• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2019

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^ no. I'm saying TGC will play his top XV v Fiji & Wales after resting as many as practicable v Samoa. AB don't have that option, if the top guys don't play this week they go up v SA having not played in about a month.

EDIT: Erasmus seems to be taking a similar approach:

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff
Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Francois Louw, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Jesse Kriel

With all due respect to Japan esp after 2015, he doesn't need to wheel out all that heavy artillery, he's doing it for the same reasons as Shag is & TGC isn't.

OK, I get why NZ and SA are wheeling out the big guns due to the need for game time before playing each other, but I still don't see why the same logic shouldn't apply to the Wallabies. It will be a month, or more, between games for the Wallabies' starting side too and then they come in against Fiji. This could be a game that absolutely bites them on the bum if they're not match ready. What am I missing?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Makes perfect sense to play the first team now one last time, with guys on the bench that you want to test in different combinations. (like centres in the Boks' case)

Why would Cheika rest anyone now? They have had plenty rest and have another 2 weeks to rest.

Seems really dumb.

And then the plays LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the second strong team. Why? WTF? Why not give someone else a chance to see if they can produce.

This is right up there with some of the weirdest sh*t Cheika has come up with.

And a backup guy at 15 :) Oh man.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, I get why NZ and SA are wheeling out the big guns due to the need for game time before playing each other, but I still don't see why the same logic shouldn't apply to the Wallabies. It will be a month, or more, between games for the Wallabies' starting side too and then they come in against Fiji. This could be a game that absolutely bites them on the bum if they're not match ready. What am I missing?

So you reckon TGC should run his top XV v Samoa, Fiji & Wales then rest them v Uruguay? Do they then rest again v Georgia & come back for a QF v England, France or Argentina, or do they play Georgia, QF, SF, Final if they make it i.e. blocks of three & four with 2 x one-week breaks?

I know you're one of TGC's biggest critics on here & oftentimes I'll agree with you but if he were to actually do that I think you'd be front & centre of those saying he's lost his mind.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
30 degrees and 100% humidity, fuck playing rugby in that shit. I can't even put my pants on when it's over 28. Fairly tight match, SA not having it all their own way but JPN's islander back 3 shaky as shit under high ball so of course SA sense blood and go Morne Steyn on their arses.

Haha, that huge island winger Moeekalia who shat the bed for the Chiefs in soup rugby has turned up playing for Japan. And he's having another howler. All-Airport XV.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, finally.

Japan had the Brighton game on repeat in the Boks hotel. The 3 wifi hotspots called Brighton 1, Brighton 2 and Brighton 3.

Don't think that did them any favours.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a nice spring day in the 'tron. Rained overnight but the sun's out & should stay out all day. Probably 15 or 16C mid-afternoon & maybe a very light breeze.

Both teams have been out & about during the week & I'm reliably informed AB came close to losing a player who was so engrossed in his phone he tried crossing Victoria St without checking for traffic. I won't name him but let's just say he'll need to be more careful when he relocates to Auckland. As my witness to the near-calamity noted, imagine running down an AB less than a month before a RWC! Poor woman would've had to take refuge on Pitcairn.

Anyway, bokke have set the standard so anything less than a 40+ AB victory is likely to be regarded as a bit of a fail.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's a nice spring day in the 'tron. Rained overnight but the sun's out & should stay out all day. Probably 15 or 16C mid-afternoon & maybe a very light breeze.

Both teams have been out & about during the week & I'm reliably informed AB came close to losing a player who was so engrossed in his phone he tried crossing Victoria St without checking for traffic. I won't name him but let's just say he'll need to be more careful when he relocates to Auckland. As my witness to the near-calamity noted, imagine running down an AB less than a month before a RWC! Poor woman would've had to take refuge on Pitcairn.

Anyway, bokke have set the standard so anything less than a 40+ AB victory is likely to be regarded as a bit of a fail.
Okay, the Boks have a target now. They will target double that margin and set out to box kick their way to a 3 point victory.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
this Tongan team look seriously unfit. If NZ say fuck the RWC dry powder and unveil the need for speed RWC plan they could pile 40+ on in the last 20. Final score: 82-7.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So you reckon TGC should run his top XV v Samoa, Fiji & Wales then rest them v Uruguay? Do they then rest again v Georgia & come back for a QF v England, France or Argentina, or do they play Georgia, QF, SF, Final if they make it i.e. blocks of three & four with 2 x one-week breaks?

I know you're one of TGC's biggest critics on here & oftentimes I'll agree with you but if he were to actually do that I think you'd be front & centre of those saying he's lost his mind.

Yes, that's pretty much how I think they should be approaching Samoa and the early RWC games. Lose to Fiji, and the Cup might be over as early as the Wales game. The Wallabies need to be at full strength and peak fitness for Fiji and Wales, and that probably means a good many of the starters should be getting game time against Samoa. The rest of the Cup games can take care of themselves after wins against Fiji and Wales.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
NZ Babas vs Pacific Legends

Roy Kinikinilau and Rico Gear still got it.

The unsubbable King Carlos slightly dominating proceedings and not always in a beneficial way

Junior Polu still has the pass

Ofisa Tonu'u has perhaps swallowed a volleyball.

Bugger being an oldish legend and having to play against DJ Forbes. It's not like he's let himself go.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ hopefully it achieved the objective of raising awareness of and/ or money for fighting the non-communicable diseases like diabetes & heart disease that kill Pasifika at far higher rates than the general population.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sure I heard Nisbo & Smithy talking about the wind which must be very localized as I'm less than 2km away & it's dead calm here.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
lol I thought no less than FOUR of NZ's 1st half tries shouldve been pulled back. Read's knock-on, Reece's forward pass, the other one, then Todds hands in the ruck.

Not entirely sold on Bridge. He's only really not rogered up 1 of his numerous chances on attack.

Best part of half was Pat T bringing the pain

Neon orange boot laces have NO PLACE complementing a New Zealand Rugby Football All Blacks kit.

NO PLACE.

Lodging a formal complaint with the relevant authorities.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sincerely hope that B.Smith's running wild against a Tongan B team doesn't cancel out his three poor performances against top line Argentine, Australian and South African sides.