• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Wales - Sunday 29 September 2019 @ 5.45pm

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well, blind Freddy can see why. Consistently poor player selections, incessant reliance on his under-performing favourites; poor game plan and management, no long term improvement in players' skills. Should Freddy continue on?

Aside from Foley, I don't feel the selections cost us, and we have a selection panel now. Tactics seemed fine, we were dominating Wales all around the ground--see DP's post. A couple of years ago our setpiece was absolute junk, we just dominated the Welsh completely in lineout and scrums, seems to be some improvement to me.

Now, I think the Wallabies are ready for a change of coach post WC but I don't think this was the game where I thought, man we need a change of coach it's just not working.

tunah

Frank Row (1)
Saw one called the opposite way in Super rugby, and I think one in the home tests too. Not sure the consistency with that law is there. But I agree, I believe it is OK if you are in play before the ball crosses. Any refs on here?

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=18&language=EN 18.2c:

The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.

So apparently good call, and good knowledge of the law (as well as skills) from the Welsh player.
Brutal to watch from an Aus POV, though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought the two telling moments in the game were when Allan Ala'alatoa was replaced by Kepu (the scrum then went from dominant to below par) and Hooper's decision to take the three when all the momentum was with the Wallabies. The kick was successful, but the rest of the game was almost entirely in the Wallabies' half with Wales mostly in possession.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely the out line has been the plane for age s? Are there different rules between international and super?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought the two telling moments in the game were when Allan Ala'alatoa was replaced by Kepu (the scrum then went from dominant to below par) and Hooper's decision to take the three when all the momentum was with the Wallabies. The kick was successful, but the rest of the game was almost entirely in the Wallabies' half with Wales mostly in possession.

But we got two penalties with Keps there?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Tupou should have come off the bench

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Wallabies are going to lose to Enlgand but an absolute.buttload. the recipe is easy.

I really hope the French can do them in the pool so they move to other side of draw. Farrell will be kicking field goals until the cows come home against us.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But we got two penalties with Keps there?

One of which was totally undeserved. Kepu was owned by the Welsh LHP. On top of that he was ineffectual in the open and gave away at least one late penalty when the Wallabies were chasing the game. TT should have been on the bench and I sincerely hope we have seen the last of Kepu at test level, along with Foley, who was atrocious, and Beale who was invisible save from a forward pass gifting possession to Wales near the end.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Last thing on the Kerevi incident, this was play on and no one said anything:

So explain to me how a tucked forearm to the chest is getting pulled up this week? Bloody hard to keep loving rugby let alone play it when the refs/TMOs just make it up as they go along.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I would teach all our school number 10s the art of drop goals.... Keep the score board ticking over and it puts forwards completely off their game. If the 10 runs or snaps 3 points...very hard to defend a good drop kicker.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
One of which was totally undeserved. Kepu was owned by the Welsh LHP. On top of that he was ineffectual in the open and gave away at least one late penalty when the Wallabies were chasing the game. TT should have been on the bench and I sincerely hope we have seen the last of Kepu at test level, along with Foley, who was atrocious, and Beale who was invisible save from a forward pass gifting possession to Wales near the end.

You said our scrum lost dominance when Kepu came on, we didn't, we won two penalties. I think Tupou should have been there as well but to say we lost dominance is just rubbish.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would teach all our school number 10s the art of drop goals.. Keep the score board ticking over and it puts forwards completely off their game. If the 10 runs or snaps 3 points.very hard to defend a good drop kicker.

Exactly what won the game for Wales. Smart play by them, they really did take all of their opportunities to score points.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What a terrific test match, that one had everything. Momentum swinging all over the place, good bit of controversy to keep the juices flowing, big hits, amazing skill. Competitive right to the final second.

How good to be getting critical scrum penalties even with the reserves on.

Well done Wales but the Oz players can walk off with their heads held high too after that fightback.

Loved it. Serious test rugby