• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Ronald Reagan

Stan Wickham (3)
BBC Vs NC - Draw cant think who will win
ACGS VS TGS - ACGS by 10
BSHS Vs BGS - BSHS by 10
TSS Vs IGS - TSS by 30

Some big games in the 2nds this week with ACGS Vs TGS and BBC vs NC. ACGS, TGS & NC undefeated so far and BBC one loss I think.

BBC beat TGS 2’s 15-14 last weekend, they’ve also lost two games not 1, they lost to Terrace in round 2. 2nds comp is always pretty up in the air with everyone coming up and down from 1sts

SOSJBW

Peter Burge (5)
ACGS VS TGS - ACGS by 10
BSHS Vs BGS - BSHS by 10
TSS Vs IGS - TSS by 30

Some big games in the 2nds this week with ACGS Vs TGS and BBC vs NC. ACGS, TGS & NC undefeated so far and BBC one loss I think.

NC and ACGS are the ones that are undefeated.

A

Aussie Luke

My thoughts re the TSS v Ippy game are that TSS will be very nervous in the first half (like they were v Nudgee and BBC) and whilst Ippy will be playing for pride, they will be more relaxed, which I think will suit their slick back line play. They will be up at half time.

TSS will go to work in the second half and they should be able to over power Ippy in the second half, but if luck doesn't go their way, it might be a very interesting final 35 minutes.

I'll have both the Nudgee/BBC game and the Ippy/TSS game open on my screens, and I'm hoping the second halves in both teams are nail biting games.

Come on Ippy!

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
QRU excludes powerful player agent

12:00AM SEPTEMBER 4, 201922
Facebook
Twitter
Whatsapp
Email
The strained relationship between powerful player agent Anthony Picone and the Queensland Rugby Union has finally reached breaking point, with the QRU deciding to negotiate contracts directly with his players, excluding him from all talks.

The decision of Picone-managed Samu Kerevi to join Japanese club Suntory Sungoliaths on a three-year contract following the World Cup, a deal the QRU and Rugby Australia felt they had little opportunity to counter, is understood to have been the straw that broke the camel’s back.

The QRU and RA always believed that even as they were conducting talks with Picone about Kerevi’s intentions, the Sungoliaths somehow had a headstart on the Queensland captain’s services
You have got to be kidding??

One of the top players agents and they try and cut him out. If I was a talented player here in QLD, I would love to have him on my corner. No way the Reds care about players enough. They are heavily conflicted as their focus is, and has to be, on the Reds machine. We need a system where the agent is involved. How can a 18,19 or 20 year old be sure they are being fairly treated!!
QRU is apparently offering contracts far and wide for low number. Not to get them in the Ref, but to keep them from elsewhere. How is that good for rugby??

S

Sgt Slaughter

"Brad the agent called BS I think hes on to us, what shall we do"

"Tell him we will go to the players directly and rip them off that way"

"Great plan, very subtle no one will see it coming"

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The realities are :

1. A kid still at School doesn't need an Agent.

2. In 99% of cases an 18 or 19 year old playing Club who may be good enough to be playing Colts 1 to possibly 18 Academy to possibly U19 NRC doesn't need an Agent

Anything beyond that ? Depends on the individual and whether they want to broaden their horizon beyond their back yard and the role of true advocacy based representation seems like a fair enough proposition

It's this sleazy ego fuelled entry level type chicken hawking of Schoolboys and entry level pathway development that is rank and really needs overhauling

It's such a critical time in a young bloke's development ( and I am talking education / rest of life development and not Rugby ) and to have these cancerous pricks infiltrating Schools and Clubs at entry points and filling young blokes and their wood duck parents heads full of shit - that disrupts and interferes with vocational focus - just so that stock in trade can be built up in a numbers game stable for eventual low level flips , is disgusting

Morally and ethically bankrupt are words that come to mind

Sort of stunning that RUPA currently permit guardians to sign on behalf of their sons if they are under 18.

Beyond the agent stacking the stable in a game of Rugby Lotto , what exactly is anyone gaining from "signings" at this age/stage/level ?

Fuck all are also words that come to mind

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
The realities are :

2. In 99% of cases an 18 or 19 year old playing Club who may be good enough to be playing Colts 1 to possibly 18 Academy to possibly U19 NRC doesn't need an Agent

Anything beyond that ? Depends on the individual and whether they want to broaden their horizon beyond their back yard and the role of true advocacy based representation seems like a fair enough proposition

It's this sleazy ego fuelled entry level type chicken hawking of Schoolboys and entry level pathway development that is rank and really needs overhauling

It's such a critical time in a young bloke's development ( and I am talking education / rest of life development and not Rugby ) and to have these cancerous pricks infiltrating Schools and Clubs at entry points and filling young blokes and their wood duck parents heads full of shit - that disrupts and interferes with vocational focus - just so that stock in trade can be built up in a numbers game stable for eventual low level flips , is disgusting

Sort of stunning that RUPA currently permit guardians to sign on behalf of their sons if they are under 18.

Beyond the agent stacking the stable in a game of Rugby Lotto , what exactly is anyone gaining from "signings" at this age/stage/level ?

1. The boys have started getting agents as the Reds are chasing them now at age16!! Chicken and the eggs stuff.
2.A good agent, and there a few of them, gives the boy good guidance and points out all the options. Not all parents have the experience or knowledge to give this guidance.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The realities are :

Couldn’t agree more .

These young lads need a balanced outlook of life , not someone blowing wind up their arses and telling them how great it’s going to be .

How many Aussie Schoolboys have never made it to professional rugby?

Where are the agents when the wheels fall off and the black dog raises its head?

The young lads running around playing our game should not be treated as commodities , they are young , impressionable , developing human beings , not talent to be stacked for later use .

S

Sgt Slaughter

The realism is, professional teams are trying to lock in young players early - in that scenario you would be silly not to seek professional guidance from a player agent regardless of age.

Picone is one of the best in the game, don’t take my word for it look at his portfolio - Kerevi left because the ARU/QRU low balled his offer and then shagged around, I bet my house on it. You pay peanuts you get monkeys

S

Sgt Slaughter

The realities are :

If professional teams stop offering young superstars contracts maybe it will change - not sure why this is an agent problem, if you want to change the culture turn the tap off don’t blame the person selling the water.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Rugby is super unionised, thanks to RUPA. Unless the player is exceptional, JOC (James O'Connor), Quade etc, they are going to get the same contract. All they are doing is paying someone between 7-12% of their wage.

S

Sgt Slaughter

Rugby is super unionised, thanks to RUPA. Unless the player is exceptional, JOC (James O'Connor), Quade etc, they are going to get the same contract. All they are doing is paying someone between 7-12% of their wage.

Standard or not a contract is a contract that requires professional consultation, JOC (James O'Connor) and Quades probably not a good example - but I understand what you are saying still disagree but understand

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
ACGS VS TGS - ACGS by 10
BSHS Vs BGS - BSHS by 10
TSS Vs IGS - TSS by 30

Going for an upset: The Mountain men to beat the Swamp Dwellers in both Firsts and Seconds.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The reality is that by far the majority of contracts offered to school age players are nothing more than development contracts. They are very standard and like for like amongst franchises.

Being shopped around for a better deal at this stage and level does very little for your long term career or your reputation.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The reality is that by far the majority of contracts offered to school age players are nothing more than development contracts. They are very standard and like for like amongst franchises.

Being shopped around for a better deal at this stage and level does very little for your long term career or your reputation.

Also if you're living at home there is no need to move interstate for $5K more, you'll end up being worse off. Your manager may push for you to go so they can earn the extra $350.

S

Sgt Slaughter

It is obvious that you do not understand the role of an agent - agents assist players and their families to make an informed decision. If it is more beneficial to go somewhere else to develope whats wrong with that. We all know the QRU are mud at identifying talent.....move on

Jet ^^^ I’ve never heard of an agent doing that - but don’t get it twisted there are plenty of bad agents like there is good and bad plumbers, players/families have to do their home work as well.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
It is obvious that you do not understand the role of an agent - agents assist players and their families to make an informed decision. If it is more beneficial to go somewhere else to develope whats wrong with that. We all know the QRU are mud at identifying talent...move on
Seems dumb business to me to piss in the cheerios of the Reds and RA - and get blackballed. Would think by by extension , other franchises would follow suit . Not an issue , as reported , surrounding the 14 other agents the Reds deal with in what Wayne Smith referenced in his article .

So go ahead and bag the Reds talent ID . Are there not Junior pathway players represented by NSS in this mix ?

Granted they may not be as talented as related party “coaches” who run popular media puff pieces in playing a game of “build a star” and the dog and pony show that comes with it