• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Wallabies had to bring in a selection panel so that the selections weren't so Tah-Centric!!

Anyway, Richmond just won, so I am off to have a few beers.

Good night gents.

Ah, a Tigers supporter..........

That explains the feral nature of the last few pages.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JB I can accept that Jordan Uelese offers more bulk at scrum time, but both Latu and Fainga'a are listed as 1.76m with Latu 110kg and FF (Folau Fainga'a) 106kg. Hardly enough to make a difference in a 900kg unit.
I am an unabashed Uelese fan. As you know I have been beating his drum for a while. He offers the size and strength of a young TPN.
Latu has been a surprise packet when given the most recent opportunity and if his discipline remains in check is a top line test rake. FF (Folau Fainga'a) is on the improve but both he and BPA failed to cement the starting spot recently. I think he is lacking just a little size. He’s a very good player, particularly at Super level. Still not quite there at test level.
Using bulk is another matter. Latu plays beyond his weight. Tough as nails.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes. He doesn’t quite have the size to dominate at scrum time a la TPN or Uelese.

That's a strange observation, taking into account Fainga'a's dominant scrummaging over the last two seasons.........

Are you sure you're not thinking of Saia Fainga'a?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slim, we are going around in circles. I know he is a Brumby and his Super Rugby form has been stellar. It just has not yet translated into the same at test level. It may well in short order.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
At scrumtime this season though, Tupou has been found out to a reasonable degree. He was the most penalised player in Super Rugby and has had a few struggles in the tests too.

Sure no one is arguing TT is without his flaws, Kepu also has his flaws which are mostly around his ageing body and not being the player he once was. Based on their form the last 18months, TT is ny preferred prop over Kepu. I think Kepu has been selected for his reputation on what he offered in 2015, again not saying he is a bad prop.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I feel there's far too much analysis going into the selection of a couple of reserves against Fiji. Wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to give Uelese/Keps some game time against competitive opposition or if FF (Folau Fainga'a) or 'Nela are carrying niggles.

Either way, I don't think the reserve hooker selection against Fiji is worth getting hot under the collar about. Only a few more hours to go now, looking forward to it.