• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

B

Bobby Sands

It is also the reality that our attack is being built around our only real attacking threat, Kerevi, so selection is whoever they think compliments him and that doesn't have be our "best" form 13 (who really needs a ball playing 12)

Bob Dwyer in more recent years thought he would make a better 12 for what it’s worth.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprised not to see Fainga'a in there......... he was head and shoulders above every other option this year and played fine in the two tests he started.

Hopefully he'll be included for a Wales, and this is just an opportunity to give Uelese more game time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surprised not to see Fainga'a in there... he was head and shoulders above every other option this year and played fine in the two tests he started.

Hopefully he'll be included for a Wales, and this is just an opportunity to give Uelese more game time.

Both the "options" selected weren't there for most of the season for numerous reasons but have that something extra that can make them either roosters or feather dusters

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Perhaps Poey and Hoops will play more a left side & right side, instead of a blind side & open side. Though also expect them to swap, and poey and naisarani to swap, dependent on what sort of defence they will be applying to attack they think is coming so Hooper can get out there, or so Poey can get there to be 2nd man for a turn over etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Perhaps Poey and Hoops will play more a left side & right side, instead of a blind side & open side. Though also expect them to swap, and poey and naisarani to swap, dependent on what sort of defence they will be applying to attack they think is coming so Hooper can get out there, or so Poey can get there to be 2nd man for a turn over etc.

Poey as second man to breakdowns can equate to a load of jackling.

We have seen moaning all season as the selectors have tried to find a better "6" than Pocock.

At this stage we have found solid units only, but no one better.

So despite the obvious backrow balance issues, it is worth a try.

My only issue is actually the lineout throwing, we have two great lineout locks - if Latu can hit his marks.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair, I think Fardy was a better line-out option then Naisa so our line-out will be even worse then last RWC. (should the Popper continue)

Although if we make the Final and NZ are there... they will have the same issue.

I think our line-out will get dominated by England and SA though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair, I think Fardy was a better line-out option then Naisa so our line-out will be even worse then last RWC. (should the Popper continue)

Although if we make the Final and NZ are there. they will have the same issue.

I'm not entirely sure we are going to run this backrow in every game. Obviously it will partly depend how things go tomorrow but I expect the match against Wales will give us a clearer indication of the side we might run out in a quarter/semi-final.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallabies won’t win against the traditional powers with only 2 and a half line out jumpers

Fiji have always had a notoriously bad line out so this lineup will probably work against them at the set piece, but it won’t work against Wales, ABs, Ireland, England or South Africa

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Phipps over Powell for the Samoa test a surprise selection, don't you think?

I agree with the rest.

Although Fainga probably hard done by given his superb super xv season - probably deserved to start but personally i also like the look of Uelese and even Latu (they just seem harder into contact).

Funny thought: I recall Cheika stating this season Fainga needs to work on his fitness as he was carrying too much weight - that's plan old fat-shaming and might be the reason why he isn't first choice ;)

Fainga'a is a more creative player than either of Latu or Uelese. He is more likely to set up an attack with the ball than the other two.

Latu has a reputation for over the ball work, but also has a reputation for giving away a lot of penalties. Uelese is all potential, and plenty of it. But he hasn't really proved himself at Super level yet let alone test match standard.

As far as fitness is concerned, as I recall, Latu was sent back to the Tahs by Cheika (was it last year or this?) because he was allegedly unfit. FF (Folau Fainga'a) on the other hand played I think all (certainly most) test matches this year, maybe not v Samoa. If there's any question about his weight/fitness, it seems to only have come about while under Cheika's supervision in the late run up to the RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Although if we make the Final and NZ are there. they will have the same issue.

Fardy is the better lineout option, but Isa is by far the better ball carrier

We simply need a decent 6 who can carry effectively at test level, defend hard and be an effective lineout option - all our options are a compromise, so until someone unknown puts their hand up, we pick the best compromise we have

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies won’t win against the traditional powers with only 2 and a half line out jumpers

Fiji have always had a notoriously bad line out so this lineup will probably work against them at the set piece, but it won’t work against Wales, ABs, Ireland, England or South Africa

If NZ play Read, Saeva, and Cane - then really it's pretty even for line-out options even if we start the Pooper.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fainga'a is a more creative player than either of Latu or Uelese. He is more likely to set up an attack with the ball than the other two.

Latu has a reputation for over the ball work, but also has a reputation for giving away a lot of penalties. Uelese is all potential, and plenty of it. But he hasn't really proved himself at Super level yet let alone test match standard.

As far as fitness is concerned, as I recall, Latu was sent back to the Tahs by Cheika (was it last year or this?) because he was allegedly unfit. FF (Folau Fainga'a) on the other hand played I think all (certainly most) test matches this year, maybe not v Samoa. If there's any question about his weight/fitness, it seems to only have come about while under Cheika's supervision in the late run up to the RWC.

I think they actually want Latu's ball carrying and Uelese needs game time. Fainga'a is less "dynamic" than either but more consistent at lineout

Wallabies prop Scott Sio said Latu’s turnaround was remarkable.
“I think, like anyone, there are certain challenges you’re going to face in life but like we’ve always said it’s the reaction after it and how you keep pulling through that will show your character,” he said.

“His journey wasn’t the one we all like to read in books and so forth but he is where he is today because he’s worked extremely hard to put himself in this position and give himself the opportunity to represent his country on our biggest stage.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...y/news-story/b47c4fa219904d92d20e29fb0e7224bd

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

With Isi I count 3.5.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

The big difference is that Uelese and Latu are big units that add a lot at set piece, particularly scrum time. Hopefully their lineout work is up to scratch. I’m sure all three will get a lot of minutes throughout the tournament.