• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D: Wallabies v Fiji, Sat 21st September, 2.45pm AEST, Sapporo Dome

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Watching that analysis, I definitely can see what someone said about JOC (James O'Connor) straightening the attack to fix defenders which in turn gives men outside him more time and space. Also loved To'omua's catch/pass leading up to that under huge pressure before getting whacked.

What he pointed out about our defence was very interesting. Having some forward who didn't rush up and then CLL outside them who even retreated. Everyone else is adopting rush defence, why aren't we?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
One thing I noticed from rewatching the first half: I really like the little touches James O'Connor has at 13.

Specifically, he is really good at straightening our backline attack, fixing defenders and putting his outside men in space. It's not highlights package stuff (often it's just a case of taking one or two steps before passing) but it's really effective and it's something we have never been particularly good at.

It seems his first instinct is to pass, which is a big shift away from 13s we've had in the past - TK, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc. Not having a dig at those two though, who were doing their jobs in a different backline.

Mate I couldn't agree more. I was quite shocked when I saw people panning his performance on here. He had a very astute mature game. Creating time and space for those around him whilst taking the contact and making some hard meters when he had to. His distribution/organisation when he slipped into playmaker was good as well.

As you mentioned his ability to straighten as well as draw/fix multiple defenders created many opportunities our other backs cannot. It is a shame we do not have another fast and agile winger to take advantage of more of those opportunities. He is doing really simple things which a heap of our players have not been doing for the past few years and I think having him at 13 could cause some real problems for opposition defensive lines. Also works hard off the ball to get into better positions, plays eyes up and his communication seems to be great as well.

My opinion of Koro has also gone up significantly. He must be one of the hardest working wingers in the game. Perhaps we are just seeing it more in attack now that he isn't running a marathon trying to make Grey's old defensive system work. I still have one problem with him though- his first instinct on a break is always to run himself. There were at least 2 occasions on the weekend where the were players in good supporting positions he should have given the ball to(White and Poey I think) I. Space and instead of passing to space he kind of tried to swerve into the space which allowed the scrambling defense to shut down that space. It looks to me as if he isn't very comfortable passing the ball. The bloke is playing well apart from that though.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Not unexpected but big precedent set now. Could be some big suspensions coming this world cup.

EDIT: Just realised he got the same as Scott Barrett who tucked his arm and charged Hooper above shoulder, can't see how these are the same.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not unexpected but big precedent set now. Could be some big suspensions coming this world cup.

EDIT: Just realised he got the same as Scott Barrett who tucked his arm and charged Hooper above shoulder, can't see how these are the same.

The are the same, basically hit him in head with shoulder, though I strongly suspect there was no intention he actually did more damage than Barrett too, although I am disappointed for Hodge as I say think it unintentional, and it was self preservation that stopped him setting himself correctly. Almost guarantee that at least one of Samoan players will cop a suspension too if not both!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The are the same, basically hit him in head with shoulder, though I strongly suspect there was no intention he actually did more damage than Barrett too, although I am disappointed for Hodge as I say think it unintentional, and it was self preservation that stopped him setting himself correctly. Almost guarantee that at least one of Samoan players will cop a suspension too if not both!
No citing as yet that i am aware of?

Hodge deserved his ban but WR (World Rugby) has absolutely no concept of consistency.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ "Manu Samoa centre Rey Lee-Lo and hooker Motu Matu’u have been cited for acts of foul play contrary to Law 9.13 (dangerous high tackle) in Samoa’s Rugby World Cup 2019 match against Russia on 24 September.

"World Rugby have also handed down a Citing Commissioner Warning for Samoa winger Ed Fidow for an act of foul play contrary to Law 9.12 (punching or striking) in the same match."

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/482506