully Paine can get a 50 and support Smith. Should be aiming for 400 from here. Tomorrow is rubbish weather according to forecasts.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

Smith now averaging 64.64 & a staggering 93.64 in first innings.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27544115/steven-smith-scores-third-ashes-200

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Smudge is a run machine, and, he's given everyone else a 112 day head start, and he's back to World No. 1 batsman after three tests, and he's the leading run scorer for 2019 after only 4 innings.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
We've run out of superlatives to capture Smith. I think it's probably best to sit back and watch a once in a generation talent.

He's a bit like a kelpie. Incredible talent, built on unnerving focus and strange behavioural tics