• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Samoa, Sat 7th September, 7.30pm, Bankwest (Parra) Stadium

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's wild how many caps Simmons has. Goes to show you what you can achieve if you can just nail the core skills.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Peeps don't know the amount of work Simmons gets through. There'd be peeps on here whinging about Eales if he didn't run 50m per game, score 5 meat pies etc.

Simmons smoked the other Aussie locks in terms of tackles made in less games with an effective % of 84% and he is excellent in the line out. Does the hard yards.

B

Bobby Sands

Peeps don't know the amount of work Simmons gets through. There'd be peeps on here whinging about Eales if he didn't run 50m per game, score 5 meat pies etc.

Simmons smoked the other Aussie locks in terms of tackles made in less games with an effective % of 84% and he is excellent in the line out. Does the hard yards.

Yep, a regular superstar, call him David Giffin version 2.

o_O

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, there aren't any test forwards who have over 90 test caps that don't have an upside, but it is easier to moan over their weaknesses while ignoring their strengths

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's a little bit harsh. He was man of the match in his last home game for the Reds playing at 6 and beating the Brumbies

Fair play. I hadn't seen that one- was more referring to the earlier Wallabies games. I might also be a bit guilty of mixing Simmons up with Horwill at 6 in a couple of Reds games from way back.

I'm straight up not a Simmons fan. He's had his moments- especially that semi-final against Argentina in 2015. I get why some people might like him, but everyone has their own opinion of core roles and what a player should and shouldn't be doing. Simmons doesn't fit that for me in the way Coleman, Arnold and Rodda do. Plenty of people aren't Quade Cooper fans or Tolu Latu fans. I personally think they are great. There are always going to be controversial players. For what it's worth, I'd still pick Simmons in the World Cup squad every day of the week. Just don't think he is an impact player and don't think he is suited to playing 6.

Fatprop, there aren't many test players who have 1 cap that don't have an upside.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fair play. I hadn't seen that one- was more referring to the earlier Wallabies games. I might also be a bit guilty of mixing Simmons up with Horwill at 6 in a couple of Reds games from way back.

I'm straight up not a Simmons fan. He's had his moments- especially that semi-final against Argentina in 2015. I get why some people might like him, but everyone has their own opinion of core roles and what a player should and shouldn't be doing. Simmons doesn't fit that for me in the way Coleman, Arnold and Rodda do. Plenty of people aren't Quade Cooper fans or Tolu Latu fans. I personally think they are great. There are always going to be controversial players. For what it's worth, I'd still pick Simmons in the World Cup squad every day of the week. Just don't think he is an impact player and don't think he is suited to playing 6.

Fatprop, there aren't many test players who have 1 cap that don't have an upside.
Unpopular opinion over here, but, Coleman is no where near as good a lock as Simmons, Arnold or Rodda.

The guy puts in a noticeable hit every now and then and is held up as the pinnacle of locking greatness.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't agree, but I see where you are coming from. I always rated Matt Hodgson mostly because he has a lot of heart and his value as a leader. At a Super Rugby level, his stats for tackling and breakdown turnovers left Michael Hooper in the shade. Might have been the same for number of carries, but Hooper would have been far superior in metres made. Understandably, Hooper's impact around the field was significantly greater so he's the guy that gets picked. Coleman hasn't been in great form recently (guessing that is sn injury thing), but I reckon he has that same greater impact and I reckon it's more than just one or two dominant tackles a game.

Each to their own opinion.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Unpopular opinion over here, but, Coleman is no where near as good a lock as Simmons, Arnold or Rodda.

The guy puts in a noticeable hit every now and then and is held up as the pinnacle of locking greatness.

These days yes, but I recall his work-rate used to be a lot better, his first run in the wallabies he was at the top of the tackle count.

But I agree, Simmons is under-rated these day, he's probably in career best form.