• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool B: All Blacks vs Springbokke, Sat 21st September, 18h45 , International Stadium Yokohama

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Always struggle with who to support in this match up. I probably tend to favour NZ? Chomping at the bit to watch it but. Maybe I don't "support" either and just watch it for the cracking match I hope it will be? Probably a good way to go actually.

I think if I'm honest though, I don't think I want NZ to win the Cup this time around, if only to keep things interesting. So probably go South Africa this time! :D Fuck, who knows!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm surprised people don't think much of Barrett at the back. The guy is quite clearly a fullback; good in the air, quick, enters the line well, can kick, excellent cover defender. Mo'unga has the far superior passing game all round -- he doesn't massively telegraph long passes, for one -- and particularly with shorts passes at the line.

Though, in saying that, I hope rival coaches hold the same opinions on Barrett. Much easier to win if the opposition thinks you done gone goofed. Ditto, what some think about ALB. Though admittedly not on here.

I think he's incredible at the back, just at 10 he's the best player in the world.

10. BB 15. Bender > 10. RM 15. BB

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Smith has slowed down a lot (via age and injuries) and has been beaten several times in the air recently by different players. He's done. I probably wouldn't have had him on the bench, but there we go.

I also strong disagree about Barrett being a great first five. He's great off scrum, sure, but that's because he has time and space to work with. When he doesn't have that (e.g. in phase play vs the ubiquitous rush defence) he tends to struggle and shovels it sideways a lot. Probably why Williams has been so important to them while Barrett was there.

Now he's at fullback, he can enter the line wider out where he has the time and space to be lethal. He was playing far too much in close against the Boks and in Bledisloe I. But he started leaving that to Mo'unga and busied himself with the wider channels in Beldisloe II, and the results were pretty clear to see. Also did it against Tonga, but that was a massive mismatch. I suspect the attack will be far more potent now they've had time to work together. If so, it'll be a big, big ask for the Bok offence to keep pace.

I'd absolutely take Mo'unga/Barrett combo over every other alternative, including if McKenzie were available.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For AB's:
Rettalick still injured?
Not liking BB at 15, and the backrow - although individually all amazing players is awfully unbalanced.
Both wings are still pretty fresh for test footy not sure how they will perform under RWC pressure.

I'm backing Boks for this one.

Lurch won't be back until final Pool match v Italy at the earliest.

If DMac were fit he'd be 15 & Bleaugan 10: Mo'unga's had some time at 15 but doesn't bring what Bleaugan does.

Wings will be fine IMO esp if bokke keep rushing IN & up: plenty of room outside & behind them if we can get it there whether from hand or hoof. Look also for AB to have two guys in the openside tram lines to draw the D wider then punch it up a little wider of the ruck than the usual 2-5m.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm surprised people don't think much of Barrett at the back. The guy is quite clearly a fullback; good in the air, quick, enters the line well, can kick, excellent cover defender. Mo'unga has the far superior passing game all round -- he doesn't massively telegraph long passes, for one -- and particularly with shorts passes at the line.

Though, in saying that, I hope rival coaches hold the same opinions on Barrett. Much easier to win if the opposition thinks you done gone goofed. Ditto, what some think about ALB. Though admittedly not on here.

Is he good in the air? I would have thought BB at 10 and 15 B.Smith would be the best option.

BB 10 he is the most threatening, highlighted by winning World Player of the Year there twice. Mo'unga the more well-rounded option but BB is a seasoned Test player, it's a big risk swapping them around but why would you take that risk when you got a FB as capable as B.Smith at the back.

I thought the 15 BB experience was there to provide Mo'unga experience as a plan B in-case BB got injured, or to use in the 20mins of a game, I never thought it was there as a first choice option.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Frizzell's charmed run continues, Matt Todd wasn't considered for this one due to a minor shoulder injury. Given he's in the 31 & now a 23 due to the misfortune of several others I reckon he owes the Rugby Gods a blinder or karma will surely get him, Dismal styles.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Always struggle with who to support in this match up. I probably tend to favour NZ? Chomping at the bit to watch it but. Maybe I don't "support" either and just watch it for the cracking match I hope it will be? Probably a good way to go actually.

I think if I'm honest though, I don't think I want NZ to win the Cup this time around, if only to keep things interesting. So probably go South Africa this time! :D Fuck, who knows!
Your blood is green! Feel it!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One of those wonderful games where you can enjoy a beer and cheer on both sides hoping they beat the living shit out of each other

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I'm going to seek out the most Kiwi pub I can find hoping to add a liberal sprinkling of schadenfreude to my pint after the Boks double-dack them

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OP updated with AB team
New Zealand

15 Beauden Barrett 14 Sevu Reece, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 George Bridge, 10 Richie Mo’unga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read (captain), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Ardie Savea, 5 Scott Barrett, 4 Sam Whitelock, 3 Nepo Laulala, 2 Dane Coles, 1 Joe Moody

Substitutes: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Ofa Tuungafasi, 18 Angus Ta’avao, 19 Patrick Tuipulotu, 20 Shannon Frizell, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Sonny Bill Williams, 23 Ben Smith

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Glad to see Richie in 10 and BB in 15.

Faf winning box kick battle.

The biggest challenge for both teams will be the battle to breakdowns. 1st Phases will be tat for toe.

All Blacks by 13.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Saffas paying $3 to win. Some very confident Kiwis out there.

The Kiwis have gone for mobility and pace on the dry, hot hard grounds (they have Ta’avao on the bench FFS), while the monster Boks will be splattering as usual as they slam around the corner before kicking and smashing again

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Kiwis have gone for mobility and pace on the dry, hot hard grounds (they have Ta’avao on the bench FFS), while the monster Boks will be splattering as usual as they slam around the corner before kicking and smashing again
Tis raining tho

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ still 50-odd hours til kickoff & I have no idea how predictable/ changeable Yokohama's weather is, but:

"Weather forecast at kick-off time: Occasional rain and drizzle with gusts up to 26km/h. Temperature of 19 degrees celsius."

Actually quite glad to be working this Saturday, it'll be a distraction from waiting for M. Garces to whistle time on.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Frizzell's charmed run continues, Matt Todd wasn't considered for this one due to a minor shoulder injury. Given he's in the 31 & now a 23 due to the misfortune of several others I reckon he owes the Rugby Gods a blinder or karma will surely get him, Dismal styles.

Actually think Frizzell a good choice on bench anyway, as we may need some beef in pack at some stage, ie him and PT! Just a thought.