• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The most developed and creative player among those who are not now aligned with the Wallabies would be Irae Simone. Sure, he's playing 12 with the Vikings/Brumbies but has the skills to play 10, and at his present rate of progression at the Brumbies would make an admirable fist of the job for the Wallabies, especially in the context of the competition for the spot.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Big call BR.

The Wallaby 10 jersey is certainly going to be interesting next year, but a guy who has really only had half
a season of decent rugby at Super level doesn’t seem to me to be the guy we should be looking to slip into the 10 jersey - especially as it seems he is not likely to be playing their for the Brumbies from everything I’ve read.

Andrew Deegan has signed for the Rebels, hasn’t he? He might be a chance. Lucas & Harrison both seem very good prospects coming through. If one of them makes a good fist of Super, it might be tempting to throw them in and see how well they swim. Otherwise I’d imagine To'omua to be a likely candidate.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The most developed and creative player among those who are not now aligned with the Wallabies would be Irae Simone. Sure, he's playing 12 with the Vikings/Brumbies but has the skills to play 10, and at his present rate of progression at the Brumbies would make an admirable fist of the job for the Wallabies, especially in the context of the competition for the spot.

Lets just see Simone regularly lock down a regular Super Rugby starting spot before we start talking Wallabies BR

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I'd imagine it'll be To'omua. Which is why I'm really surprised Deegan went to the Rebels. Not great for his chances for him to be on bench for To'omua all Super Rugby season. Whereas I think he could have been the Tahs 10 and pushed for Wallabies selection.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah Simone has demonstrated a lot of potential for years, but it's taking him a long time to covert that potential into results at higher levels. I think it was 3 years ago that he won player of the year in the NRC, and its taken him a while to convert that to Super Rugby potential.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Big call BR.

The Wallaby 10 jersey is certainly going to be interesting next year, but a guy who has really only had half
a season of decent rugby at Super level doesn’t seem to me to be the guy we should be looking to slip into the 10 jersey - especially as it seems he is not likely to be playing their for the Brumbies from everything I’ve read.

Andrew Deegan has signed for the Rebels, hasn’t he? He might be a chance. Lucas & Harrison both seem very good prospects coming through. If one of them makes a good fist of Super, it might be tempting to throw them in and see how well they swim. Otherwise I’d imagine To'omua to be a likely candidate.

Deegan is a real chance. But if you think Simone has insufficient experience at Super level, then in what universe do either of Harrison or Lucas have any dibs on a test spot? I also think To'omua might be the go to player at 10, but there needs to be a bit more backup than we've been used to under Cheika and his true blue favourite. Just look where that has led us over the past 4 years.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lets just see Simone regularly lock down a regular Super Rugby starting spot before we start talking Wallabies BR

Did you not take any notice of Super Rugby this year RN? Or do you only take an interest in the Tahs? Simone spent most of the year at 12 for the Brumbies and really was the standout performer there after Kerevi in the four franchises.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah Simone has demonstrated a lot of potential for years, but it's taking him a long time to covert that potential into results at higher levels. I think it was 3 years ago that he won player of the year in the NRC, and its taken him a while to convert that to Super Rugby potential.

No, just needed him to join a franchise that valued him and his skills. He is far from the first player who couldn't make the grade at the Tahs only to become a class super player at the Brumbies. Most of them then go on to Wallabies selection. Will be interesting to see how far Simone can go after this RWC is over.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Deegan is a real chance. But if you think Simone has insufficient experience at Super level, then in what universe do either of Harrison or Lucas have any dibs on a test spot? .
Well, I didn’t suggest either of them had dibs on the spot - merely that they might come into calculations if they have good super rugby seasons. The clear difference is that they will presumably be playing 10, whereas Simone doesn’t appear likely to be. I agree with you that they would be long shots at this stage but, unless he plays 10 for some period for the Brumbies next year, I don’t really see Simone coming into calculations at all.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Deegan is a real chance. But if you think Simone has insufficient experience at Super level, then in what universe do either of Harrison or Lucas have any dibs on a test spot? I also think To'omua might be the go to player at 10, but there needs to be a bit more backup than we've been used to under Cheika and his true blue favourite. Just look where that has led us over the past 4 years.

I think Harrison and Lucas might be favoured because they actually play 10.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don’t think Simone showed anymore then Billy Meakes In 2019, one was just playing in a winning side and one wasn’t.

Is that you Michael Cheika? Not selecting players from a winning side (Samu, Powell, Kuridrani, Fainga'a, Pulu, Banks) is just one of the many unfathomable traits of our national coach.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Is that you Michael Cheika? Not selecting players from a winning side (Samu, Powell, Kuridrani, Fainga'a, Pulu, Banks) is just one of the many unfathomable traits of our national coach.
Which of those players actually deserve selection in the 23 though?
Samu - would be a bench option at best replacing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)- probably not a huge difference
Powell - would not make 23
Kuridrani - Has had ample opportunities at 13 and has not performed for around 2 years. I don't think you can play Kerevi and him together and Kerevi isn't likely to get dropped
Fainga'a - could replace Jordan but unlikely to start
Pulu/ Banks - both could start on one wing especially with Hodge suspended.
So overall, some of those players could be options in 23 but the comment was largely hyperbole.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Just leave it alone eastman. We've been down this rabbit hole before, and nobody wants to do it again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Next year is going to be wild. I strongly suspect this Walla side have not yet hit bottom. No Kerevi, no Folau, no recognised or experienced 10s and losing our best lock.

Could be a long year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Next year is going to be wild. I strongly suspect this Walla side have not yet hit bottom. No Kerevi, no Folau, no recognised or experienced 10s and losing our best lock.

Could be a long year.

I don't know why, but I'm optimistic.

We'll have a new coach, who will hopefully be better at extracting talent out of our players.

While Arnold is a big loss, we have a solid forward pack who are currently chewing up everyone they face.

Kerevi is also a big loss, but there's enough talent to cobble together a half-decent backline - JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia, DHP, Koro, To'omua etc.

And we'll have the first of our crop of gun under 20s coming through, which will be great to see.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree with that Barbs. The hardest thing for me to swallow is the wasted four years since the last RWC. This group could be world beaters, but they've gone backwards and it just shits me.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree with that Barbs. The hardest thing for me to swallow is the wasted four years since the last RWC. This group could be world beaters, but they've gone backwards and it just shits me.
The thing that shits me the most is we finally have a pack that can match up to other countries in the set piece meanwhile we no longer have a backline.

Every time this team addresses a flaw they lose a strength. It's idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.