• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It seems pretty likely to me that possible targets would be reluctant to sign until they know who the coach will be. I would have assumed that the Tahs do not have any liability, it will be RA's problem. Could be wrong, though.

My understanding is that RA is insured against the big payout, so I doubt the Tahs would bear much liability financially.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
This hasn’t just occurred over night though, it’s been a few years in the making for the Tahs yet they’ve recruited no one to develop and fill the gaps like other teams have. There’s a bumper crop of quality young locks coming through Australian rugby signed to Australian Super Rugby teams at the moment(Rodda, Swain, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Ha'angana, Hosea, Hockings, Blyth, Frost) , some of these guys are from Sydney original as well.

Exactly. The Tahs have had the opportunity to buy what they needed but Gibson didn't want to. The constant question of who is there isn't the right one but why did the Tahs NOT sign them or why didn't they want to come? There have been players but the recruitment mentality of the Tahs under Gibson has been ridiculous. Other teams find players Tahs find excuses.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is the Tahs' reticence to sign any big names because they are worried about a costly payout in the Folau debacle?

I think it more sustainable about $$$ and the Gibson & Hore experience of the Crusaders structures rather than buying the next marquee

The Reds are doing the same really under Thorn

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the big difference between the Reds, Tahs and Brumbies. IIs that the Reds and Briumbies have invested heavily in there coaching and resourcing of the academy and talent identification structure, whereas I haven’t seen the same resources dedicated at the Tahs.

Over the past 3-4 years Reds have had either Jason Gilmore or Paul Carozza in the dedicated role of Academy/Talent Identification and I think the dividends of that investment are starting to be seen now. I’m not sure what the Brumbies resourcing looks like, but the output speaks for itself.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I think it more sustainable about $$$ and the Gibson & Hore experience of the Crusaders structures rather than buying the next marquee

The Reds are doing the same really under Thorn

The Tahs don't have to buy a marquee, they have to actually buy what they need

B

Bobby Sands

I have no idea if QLDs method will even be successful! But the pathway is clear and has been in the works for a while.

It all started with the QLD U20s which then flowed into the NRC sides; specifically QLD country - training with the ethos that the Reds would take on. Having an identity.

These same players; Hockings, Blythe, Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Tate, Hamish, Daugunu, Thor, Mafi, Hoopert, Sautia, Campbell, Wilson etc have all been playing together for years now, even if not at the top level.

I suppose in terms of the development pathways it has stemmed from having strong cultures in the NRC sides, which is another area that NSW hasn't taken seriously at all.

When the club players come into these environments, they are understand the expectations of not only those sides but also the Reds and they have improved as players as a result. Blokes like Jerry Lynch, Dillon Wihongi, Faessler and Ozanne playing with for the most part a completely QLD Reds forward pack.

The hope is, that the core of this group with success at NRC level will then bring that mentality back to the Reds and drives the standards and culture at Super level. We are yet to see if that will be the case - but lets hope QLD Country and Sydney put on a good show in half an hour!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah I love what the Reds are doing and I’m a reds fan first & foremost but let’s have this conversation when we actually get results. The ‘Tahs have still dominated us for years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Fair point, plenty of promise in the Reds squad but hasn't amounted to nothing yet.

Perhaps the Tahs recruitment has more logic to it then we are aware of.

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah I love what the Reds are doing and I’m a reds fan first & foremost but let’s have this conversation when we actually get results. The ‘Tahs have still dominated us for years.

100%

Sydney were white hot today!

Great to see for the NRC

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Also mentioned in today's NRC coverage, the Tahs had preseason training/S&C work this week but there's still no head coach. How long can they afford to wait with the season starting so early next year?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes on todays performance from Sydney Harry Burey and Charlie Abel must be on the radar of consideration at least for a Tahs contract.

B

Bobby Sands

Gamble & Kemeny are the ones for me.

Tizzano has already been signed (gun). Maybe the Rebels or Brumbies should look at Gamble.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree, the Sydney pack gave some hope for the future. Even McCauly stepped up I thought
IMO the first choice Tahs pack is not to bad if Dempsey is fit. They do lack a big body or two and if they can recruit someone or unearth a gem or two in NRC, they will be okay in the forwards.

Their backline is looking pretty dire though. They’ll really need a couple of their rookies to come good quickly.

B

Bobby Sands

IMO the first choice Tahs pack is not to bad if Dempsey is fit. They do lack a big body or two and if they can recruit someone or unearth a gem or two in NRC, they will be okay in the forwards.

Their backline is looking pretty dire though. They’ll really need a couple of their rookies to come good quickly.

Foketi to breakthrough. Moeroa will be very interesting too.