• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just because a couple of young players (or possibly older players) think that an agent is purely acting in their best interests doesn’t mean it is true. Sport is littered with athletes who have been misled or poorly directed by their agent.

I’d be surprised if many young players didn’t just take what their agent said at face value.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He’s great. You should watch more of him.

I think the Force will be an elite academy for super sides until it gets back into super.

While that sounds rude, I think Twiggy will want to see steady promotion to other sides as benchmarking that the program is working.

How was Paisami ? ;-)

I think you are right and at least it means it keeps a pathway for WA rugby. Longer term yes you want Force back in a competition involving Reds, Tahs, Rebels, Brumbies (and perhaps even Western Sydney) but yes that is for another thread (where to for super rugby).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Managers also have a family to feed. That’s generally their focus rather than what might be best for the player, in a wholistic sense, long term.

And usually like with most business you don't cut your nose off despite your face convincing Samu to take 1 million overseas to 800 k here probably isn't that massive to his pay check, but keeping ARU and QLD happy and working with him over the long term is.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think you are right and at least it means it keeps a pathway for WA rugby. Longer term yes you want Force back in a competition involving Reds, Tahs, Rebels, Brumbies (and perhaps even Western Sydney) but yes that is for another thread (where to for super rugby).

I don't think there will be a Western Sydney team any time soon. They need to sort out a club team out there that works, outside of what the Two Blues are doing.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Genia and Cooper both took lucrative overseas contracts under Picone, only to get out of them to return home early didn’t they? Genia signed with the Force only to flip on them. Was that under Picone?
Magnays career has been set back quite significantly, he was in demand and could have earned a Wallaby cap. Now I think he will struggle to get a contract in 2020. That one season of obscurity in Japan has weakened his current and future bargaining potential essentially.

Interestingly Genia actually changed management companies not too long ago - I’m not sure whether it was prior to the Rebels signing him but he is definitely with a different manager now. As are some of the players currently being listed as under Picone.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Does anyone know if managers also get a signing fee for one of their players heading off to a new club/franchise?

I’m sure there are plenty of good managers that have their talent’s best interest at heart, but unfortunately they are not the ones getting media attention.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think there will be a Western Sydney team any time soon. They need to sort out a club team out there that works, outside of what the Two Blues are doing.
No chance.

There's a fancy new stadium to be used out there though.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting - if you go to instagram and find 'AFA' or Advisors for Athletes, he's posted as one of their clients. I believe this group is run by Anthony Faainga. They seem to be getting a few up and comers in the Brisbane scene.
Could be a client of both. A player agent and a financial planner

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Interesting - if you go to instagram and find 'AFA' or Advisors for Athletes, he's posted as one of their clients. I believe this group is run by Anthony Faainga. They seem to be getting a few up and comers in the Brisbane scene.

Anthony Fainga'a isn't involved, he actually back in Brisbane working in Business Development Officer at a mid-tier insurance firm, checked him out on linkedin

Mark Myers

Frank Row (1)
“I am a player’s agent,” said Picone. “I have a fiduciary duty to act in my player’s best interests, which I do without fear or favour. The QRU’s job is to make it an attractive proposition to choose to play with the Reds, which no doubt they do to the best of their ability.”

Is it really an agents fault if they act solely on behalf of the player? At the end of the day the player is presented all offers and signs the dotted line. Not sure agents are holding a gun to their head when they do so.

There is a-lot of talk about agents with their own agendas but I cant recall too many articles (possibly none) where players have come out and declared they were deceived and if they had the chance again they wouldn't take the lucrative deals on offer and give back their homes and families lifestyles in return for making the greater public feel better about themselves. Everyone is entitled to earn a living, if that living is on another continent and will possibly give them a life they only dreamed of so be it.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
There is heaps of articles related to manager-player issues, particularly in rugby league. I would think this conversation is more based around his relationship with Australian/Queensland Rugby and this possibly impacting his decision making (consciously or subconsciously) as well as the pre-contractual agreement Kerevi signed while not providing honesty to the other negotiating parties.

Players are entitled to do as they like and earn what they like. Transparency around the negotiations would at least allow the organisation to plan around this.

Regardless there is plenty of noise around this particular manager and their company, so clearly they are rubbing people up the wrong way.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is it really an agents fault if they act solely on behalf of the player? At the end of the day the player is presented all offers and signs the dotted line. Not sure agents are holding a gun to their head when they do so.

There is a-lot of talk about agents with their own agendas but I cant recall too many articles (possibly none) where players have come out and declared they were deceived and if they had the chance again they wouldn't take the lucrative deals on offer and give back their homes and families lifestyles in return for making the greater public feel better about themselves. Everyone is entitled to earn a living, if that living is on another continent and will possibly give them a life they only dreamed of so be it.
The issue is though whether agents are acting solely in the players interest or largely in their own.

A simple google search shows plenty of info on issues. One agent is currently in two legal disputes with former clients. There is an article which details who agents have significant incentive to pursue overseas contracts at the expense of local ones and there is a research article crossing multiple sports, including league, AFL, rugby and US sports which details conflict of interest problems arising where agents represent multiple players or players and coaches at a single club.

To be fair, it is not an issue isolated to player agents. Wherever remuneration systems are set up around sales performance or budget you will always have elements that chase the money.

This is not to say that plenty/most agents don’t do the right thing, or even that Piccone isn’t in the right here - I have no idea on the last point.

B

Bobby Sands

And usually like with most business you don't cut your nose off despite your face convincing Samu to take 1 million overseas to 800 k here probably isn't that massive to his pay check, but keeping ARU and QLD happy and working with him over the long term is.

Ahem, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Losing Kerevi at 25 is a tragedy to Oz rugby.

If it was done in a way that the Reds or the ARU did not get a genuine chance to compete for his services, its a tragedy of contract law and legal tender.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
You definitely get the feeling that is the case.

No doubt Kerevi cares deeply about the Reds, have heard he has mentioned his locker space is only on loan. He seems genuinely sad to leave, but he is leaving.

If the deal was done before the Reds/RA had a realistic chance to make a counter offer, then I’m all on to crucify the fuckers involved.

Of course we will probably never know .

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
You definitely get the feeling that is the case.

No doubt Kerevi cares deeply about the Reds, have heard he has mentioned his locker space is only on loan. He seems genuinely sad to leave, but he is leaving.

If the deal was done before the Reds/RA had a realistic chance to make a counter offer, then I’m all on to crucify the fuckers involved.

Of course we will probably never know .

The agent didn't force Kerevi to sign though did he? He had to make that decision himself, whatever the reasons, but to simply blame the agent and portray SK as having to do something that he would rather not do is incorrect IMO. He chose the money, which is understandable but shouldn't be portrayed as a victim.