• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This is interesting content, but not sure what England are doing belongs in the Wallabies 2019 thread.
Might be worth starting team-specific threads for each team (certainly Tier 1 teams) related to RWC stuff.
England RWC 2019 stuff; Ireland RWC 2019 Stuff etc.........
I'll leave this here now, but maybe more stuff like this can go that way?
Cheers.

Red Rose

Bob McCowan (2)
You are right cyclopath....I meant to reference it back to Wallabies training. What is the inside scoop there and how tough are Cheika's sessions and does anyone really think any one side has a fitness advantage or are they all just very well prepared?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You are right cyclopath..I meant to reference it back to Wallabies training. What is the inside scoop there and how tough are Cheika's sessions and does anyone really think any one side has a fitness advantage or are they all just very well prepared?

As far as the Wallabies are concerned, hard to say. They peaked a few Tests ago, then looked a little cooked against Samoa. But that was the hard training aimed further down the track. The ABs are always peaking at the right time, fitness-wise, and in recent years look leaner and faster than us, without sacrificing effective strength in collisions. But they need that to play the style they want. I think most Tier 1 teams will be well prepared fitness-wise.
We'll lose for other reasons! ;)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It is a concern that none of the current squad members considered "front-line" goal-kickers have been great this year. In Super Rugby, Foley was 79% and Leali'ifano 75% (which are OK, and comparable to other Super Rugby notables except Parker on 88%); I don't have To'omua's numbers from up north handy. Hodge is a bit of an unknown as he seems to get handed the long-range ones more often than "easier" ones, so getting his actual numbers is a guess. JOC (James O'Connor) is all very well, but it is unclear whether he will be a starter or benchie at the moment. In the Tests thus far, none have been great.
While I doubt our goal-kicking will make or break our campaign (I think out in quarters is likely), it won't help!
Leali'ifano is the obvious 10, so I hope he is wearing out a kicking tee in Japan soon! Maybe get White into it too!

Cometh the hour, cometh the man

Nic+White+Super+Rugby+Rd+6+Brumbies+v+Stormers+kajR2Qs-xwyl.jpg

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think kicking is alot about confidence and I think Nic's would be sky high now, playing his best rugby in gold, took the 9 from one of the best, and can knock them over from just as far as Hodge and probably a better kick.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If they want to use White, and as I posted earlier, it makes sense, then he must be training as if he is the front-line kicker, accepting that he may not be. He has a good boot, but like Hodge, when they get used sporadically and only when the other guy is tanking it, it isn't ideal. If White and Leali'ifano start, and that seems the likely outcome, it means playing Hodge as a utility that kicks might not be so definite. White is definitely a bonus for his box-kick exits!

B

Bobby Sands

If they want to use White, and as I posted earlier, it makes sense, then he must be training as if he is the front-line kicker, accepting that he may not be. He has a good boot, but like Hodge, when they get used sporadically and only when the other guy is tanking it, it isn't ideal. If White and Leali'ifano start, and that seems the likely outcome, it means playing Hodge as a utility that kicks might not be so definite. White is definitely a bonus for his box-kick exits!

Such a well organised 9 these days. So glad we got him back.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree Wamb. We might not win many games by having a superior goal kicker, but sure as hell, if and when the first choice kicker has an off day, we will lose in unexpected circumstances.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Cannot agree with that. The presence of an accurate kicker (out of hand as well as from the tee) is a huge advantage.

We are not good enough to carry the handicap of a poor kicker.

I'd rather we master the basic skills of catching, passing, tackling and scoring tries first.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd rather we master the basic skills of catching, passing, tackling and scoring tries first.

Sure, and if in a tight game we don't score more than one? Not unheard of in RWC history

White's won clutch games for us before with his kicking, he should certainly be practicing as much as he can. Biggest kick by 15m and if his radar is calibrated he's the potential difference between quarters or final.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
When he was at the Brumbies, White notoriously hated being given goal-kicking responsibilities; he filled the role back in 2014 and couldn't wait to hand the tee back to Lealiifano (who was recovering from ankle surgery at the time). I don't know if his northern exposure has changed his position.

Of course, one expects a professional athlete to do whatever job the team requires, but burdening a player already in fine form with a responsibility he doesn't want does seem ill-advised.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
When he was at the Brumbies, White notoriously hated being given goal-kicking responsibilities; he filled the role back in 2014 and couldn't wait to hand the tee back to Lealiifano (who was recovering from ankle surgery at the time). I don't know if his northern exposure has changed his position.

Of course, one expects a professional athlete to do whatever job the team requires, but burdening a player already in fine form with a responsibility he doesn't want does seem ill-advised.
I think I'm right in saying that he has kicked 6 goals (total) in pro rugby in the last 5 years.

Fair to say, it's not the kicking record of the guy you want to be hanging your wold cup hopes off

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

If that's true, then we shouldnt make him do it, I just thought he had a lovely goal kick and distance, and in form might really just hit the sweet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.