• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Coden

Frank Row (1)
Bro, I read the article this morning in the paper and I've just got a different opinion than you...that's all

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
He likes to shop them around. Did the same with Rodda.

Was doing the same with Liam Gill to the Rebels apparently. Had them all in a flurry it would seem, but he's going to Japan.
The managers job is to shop them around, in fact I think it is their only job. I would rather a bulldog type like Picone represent my career than rely on my employer to do the right thing or worse an agent who is kissy kissy with my employer.

I know this is a Reds thread so you can be excused for some of the Reds apology on here but blind Freddie can see the QRU have stuffed this up and trying to cover their arse by blaming the agent.

B

Bobby Sands

Bro, I read the article this morning in the paper and I've just got a different opinion than you.that's all

So you set up an account to let me know?

You signed up last week and have made three posts, all of which are around the Picone saga and not rugby at all?

B

Bobby Sands

The managers job is to shop them around, in fact I think it is their only job. I would rather a bulldog type like Picone represent my career than rely on my employer to do the right thing or worse an agent who is kissy kissy with my employer.

I know this is a Reds thread so you can be excused for some of the Reds apology on here but blind Freddie can see the QRU have stuffed this up and trying to cover their arse by blaming the agent.

My eyes work perfectly, and this is not the conclusion I have made at all.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Picone is the type of manager where you can only cry wolf so many times before people stop taking you seriously, he shops his players around and uses it to put pressure on the clubs bidding for the players. That might work a few times, but eventually the clubs will just stop believing him when those threats are made, and unfortunately it’s at the detriment for everyone involved except Picone.

Players don’t play for the clubs they want, clubs don’t get the players they want, but Picone still takes home his commission.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

No it’s not. It’s to look after the best interests of the player. They doesn’t mean shopping them around. If that’s the manager’s main method then he or she is a bad one.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
No it’s not. It’s to look after the best interests of the player. They doesn’t mean shopping them around. If that’s the manager’s main method then he or she is a bad one.
Incredible to think the agent is not allowed to canvass interest from every club.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I guess my question is why didn’t Picone inform the QRU/RA that a letter of intent had been signed in January? Reds could have diverted their recruitment/retention focus elsewhere rather then trying to negotiate with a player who was never going to stay.

B

Bobby Sands

I guess my question is why didn’t Picone inform the QRU/RA that a letter of intent had been signed in January? Reds could have diverted their recruitment/retention focus elsewhere rather then trying to negotiate with a player who was never going to stay.

You would imagine it is the absolute base requirement of clear and transparent negotiations.

I couldn't fathom talking to people in a commercial sense, while failing to disclose such pivotal information.

Its genuine worst practise whether we are talking about property development, software development, management or sporting contracts.

Its a core truth of integrity.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Without getting into the ethics of disclose etc, is a letter of intent binding?

If Kerevi/Picone wanted to accept the Reds+RA offer that was made subsequent to the LOI, could they?

B

Bobby Sands

Without getting into the ethics of disclose etc, is a letter of intent binding?

If Kerevi/Picone wanted to accept the Reds+RA offer that was made subsequent to the LOI, could they?

Almost never, same as MOU's.

The whole purpose of them that they are not binding.

It is a letter of intention that acts as a precursor document to the more intricate contract.

If it was binding, it would be a contract by the legal definition of what a contract is.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Signs one year, almost immediately asking for another deal. Why do 1 year in the first place except with the expectation to enter into some sort of bidding war in the meantime.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Signs one year, almost immediately asking for another deal. Why do 1 year in the first place except with the expectation to enter into some sort of bidding war in the meantime.

I think he may have signed the one year deal realising that it was probably too late to sign a long term one. Then goes to the QRU and asks to get things sorted for the long term.

I see issues with both sides in this case. We all knew in January he'd signed something in Japan. Why do that if he wanted to stay here? Also why wouldn't RA get on top of things early on?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I don't really understand what the issue is.
He signed a one year deal to play world cup, but hoping to generate a large long term deal, and was agnostic with whom that large contract was with.

He then had a firm, but non-binding, LOI from Japan. If RA had come up with a better long term offer, he probably stays. RA choose to make their offer, and it's not enough to keep him. So be it.

Is it that RA didn't know what number they needed to offer to keep him to stay?
Or was the actual Japanese contract was signed early 2019 and he wasted everyone's time by pretending to continue negotiations?

What am I missing?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This thread is titled "REDS 2020", not "SAMU 2019/20".
He ain't going to be anywhere near the Reds next year, so can we move on to what the title suggests?