• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Absolutely dire. Lazy pigs dominated and out muscled at the ruck AGAIN. Look at the intent at the ruck from the Fijians. If these blokes were fitter we'd be gone.

Nic White eh. He's great. Love his work.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just re-watched the game with fresh eye. Some general thoughts.

1. This game really shone a light on 2 major issues that will likely prevent us from going any further than the quarters, that being game tactics and goal kicking. It seems to me that the game plan early in the game was to go out there and play an expansive running game against the Fijians...seriously?! we have 2 years to plan this game and that's the strategy we come up with? It played perfectly into their hands. The fact that it took us 30 minutes to realise that we should be playing a tight and going straight up the middle is dumbfounding. I'm worried Gatland is going to make Cheika look like a fool next week.

2. The Wallabies need to work on their breakdown . Too often guys get isolated.

3. those suggesting that Pocock didnt have a very good game really werent paying attention. He was at the centre of just about everything in the second half, in particular the rolling maul. Got one turnover, forced another turnover with a dominant tackle close to our line, topped the tackle count. He may not have lived up to lofty expectations, but he was still one of the best on field.

4. The Refereeing was very frustrating. O'Keefe seemed to be much harder on the wallabies than Fiji, particularly in the first half. The Fijians werent pinged at the breakdown and he didn't rule them offside once, despite the fact they were regularly creeping up offside. The short line out in the first after went nowhere near 5 metres. In the first half he ruled advantage over after we get tackled in goal, yet the fijians do the same in the second half and he says no advantage. Pocock was, in my opinion, unfairly penalised in the second half when he was ruled to be off his feet when pilfering. Not long thereafter the fijians get a penalty turnover when the man quite clearly goes off his feet. I'm not sure whether referees are subconciously tougher on the tier 1 nation is these types of games but there seemed to be a bit of that going on.

5. Some nice performances off the bench. real impact. I'd probably start Genia next week and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Pocock can switch spots

I reckon there was some method to the madness. We went out with that plan because it's the game plan we will be running with the A team for pretty much every other game of the tournament. When it was clear it wasn't working we went to Plan B. The fact that we had a plan B is a step up from the last 3 years, and hopefully that's a sign that we have one for the remainder of our games.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That Hodge try was a direct result of the similar try against Argentina a couple of months ago, where Koro made the big initial break. Fijians were so worried about Kerevi coming off CLL that they were wrong footed and opened up when the pass went to JOC (James O'Connor) instead who was good enough to flick it on perfectly under a fair bit of pressure through to Beale.

It's a beauty of a try built on months of work and taking advantage of deception built on the video analysis of the Wallabies previous moves.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Absolutely dire. Lazy pigs dominated and out muscled at the ruck AGAIN. Look at the intent at the ruck from the Fijians. If these blokes were fitter we'd be gone.

Nic White eh. He's great. Love his work.

Maybe you should go hang out on the Silver Fern, you might find yourself some optimism there.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We were shite. I'm allowed to say it.

we weren't though. We started poorly, modified the game plan and came home with a wet sail to trounce them. There were some great performances and some poor ones. We got maximum points against the 3rd ranked team in our pool, what more would you like? I don't think I've ever read a positive comment about the Wallabies from you.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
we weren't though. We started poorly, modified the game plan and came home with a wet sail to trounce them. There were some great performances and some poor ones. We got maximum points against the 3rd ranked team in our pool, what more would you like? I don't think I've ever read a positive comment about the Wallabies from you.

We bombed a try with 5 minutes to go as well, should have been a 46-21 scoreline with a 36-7 second half.

I remember a few times this last cycle where the ABs have started slowly against teams like Argentina and France and then blown them off the park in the final 30-40 minutes. Good teams can switch game plans mid-game, it was pleasing to see us revert to a different style of play.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah it was the switch in game plan that turned the tide. In previous years they would have persisted and got blown off the park. This was a banana skin game if I've ever seen one and they got the chocolates.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
There were some great performances and some poor ones. We got maximum points against the 3rd ranked team in our pool, what more would you like? .

I agree with what your saying, however, why we even started the game with that 'style of play' is beyond me. It was clear as day that the Fijians struggled with set piece play and close quarters. We didn't even bother trying to play in their half via clearing kicks but kept running it. We tried to play Pacific Island rugby against Fiji, so it's no wonder we got destroyed.

Was the game plan to tire the Fijians out and play like we did??

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think this was exactly the match we needed to get the tournament underway. Fiji came out all guns blazing, hitting hard and running hard. They attacked with exuberance and defended with intent, and built up a two score advantage.

The Wallabies were able to turn things around in the second half and go on to a bonus point win. There really couldn't have been a better entry to the Cup, and so long as we have four lineout jumpers on the ground for Wales, there is every likelihood they will top the group stage.

All in all, apart from a couple of obvious weaker parts, it was a very pleasing outcome.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I agree with what your saying, however, why we even started the game with that 'style of play' is beyond me. It was clear as day that the Fijians struggled with set piece play and close quarters. We didn't even bother trying to play in their half via clearing kicks but kept running it. We tried to play Pacific Island rugby against Fiji, so it's no wonder we got destroyed.

Was the game plan to tire the Fijians out and play like we did??
I addressed this above.
I reckon there was some method to the madness. We went out with that plan because it's the game plan we will be running with the A team for pretty much every other game of the tournament. When it was clear it wasn't working we went to Plan B. The fact that we had a plan B is a step up from the last 3 years, and hopefully that's a sign that we have one for the remainder of our games.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think this was exactly the match we needed to get the tournament underway. Fiji came out all guns blazing, hitting hard and running hard. They attacked with exuberance and defended with intent, and built up a two score advantage.

The Wallabies were able to turn things around in the second half and go on to a bonus point win. There really couldn't have been a better entry to the Cup, and so long as we have four lineout jumpers on the ground for Wales, there is every likelihood they will top the group stage.

All in all, apart from a couple of obvious weaker parts, it was a very pleasing outcome.

Agreed. It was a perfect way to start the tournament, getting bashed up by a good side, still winning and having no major injury issues.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks - I guess, it still begs the question why Chieka and co thought that Plan A was the most appropriate game plan with alllllllll the evidence suggesting it wasn't the best one.
I think they knew it probably wasn’t, but wanted to rehearse the main plan and try beat them at their own game. Possibly it was planned to switch at 30 minutes. This is pure speculation, but I’m thinking through it because regardless of what anyone thinks of Cheika he certainly isn’t stupid and would have considered the opposition.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I agree BR. Overcoming adversity early on will fill them with confidence. Hopefully, though, they dont start as poorly against Wales.

I think Pocock will be benched for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) against Wales which would make sense from both a form and strategic viewpoint.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I think Pocock will be benched for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) against Wales which would make sense from both a form and strategic viewpoint.

I understand this from the strategic part but not the form part. Do you think Pocock didn't have a good game?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

Yeh I can only assume that this means we will be running the ball against Wales, but trying that against Fiji was a bit dumb. We should have secured a lead and then chanced our arm once the game was won.

I do however agree that, unlike in years past, this wallabies can actually play a tight, set piece, forward-centric game plan if they want. I really think they should be doing that more. They did it against the All Blacks in Perth and to be honest, other than guys like Kerevi and Koribete, I'm not sure we really have the backs to blow teams off the park at this tournament. I'm a bit worried that Cheika still sees us having this dominant backline when really it's a dynamic forward pack that I see as the core strength of this team. Then again, I might feel different after seeing how we shape up against Wales

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I understand this from the strategic part but not the form part. Do you think Pocock didn't have a good game?

I think Pocock gets (harshly) judged at times - if he is not winning 5 turnovers, well, what was he doing anyway???
He was heavily opposed in the breakdown and O'Keeffe was all over him too. He did everything else he had to do at a very high level, I thought. Like some players do - just get it done well, but not flashy. Happy to have that. Good game.