• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Wales - Sunday 29 September 2019 @ 5.45pm

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Cheika can understandably be frustrated about a decision or two but to say that you don't understand why the game is going this way or to say that the players aren't concerned is terrible.

One only needs to look at what has happened in the NFL in recent years to understand why the game is looking to protect both players and itself.

Putting it back on the players shows a true lack of leadership

While I get that he is an emotive individual and that is just his style often I think he fails to manage this aspect of his role as best as he could. It wouldn't have been hard to clearly congratulate Wales and acknowledge some of their tactical nous whilst still clearly raising concerns about some of the decision making. I worry that genuine concerns get too muddled with Cheika as an individual and that we just don't have the respect for these genuine issues to carry the weight they should.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It was a pretty disheartening loss, wasn't it. Really felt we had that game in our grasp, but Wales were just too smart for us.

Our forward pack may be as good as it's ever been, and to see it squandered like that brings a tear to this old second-rowers eye.

Bring on the Dave Rennie era.

Crikey when the team has lost you Barbs we're in trouble!

In all seriousness though, that is a shattering loss, because it's hard to see a pathway to winning the Cup from here. Too many massive games in a row against seriously good teams.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Crikey when the team has lost you Barbs we're in trouble!

In all seriousness though, that is a shattering loss, because it's hard to see a pathway to winning the Cup from here. Too many massive games in a row against seriously good teams.
All the quarter final exit predictions look about right at the moment.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I doubt even Dave Rennie can make our 10 stocks any better.

Hopefully something comes of the Lolesio or one of these other youngsters.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Where was Tongan Thor/ Folau Fainga'a, have they fallen out of favour or are they injured?

In the context of the game the selection of Cheika's boy Kepu over TT on the bench actually had a bigger impact. Yes Foley stunk the house down (what else was anyone expecting based on his recent form - South Africa, Samoa, most of super rugby?) but our loss of momentum in the 2nd half coincided with Kepu entering the game.

Our scrum had been totally dominant until Kepu, then he came on and we stopped going forward and conceded a bent arm (for pre-engage, Uelese was on as well by then) at a crucial point which allowed Wales to chew precious clock. He also conceded a trademark dumb penalty which let Wales into our territory and I think led indirectly to them re-establishing a 4 point lead. We did get a scrum penalty when he was on but the consensus was very much that we were lucky and if anything it looked like Kepu got stuffed.

A fresh TT's ball carrying would also have been pretty handy at a time when we needed points.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In the context of the game the selection of Cheika's boy Kepu over TT on the bench actually had a bigger impact. Yes Foley stunk the house down (what else was anyone expecting based on his recent form - South Africa, Samoa, most of super rugby?) but our loss of momentum in the 2nd half coincided with Kepu entering the game.

Our scrum had been totally dominant until Kepu, then he came on and we stopped going forward and conceded a bent arm (for pre-engage, Uelese was on as well by then) at a crucial point which allowed Wales to chew precious clock. He also conceded a trademark dumb penalty which let Wales into our territory and I think led indirectly to them re-establishing a 4 point lead. We did get a scrum penalty when he was on but the consensus was very much that we were lucky and if anything it looked like Kepu got stuffed.
What about the scrum penalty we earned that To'omua kicked for three points and the other one we earned that the Welsh acrobat kept in play which would have been a lineout on their 22 while Kepu was on the field?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The change isn't the finishers coming on, it's that the opposition can't maintain their super quick d-line speed for the whole game.

Which is the issue with putting To'omua starting at 10. He's going to look just as bad as all our other half options at the start of the game cause we still haven't worked out how to deal with a rush defense

I disagree. Maybe our attack would still be pretty ordinary with To'omua starting but the amount of errors forced from pressure would be reduced.... can't blame the rush defence for all of Foley's poor passes, poor kick, and missed tackles. To'omua would at least pass better and tackle better.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Remember, we boned the bastards at Twickenham in 2015 in a fixture we were destined to lose. Foley played a blinder, the old men Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) excelled and we crushed the rugby dreams of the old enemy.

Bring them on.

Yeah and we haven't beaten them since then. Remember when they played us at home and beat us 3-0.

B

Bobby Sands

I would like to see Fainga'a start and TT reserve TH prop. Very bizarre. Latu can be the sub.

Reactions: dru

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The last place we need change is in the forward pack, unless you're thinking of bringing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in for Pocock. I thought they were outstanding.

Could do worth giving Dempsey a shot tho, he looked sold in his last outing.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If we beat England, and then NZ, then SA in the Final.. now that would be an accomplishment despite the loss to Wales.
I’m not so sure there won’t be one upset in the remaining pool fixtures between Arg and England, England and France, and Wales and Fiji. If there is no upset it’d be a hell of a feat to make the final.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m not so sure there won’t be one upset in the remaining pool fixtures between Arg and England, England and France, and Wales and Fiji. If there is no upset it’d be a hell of a feat to make the final.

After Fiji's loss to Uruguay I just don't see it (them beating Wales). Likewise I'm not sure that Argentina have it in them - England look too good to me. France if they play like they did in that first half of the Argentina game maybe. They are an odd team with some real brilliance at times but again I'm unsure of a 80mins performance from them. At the very least I'm hoping England come out of it very battered and bruised.

No matter what, I now have a number of teams I will be cheering on over the next couple of weeks.