• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tahs better pull their finger out, it’s only 4 month until the 2020 Super Rugby season and they don’t have a coach and squad is seriously lacking. Honestly, how long does it take to find a new coach? Gibson quit in June.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Maybe the new coach is involved with the RWC and they’re waiting until that’s finished to make the announcement? Or they’re looking at who might become available after the RWC?

Reactions: dru

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs better pull their finger out, it’s only 4 month until the 2020 Super Rugby season and they don’t have a coach and squad is seriously lacking. Honestly, how long does it take to find a new coach? Gibson quit in June.

I think they probably know who it is going to be but in relation to recruitment looks like the Tahs will be going for kids and scraps. There are areas where the Tahs need to recruit and I really hope they have this year like hard hitting forwards.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think they probably know who it is going to be but in relation to recruitment looks like the Tahs will be going for kids and scraps. There are areas where the Tahs need to recruit and I really hope they have this year like hard hitting forwards.

Yeah, there seems to be a want to promote a lot from within the gen blue/Aus U21s pathways

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, there seems to be a want to promote a lot from within the gen blue/Aus U21s pathways
Yeah, following the Reds model which I suspect might reap rewards this season for them. After so many experience players post RWC we might be in for a tough year but longer term gain

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, following the Reds model which I suspect might reap rewards this season for them. After so many experience players post RWC we might be in for a tough year but longer term gain

Agreed, but they needed to make space, and we will have a tough season (all the sides will as we have lost all our test 10s)

The Tahs starting pigs will be OK, but the backs .......................... I don't think there are many actual leaders

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's good and expected. Hopefully he can have an injury free season and really assert himself as a solid Super Rugby player.

I think it is pretty clear that the remaining unsigned players who are still being spotted at training sessions will be gradually re-signed.

A potential side for next year:

1. Johnson-Holmes
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Simmons
5. Holloway
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Clark
12. Foketi
13. Moeroa
14. Newsome
15. Beale

16. Fitzpatrick 17. O'Connor 18. Talakai 19. Swinton 20. Harris 21. Short 22. Mason 23. Nawaqanitawase

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's good and expected. Hopefully he can have an injury free season and really assert himself as a solid Super Rugby player.

I think it is pretty clear that the remaining unsigned players who are still being spotted at training sessions will be gradually re-signed.

A potential side for next year:

1. Johnson-Holmes
2. Latu
3. Robertson
4. Simmons
5. Holloway
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Clark
12. Foketi
13. Moeroa
14. Newsome
15. Beale

16. Fitzpatrick 17. O'Connor 18. Talakai 19. Swinton 20. Harris 21. Short 22. Mason 23. Nawaqanitawase

12. Moeroa
13. Foketi

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
12. Moeroa
13. Foketi

Certainly a possibility. It will be really interesting to see how they try and use him and I think will depend a lot on what his distribution game is like.

12 might be the option at least initially for the slightly easier defensive role.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Who's Moeroa?

Edit: google says a rugby league convert from the Eels. What's the word on him? Any good?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From an outsider's perspective, BH, I would have thought Swinton would start in preference to Hanigan. A much more aggressive player which is what the Tahs have missed in their forwards for some time.

Otherwise, not a bad looking squad accounting for the losses/expected losses post RWC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From an outsider's perspective, BH, I would have thought Swinton would start in preference to Hanigan. A much more aggressive player which is what the Tahs have missed in their forwards for some time.

Otherwise, not a bad looking squad accounting for the losses/expected losses post RWC.

I think Hanigan is still better in most aspects of play. Swinton clearly offers more muscle and agro but I don't think has the same set piece effectiveness and workrate. Assuming Dempsey is the number 8 then I think Hanigan provides better balance.

Swinton could very well challenge Holloway at lock (as could Hanigan if it is preferred that he plays there).

I really don't see Hanigan being benched though for any of the other options.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Swinton doesn’t look tall enough to play lock at Super Rugby level, but I agree with BR he has been player very well, and would have him ahead of Hanigan in the backrow on recent form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Swinton and Hanigan are both listed as the same height (1.94m). Holloway a centrimetre taller at 1.95m. Given they've all played lock at Super Rugby level I think it is fine and I think all are better than Staniforth.

I'm unsure what recent form. I think Hanigan was comfortably better in Super Rugby last year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Overall, probably BH, but I thought Swinton was starting to hit his straps at the end. And so far in NRC, I really think Swinton has outplayed Hanigan.

EDIT : the problem will probably go away when Dempsey (or Adrian's Darcy) misses the year again through injury.;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Certainly a possibility. It will be really interesting to see how they try and use him and I think will depend a lot on what his distribution game is like.

12 might be the option at least initially for the slightly easier defensive role.

Tackling won't be the issue, but I would be surprised if he had the pace to manage 13 defense

I think our 10s may enjoy having a very solid angry unit to hand off sketchy ball to

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Swinton and Hanigan are both listed as the same height (1.94m). Holloway a centrimetre taller at 1.95m. Given they've all played lock at Super Rugby level I think it is fine and I think all are better than Staniforth.

I'm unsure what recent form. I think Hanigan was comfortably better in Super Rugby last year.

Well. I don’t think any of those players make very good locks and it’s certainly not their best position, they’ve been forced to play there because of the Tahs poor recruitment at lock,