• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Speaking to a few guys on the weekend and they said Elwee has been recruiting heavily for GPS, specifically looking at front rowers from other clubs, will be interesting if there are any big moves.

Does anyone have mail on where Elwee is supposedly going for his professional gig? Most of the guys I've spoken to are under the impression that he was staying.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Speaking to a few guys on the weekend and they said Elwee has been recruiting heavily for GPS, specifically looking at front rowers from other clubs, will be interesting if there are any big moves.

Does anyone have mail on where Elwee is supposedly going for his professional gig? Most of the guys I've spoken to are under the impression that he was staying.

Is someone retiring? Why would they be recruiting more front rowers when they’ve been the gold standard of scrimmaging for so long.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Is someone retiring? Why would they be recruiting more front rowers when they’ve been the gold standard of scrimmaging for so long.

I've heard Freddy Burke may be going overseas. There is a fair bit of money being pumped into the 'new' USA comp and Japanese second tier comps next year. I know the USA comp specifically is targeting younger fringe Prems players, so maybe Tuquiri and Polonga (spelling probably wrong) have been approached. I think it's the comp that Luke Beauchamp was playing in this year.

Regardless, aside from Burke and the Smith twins at finals time, GPS have had a fairly rotated group of props over the last 3-4 years. They just happen to always be pretty handy, so it makes sense they are trying to lure a few proven guys to the club and keep that standard.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
I’ve heard the same in regards to Elwee looking to recruit front rowers, hookers in particular as they might be a bit short in stocks, perhaps some solid reserve grade front rowers or even colts could be options for them

You would imagine that Maile N will be going somewhere as a pro next year so they will be very thin at hooker. Props are always in demand particularly the way GPS want to play. Tuquiri would be either Aus or Fij U20's next year so they wont see much of him. Good front rowers are in short supply and they will not be getting much from the colts program which has been poor for a couple of years.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Has anyone heard much in regards to the falling out of NewStar and the reds?

This was in the AQustralian a week or two ago I lifted it from the REDS 2020 thread

The strained relationship between powerful player agent Anthony Picone and the Queensland Rugby Union has finally reached breaking point, with the QRU deciding to negotiate contracts directly with his players, excluding him from all talks.

The decision of Picone-managed Samu Kerevi to join Japanese club Suntory Sungoliaths on a three-year contract following the World Cup, a deal the QRU and Rugby Australia felt they had little opportunity to counter, is understood to have been the straw that broke the camel’s back.
The QRU and RA always believed that even as they were conducting talks with Picone about Kerevi’s intentions, the Sungoliaths somehow had a headstart on the Queensland captain’s services.
In a bid to resolve that issue, The Australian put in writing a two-part question to Picone: Had you or Samu Kerevi signed an MOU or pre-agreement with Suntory before the end of January? Did you really give RA and/or the QRU a legitimate chance to negotiate?
Picone responded through his lawyers. “Any suggestion that the QRU were not given a legitimate opportunity to negotiate for Samu Kerevi’s services is false.”
He made no mention of Rugby Australia. Nor did he answer the critical question of whether Kerevi’s fate had been sealed in January, though it was not formally announced that he was heading to Japan until June.
Yet the showdown between one of the major unions in Australia and the man regarded as one of the powerbrokers of the game has been several years in the making, with the Reds repeatedly emerging as losers in Picone-brokered deals involving players nurtured and developed in the Queensland rugby system.
Will Genia, Liam Gill and Campbell Magnay all ventured overseas just as they were at or about to reach their peak. Lately the players heading interstate or overseas from Picone’s “stable” have become even younger, with Nudgee College five-eighth Reesjan Pasitoa last December turning down a Reds offer and signing with the Brumbies instead. He was 17 at the time.

Neither the QRU nor Rugby Australia would comment on the decision to exclude Picone from any player negotiations. It is understood that Scott Johnson, Rugby Australia’s director of rugby, has been looking at the issue of player agents, but he is in New Caledonia with the Wallabies and could not be contacted. Still, this looks to be the opening shot in a long-promised campaign to regulate player-manager activity.
It is understood that the Reds simply have told his players that they will negotiate only with them. That in no way precludes them from taking advice from Picone before or after their meetings. It simply means that their manager is not physically present while the terms of their contracts are being worked through. His players include lock Izack Rodda — who he insists he is still negotiating for — and Harry Hockings, centre Chris Feauai-Sautia, hooker Sean Farrell and five-eighth Carter Gordon.

Asked about the ban, Picone replied: “Firstly, can I say that it is disappointing to hear via the media of a rumour circulating that the QRU is refusing to negotiate with me in person. I certainly haven’t been advised of that by the QRU and if there is any truth to the rumour then I’d expect them to have raised it with me formally and I’d question their motives for doing so.”

Picone may not have been formally advised by the QRU but he was unsurprised by the rumour and indeed told The Australian he had just returned from speaking with his lawyers about it.
“My obligation as a rugby agent under our contract, the RUPA regulations and CBA is to represent the client’s best interests at all times,” he said. “That is what I do. My clients have a right to independent, impartial representation which afford them an equal voice in negotiations and a sense of security and support throughout such dealing.”
He was unapologetic that so many of his clients ended up leaving Queensland, either for overseas-based clubs or interstate to rival Super Rugby franchises.

“I am a player’s agent,” said Picone. “I have a fiduciary duty to act in my player’s best interests, which I do without fear or favour. The QRU’s job is to make it an attractive proposition to choose to play with the Reds, which no doubt they do to the best of their ability.”
Magnay, who grabbed a one-season deal with Suntory in 2017 which he took despite clear assurances from Wallabies coach Michael Cheika that he was in line for the spring tour to Europe at the end of that year, insists Picone has always dealt with him fairly.

“In 2015, 2017 and 2018 Anthony Picone laid out all options for me in relation to my playing career,” Magnay said. “The reason he is still my manager today is that he canvasses all the opportunities across rugby which are not just limited to Australia. He doesn’t sugarcoat anything, spells out the pros and cons of each offer.’’
It would have to be said, though, that Magnay’s drive towards the Wallabies has certainly been stalled by his Japan stint.

Picone is the only agent of the 15-odd managers that the Reds deal with who has been cut out of the loop. Significantly, of the 15 players recently announced as long-term signings in a strategy that Queensland is hoping will make the Reds a force again in Super Rugby, only one — Feauai-Sautia — is a Picone player.
Asked why he had been singled out, Picone replied: “The only legitimate reason that I can think of as to why the QRU would want to refuse to deal with me is because they believe they could gain some advantage over the players by preventing him from accessing advice from an experienced advocate. Assuming that the rumour is correct, perhaps the question that should be put to the QRU is what legitimate reason they have for trying to cut the player’s adviser out of the process.”

No attempt is being made by the QRU to induce players to change agents but certainly a clear message is being sent that Queensland is very much moving over to the system used in France and New Zealand, where rugby bodies will deal with only selected agents that all agree are working in the best interests of the players and the game.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Didn’t Picone do a mass relocation of his cattle from Yoku Rd to Chipsy Wood when Elia Tuqiri got the Souths coaching role?

With Tuqiri out of the role and Dammers in at head coach. Wonder if Picone boys will be staying put?

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Didn’t Picone do a mass relocation of his cattle from Yoku Rd to Chipsy Wood when Elia Tuqiri got the Souths coaching role?

With Tuqiri out of the role and Dammers in at head coach. Wonder if Picone boys will be staying put?

It will be interesting to see what happens. Wouldn't have said it was a 'mass relocation', moreso that there was a decrease of talent coming TO the club represented by Piccone. Also, the players who went with him weren't exactly rusted-on GPS boys. Bobby Tuttle and Magnay stayed and I'm pretty sure they are both with Picone. Club was disappointed to see Samu go though, not sure he's even played 1 minute of Premier Grade rugby for them yet?

Have heard that Tuqiri himself will be making a return to Yoku in some coaching capacity.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It will be interesting to see what happens. Wouldn't have said it was a 'mass relocation', moreso that there was a decrease of talent coming TO the club represented by Piccone. Also, the players who went with him weren't exactly rusted-on GPS boys. Bobby Tuttle and Magnay stayed and I'm pretty sure they are both with Picone. Club was disappointed to see Samu go though, not sure he's even played 1 minute of Premier Grade rugby for them yet?

Have heard that Tuqiri himself will be making a return to Yoku in some coaching capacity.
Also remember that it was not Anthony Piccone but his brother Brett who came back to Souths as a coach and Elia joined him there.

Mark Myers

Frank Row (1)

Sounds like you are pretty confident with your source of information there mate. If you could provide an accurate list of players I would be happy to eat my words. In return if you are unable to back your statement would you retract your comments? Not sticking up for the Picone's here but a mass exodus is a bit of an exaggeration. I think you would struggle to count them on one hand.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Sounds like you are pretty confident with your source of information there mate. If you could provide an accurate list of players I would be happy to eat my words. In return if you are unable to back your statement would you retract your comments? Not sticking up for the Picone's here but a mass exodus is a bit of an exaggeration. I think you would struggle to count them on one hand.

Retract my comment about mass exodus.

But whatever offseason that happened it did feel bigger then it actually was due to some of the names that made the move.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

You don't happen to work at NewStar do you Mark? Your newly created account and posts regarding the player management/Picone saga with the QRU across a couple forums would seem you have a vested interest in the matter?

Mark Myers

Frank Row (1)
You don't happen to work at NewStar do you Mark? Your newly created account and posts regarding the player management/Picone saga with the QRU across a couple forums would seem you have a vested interest in the matter?

I have a vested interest in facts. I also have a boy that has just started school rugby this year that has lead me to this site. As mentioned previously in the forum, I have researched the company and they have represented some respected talent over the years and the article that was posted here from the Australian was simply a sign of a franchise under severe pressure for screwing up so many negotiations in the past. If my son needed representation in the future I would likely meet with this Picone guy first. From all reports he works for the player and not the club. I would have to question the agenda of the other 14 agents mentioned as still working with the the QRU if they have been exempt from this fate. There is a really good and seemingly accurate site that shows Super Rugby player movements this year. If you do some research on which managers moved which players you will find that one manager in particular has moved more than half a dozen players and the one being persecuted has moved one player. Seems a little strange that there is not more chat around the others.

On a side note: I have tried my hand in the management world in League many moons ago and was not my cup of tea.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
I have a vested interest in facts. I also have a boy that has just started school rugby this year that has lead me to this site. As mentioned previously in the forum, I have researched the company and they have represented some respected talent over the years and the article that was posted here from the Australian was simply a sign of a franchise under severe pressure for screwing up so many negotiations in the past. If my son needed representation in the future I would likely meet with this Picone guy first. From all reports he works for the player and not the club. I would have to question the agenda of the other 14 agents mentioned as still working with the the QRU if they have been exempt from this fate. There is a really good and seemingly accurate site that shows Super Rugby player movements this year. If you do some research on which managers moved which players you will find that one manager in particular has moved more than half a dozen players and the one being persecuted has moved one player. Seems a little strange that there is not more chat around the others.

On a side note: I have tried my hand in the management world in League many moons ago and was not my cup of tea.

Gents as anyone who works in an agent whether it be from sports to real estate knows your first duty is to your client. All you can do is work in their best interests provide them with the options and let them make their own decisions.
The facts are from a Reds perspective they are not a place where people will play for them for less. Look at how they treated Rob Simmons when he was deemed surplus to requirements.

Newstar have players at every club and while some probably did follow Brett P and ET to Souths from GPS I expect some will go back when ET goes back to GPS as many have suggested. Just as some from Wests may move to Norths following that coach

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Correct the client comes first in the a client service business. But you are also there to make a wage. If your client wants to sell their $2mil house for $400k because they want a quick sale, I bet you’d advise them against it as you want the best and fair price for everyone involved. Same for player contracts.

Anyway too many threads getting caught up in this chat.

I think you’ll find the role of the player agent is evolving or I would even say diminishing to some extent in today’s society. They no longer have to go door to door trying to push their player to different teams. Social media and YouTube means anyone worth their wages already has reels of footage available and the teams come to them. All they need is a decent lawyer to eye the contract and off they go. That’s over simplified but you get the idea.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The facts are from a Reds perspective they are not a place where people will play for them for less. Look at how they treated Rob Simmons when he was deemed surplus to requirements.

don't believe they are facts by any stretch of the imagination. Squad lists from the last few years will prove that. Higgers, Smith, JOC (James O'Connor). As for Simmons? Give me Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hocking and Blyth over him every day.