• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Samu signed earlier in the year? And recently we have been signing everyone we want to keep?

Has there been a change at the Reds that is seeing players choose to stay? Management, coaching, culture? I have NFI.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If you’re Kerevi’s manager, you’re going to encourage him to take the highest salary he can because that provides the manager the biggest commission. Kerevis long term test ambitions might be a consideration, but there’s no guarantee that Kerevi will still want Picone as his manager In 2 or 3 years time.

What i do know is, Picones players have a history of farcical contract negotiations, it was never a straightforward process when Cooper or Genia were re-signing. Even Kerevi this time last year was ‘heading overseas’ but re-signed for another 12months. Kuridrani earlier this year was ‘apparently’ heading to the Reds.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It's hard to know exactly what went down, shame we're losing Samu, but if he wanted to stay in Queensland, there are opportunities.

All I can say is, if I was Samu or his manager, I would find it extremely difficult to believe that either the QRU or RA were financially able to meet the ball park figures I was getting from the Japanese. Both Australian institutions are bleeding money and don't appear to have any massive windfalls coming there way.

If Izzy wins the court case, what happens next? Can the RA afford to pay him + costs and the big time salaries?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Scott Maloula dislocated shoulder playing for Samoa, looked pretty serious. Reds may regret releasing Tuttle now

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I doubt it. Unless his shoulder is completely destroyed he should be back in preseason.

Looked pretty serious and not just the shoulder popping out. Shoulder doesn’t need to be completely destroyed for a Latarjet procedure which is pretty common in footy players. 5-6 month recovery time.

they’ll have their eye out to fill a development squad position with a halfback at least

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's hard to know exactly what went down, shame we're losing Samu, but if he wanted to stay in Queensland, there are opportunities.

All I can say is, if I was Samu or his manager, I would find it extremely difficult to believe that either the QRU or RA were financially able to meet the ball park figures I was getting from the Japanese. Both Australian institutions are bleeding money and don't appear to have any massive windfalls coming there way.

Reading between the lines - it seems as though the ARU/QRU were never told what they had to offer to beat the Japanese club and they feel like they weren't given to opportunity to meet it even if they wanted to.

If Izzy wins the court case, what happens next? Can the RA afford to pay him + costs and the big time salaries?
The ARU have $20m in the bank. They'll be able to cover things at least in the short/medium term.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

So what if you think the Reds/RA couldn’t match the offer already on the table , isn’t it the job a an agent to ask?

Not only that , but Samu was worth way more after the Super Rugby season, he was one of the best running around . What would he be worth with a dominant RWC behind him?

Do you really think what Izzy might do in the future affected the decision of Samu to sign ?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

RA took out 10mil insurance specifically in case they lose to folau. So a non issue there.

B

Bobby Sands

So what if you think the Reds/RA couldn’t match the offer already on the table , isn’t it the job a an agent to ask?

Not only that , but Samu was worth way more after the Super Rugby season, he was one of the best running around . What would he be worth with a dominant RWC behind him?

Do you really think what Izzy might do in the future affected the decision of Samu to sign ?

Yes, of course, undoubtedly.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Reading between the lines - it seems as though the ARU/QRU were never told what they had to offer to beat the Japanese club and they feel like they weren't given to opportunity to meet it even if they wanted to.

I'd imagine the contract saga was going on for months behind the scenes. Samu's agent would have said we can get way more elsewhere and told RA/QRU to pay more without naming a price. RA/QRU put a price to them, the agent received a higher offer from the Japanese and didn't put the offer back to RA/QRU to counter.

RA/QRU valued Samu at $ initially and the agent would have told Samu, here's your two offers. Did RA/QRU do any follow up to the agent or Samu or did they just let the clock tick?

Remember, the QRU are the same organisation who had to be sued by a previous coach who's given so much to the club just to get his contract paid out. It's hard to believe some of the things that come out of the backroom staff to be fair.

The agent did ask. He would have said, send me your offer on what you want to pay. RA/QRU did, they received a higher offer and took it. The RA/QRU got stung trying to underpay what the market is paying and it backfired. It happens all the time in the private sector, so are you so surprised?

Regarding Izzy, up until upthereds mentioned about RA taking out insurance, everything I had read indicated, that if Folau gets a decision favourable by the courts, that it could place RA into significant financial distress. Would you not think that would then have an impact on their ability to pay the 'mega' bucks to the 'superstars'?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The agent did ask. He would have said, send me your offer on what you want to pay. RA/QRU did, they received a higher offer and took it. The RA/QRU got stung trying to underpay what the market is paying and it backfired. It happens all the time in the private sector, so are you so surprised?

I think that's actually the issue, there are suggestions that a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Kerevi/Picone and Suntory before January this year, all the contract negotiations which took place after that between RA/QRU and Picone were really only in the circumstance that MOU for a deal with Suntory fell over. QRU/RA weren't informed a MOU had been signed and were negotiating a contract that was never really a chance of been signed and they feel mislead. This is time, and money which could have instead been invested in retaining or recruiting another player/s.

B

Bobby Sands

I think that's actually the issue, there are suggestions that a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Kerevi/Picone and Suntory before January this year, all the contract negotiations which took place after that between RA/QRU and Picone were really only in the circumstance that MOU for a deal with Suntory fell over. QRU/RA weren't informed a MOU had been signed and were negotiating a contract that was never really a chance of been signed and they feel mislead. This is time, and money which could have instead been invested in retaining or recruiting another player/s.

Yep, acting in such "poor faith" is endemic of an absolute grub.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Bobby Sands - I always enjoy reading your comments and your views on different players. I would ask that you consider whether you are posting on the match thread or the general discussion thread though.

B

Bobby Sands

Bobby Sands - I always enjoy reading your comments and your views on different players. I would ask that you consider whether you are posting on the match thread or the general discussion thread though.

Feel free to move it if you know how. I just wanted to link the old quote, and thought all these players are QLD contracted.

Not trying to cause clutter etc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep watched Stewart play 12 last year for QLD Country and it was the best game I had seen him play, today he demonstrated again why 12 may be his best position going forward. Hard running, solid tackler and a good distributor.

Carter Gordon did well today for his debut, looked a little nervous and would have liked to see him straighten up the attack with a few more runs, but for a kid on debut he did very well.

Isaac Lucas though was my pick of the 5/8s today, his passing and kicking was fantastic. He really has all the attributes to he a very good 5/8, the only thing which will hold him back will be his size but that didn’t seem to be an issue today.

B

Bobby Sands

Yep watched Stewart play 12 last year for QLD Country and it was the best game I had seen him play, today he demonstrated again why 12 may be his best position going forward. Hard running, solid tackler and a good distributor.

Carter Gordon did well today for his debut, looked a little nervous and would have liked to see him straighten up the attack with a few more runs, but for a kid on debut he did very well.

Isaac Lucas though was my pick of the 5/8s today, his passing and kicking was fantastic. He really has all the attributes to he a very good 5/8, the only thing which will hold him back will be his size but that didn’t seem to be an issue today.

Who was 10 that day if you remember? I didn't think he had played 12 before at NRC level last season.