• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...dd-a-shute-shield-star-to-super-rugby-roster/
Really don't know how the Waratahs let Guy Porter slip through their hands? He is very talented and would have been a solid inclusion...

The Tahs have the same issue the Eels have in the NRL, so many players "slip through their hands" :rolleyes:

The things is - plenty of units sign from the SS, the Tahs can't pick everyone up - they don't have the money or the space to fit them all in their squads.

So they make their selection decisions and like every other side they hope that a percentage of their picks don't turn out to be duds, keep them good'ens and jettison the duds each year

And rinse and repeat while listening to how "x" got away

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Porter is only been signed by the Brumbies on a one year wider training squad contract, for now anyways........

I don’t foresee him seeing much, if any game time next year barring injuries.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
And possibly if CT didn't report the signing, we still wouldn't be talking about it. Yes, I think this is the first I've seen him mentioned too. From what I saw of him this year looked ok, might have been worth a wider training squad spot, but then again might have been a dud.

B

Bobby Sands

Guy Porter is 22, has been playing Shute Shield for a few years and I genuinely think this is the first time he has ever been mentioned in a Waratahs thread.

No one thought he was a player we should sign prior to someone else signing him.

Absolutely, its just basic social phycology around scarcity.

"Simply put, humans place a higher value on an object that is scarce, and a lower value on those that are in abundance."

Given he has been signed by a competing organisation he is now "more valuable" based purely on the fact that he is not available to be signed.

B

Bobby Sands

Also interesting the Tepai Moeroa is on the extended bench for Parra in their first final, and not in the 17 (at this stage).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Guy Porter is 22, has been playing Shute Shield for a few years and I genuinely think this is the first time he has ever been mentioned in a Waratahs thread.

No one thought he was a player we should sign prior to someone else signing him.

Not really true BH. I've been mentioning Porter for the last two years on and off, and pretty sure some of those would have been on a Tahs thread. I m ost recently questioned his absence from the Sydney NRC squad about two or three weeks ago, before any mention of being signed by the Brumbies came to light.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not really true BH. I've been mentioning Porter for the last two years on and off, and pretty sure some of those would have been on a Tahs thread. I m ost recently questioned his absence from the Sydney NRC squad about two or three weeks ago, before any mention of being signed by the Brumbies came to light.

This is true. You have actually posted about him a number of times.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So watching the NRC besides the players already signed or re-signed who else looks like they might be worth a shot at a contract?
Few good club players in centres going round that have been impressive while Connor Vest been good for country which could be lock option target for tahs