• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Samoa, Sat 7th September, 7.30pm, Bankwest (Parra) Stadium

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Jack Dempsey >>>>>>>> LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Pete Samu >>>>>>>>>> LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)

If Dempsey doesn't leapfrog LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) into the starting 15:

Homer Simpson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cheika
I’ve been saying all along that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) reeks of a Johnson selection, not a Cheika one.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And therefore did very little benefit to the Wallabies' RWC program.
I wouldn’t say that. The players who needed a hit out got one, and those who didn’t need to be risked weren’t. Also, the fan base in the west got to see the action up close and personal. It was a worthwhile exercise all around I thought.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Poey hit multiple rucks, made many tackles, ran the ball in tight and acted as a link at other times with his outside runners. Made one pilfer that I recall. Not much more he could have done.

Liam Wright was very impressive in his short cameo. Also hit rucks and made his tackles. Made at least one pilfer and ran strongly. Also, tall enough to be a jumper at lineout time. Between them, a MOTM performance.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Dempsey did enough to surpass LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and hopefully starts against Fiji.

Disappointed in Bank's performance. Even as a vocal supporter of this, I'd say the selectors confirmed Beale is the right choice there.

I'm still worried about our basic skills and decision making. Even from our form players.

For example the Koro try, lots of people praising it as an 'individual try' - I'm sorry but against better defenders that any of the teir 1 nations have he doesn't score that try, he had the opportunity to pass to Banks but missed it.

So many pushed passes, really frustrating to watch. Just hold the gone damn ball and recycle.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wallabies started to lack respect for the opposition after 30mins or so, looked like they all thought it was going to be a 50pt win. Passes started to be pushed, patience was lost and they started to try and score off every play, and structures started to breakdown with the change in mentality.

Overall I don’t think anyone played bad, but there wasn’t any standout performances, Dempsey was probably the closest we had to it. It was still valuable as it gave people a run out that haven’t played much lately and more importantly we won which is always a positive.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
with such a make shift team, and coming after a supposedly grueling pre-WC campaign, it's hard to take much from the team performance. I did think the defensive patterns was pretty solid and the set piece looked pretty sharp, until it fell apart a bit in the second half (I'm going to chalk that up to fatigue). That's about it

I did however think that there were some positive individual performances. Koribete is looking twice the player he was 6 months ago. Dempsey probably reminded selectors that he should be in the frame for a spot in the 23.

Pocock looked great for a guy who's been on the sidelines for 6 months. His work at the breakdown, both in attack and defence was effective, and I suspect he'll be much better for the run.

I thought To'omua had a good game, as did DHP and Ulese.

I actually thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) played pretty well too. I know a lot of people, including myself have a question mark over his role in the side, but it's hard to deny that our lineout had been excellent this year, and his inclusion is at least part of that.

Against Fiji I'd probably start Hooper and Pocock because I don't think they have the set piece to take advantage of the lack of size. Against Wales I'm not so sure.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
i thought Dempsey, Uelese, To'omua, DHP, MK, Wright all had good games.

I would agree with that. To'omua had some ropey passes early, but got better and better as it went along and was really solid. DHP a big step up from earlier Test form.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
with such a make shift team, and coming after a supposedly grueling pre-WC campaign, it's hard to take much from the team performance. I did think the defensive patterns was pretty solid and the set piece looked pretty sharp, until it fell apart a bit in the second half (I'm going to chalk that up to fatigue). That's about it

I did however think that there were some positive individual performances. Koribete is looking twice the player he was 6 months ago. Dempsey probably reminded selectors that he should be in the frame for a spot in the 23.

Pocock looked great for a guy who's been on the sidelines for 6 months. His work at the breakdown, both in attack and defence was effective, and I suspect he'll be much better for the run.

I thought To'omua had a good game, as did DHP and Ulese.

I actually thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) played pretty well too. I know a lot of people, including myself have a question mark over his role in the side, but it's hard to deny that our lineout had been excellent this year, and his inclusion is at least part of that.

Against Fiji I'd probably start Hooper and Pocock because I don't think they have the set piece to take advantage of the lack of size. Against Wales I'm not so sure.

Pocock always just looks like he never had a break - straight back into it. Impressed to see his linking game is even better. The Samoans did well to keep him out of getting much action over the ball, but he just moved to another aspect and did well there. Coaching team would have been delighted with his work on return.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Normally I'm against the Pooper, but can see merit in this against Fiji, it would give Pocock more much needed game time too.

Although Dempsey probably earned himself the starting spot and offers more balance in the backrow.

Either way I'd be happy.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You can make an argument that with Isi at eight you could have have Pocock and Hooper on the paddock at the same time, but I still don't think it's the right option for 80 minutes and definitely not against all opposition.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m a big believer that in the modern era a 6 needs to be a jack of all trades. Needs to be someone that can bend the line, provide link play, lineout option and get their head over the ball. All without been the primary source for the team in each area, more of a support option if the game requires two people to be a pest at the breakdown or extra primary ball carrying is required beyond your 8. Dempsey is the most likely we have to this. He can also laterally cover space in defense better than some tall timber that might be preferred there.